Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Naqaima

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Has Naiqama ever played FB for a sustained period at club level? If not then I doubt he’d be a Barba replacement. I’ve always had the impression that Morgan has never fit in with he squad or the country so I think it’s more likely a replacement for Morgan who’ll probably ask to be released. That doesn’t mean Barba won’t leave though. I could be wrong but I don’t think Naiqama has ever played FB in the NRL so why would we sign him for that position?
    He played fullback for a few games last year when Tedesco was playing Origin but soon as he came back he was back in the centres.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thingy View Post
    Pretty sure you canÂ’t loan or dual reg an overseas player, I wouldnÂ’t be desperate to let Morgan go anyway as heÂ’s performing miles better these past 5/6 games than he has previously anyway.
    I think you’re right mate, even if you could it would take a lot of negotiating and would probably see a couple of players having to move clubs to make it work, depending on who the club is, the cap etc. Only way it could work for this season is if one of our backs wants and gets a release granted and it would have to be a first choice player really.

One thing Barba’s signing has showed is how important a bit of ambition is. Barba could turn any of the top 6 into favourites IMO, it’s like having a Super League player playing under 16’s. A year or two ago, Saturday’s game might have been a bit closer but he’s scored and set up a couple of miracle tries that no-one else in the league could have and it looked simple in the end. Signing a player of Barba’s ability may never happen again but the difference that the Barba’s, Lyon’s, Pryce’s, Sculthorpe’s etc make is worth being a bit light in the reserves for.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    It's happened numerous times over the years where people have been released from their contract to move overseas.
    Maybe I haven't paid enough attention in the past. I've heard of several cases where there are 'problems', homesickness etc which has led to this, but not really where there is no other reason to leave apart from to go back to a 'better' club and a bigger payday.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    He played fullback for a few games last year when Tedesco was playing Origin but soon as he came back he was back in the centres.
    I remember this Drake, and he did play at 1 for Fiji in the world cup last year didn't he? I find it telling that this season with Tedesco gone from the Tigers, it's been Lolohea or Corey Thompson (who they signed from Widnes) who has played full back. I think that tell's you Naqaima's best position is in the outside backs, rather than full back.

This is an interesting story and if this potential signing is about finding a replacement for Ryan Morgan, I think it's a good deal. I think it's clear with the coach-Justin Holbrook's team selections, that he likes to have an athletic side. And rightly so as far as I'm concerned. But speed and power aren't Morgan's strengths and so it wouldn't surprise me if Saints are willing to release him. It would certainly show some ruthlessness with recruitment, which has been lacking in previous years it should be said. And whilst I think Saints could do worse than playing Makinson in the centres with Swift outside him as Holbrook did earlier in the year, if the club want to look to the NRL for a replacement, of those that are OOC at the end of the year and could be available, I think Naqaima, along with Josh Morris, Dale Copley and Brenko Lee are the best of the bunch.

If saints are looking for a full back to replace Barba, then there's only one name that stands out on that list and that is Jarryd Hayne. Is he happy being a centre option at Parra? I'm not so sure that fits well with his ego and he would certainly fancy his chances of filling Barba's boots I bet. If the plan would be to put Lomax back there and Saints look for a half, then I agree with Saint Toppy and would say Blake Austin would be an exciting signing. The best option though clearly, is to try and persuade Barba to stay. Those who've said that losing the coach would be a bigger loss than Barba, are wrong for mine,. Barba is a genuine match winner who has made all the difference to this side. You only have to look at the Castleford side without Hardaker and Eden. They simply don't have the strike in their team that they had last year.

Regards,

STEVO

Learning All The Songs theres only one stan wall's Avatar

Jarod Hayne........we’ve zero chance of signing him plus he never stays at any club for more than five minutes. Naiqama would be a superb signing for the centres but being realistic, if Barba leaves if he looking at the likes of Escare, Mead at Catalan & Matautia at Leigh.

10/12/1989 12-12 v Dewsbury (H) Regal Trophy.
    Att:5,847 (Loyal supporter ever since).

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

It might be Haynes lifelong dream to play for St Helens. He is running out of them by now!

Even if we could contemplate signing him i wouldn't. He's a good player for sure but he's also a complete prima donna who causes trouble wherever he goes

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by theres only one stan wall View Post
    Jarod Hayne........we’ve zero chance of signing him plus he never stays at any club for more than five minutes. Naiqama would be a superb signing for the centres but being realistic, if Barba leaves if he looking at the likes of Escare, Mead at Catalan & Matautia at Leigh.
    I've heard he's signed at Cas.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Picked to play at centre tomorrow.
    Not anymore, isnt even in the 17.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nrl...ack-to-the-nrl

Reports emerging in Aus re Naiqama.
    Barba’s agent flying to England to sort his future.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nrl...ack-to-the-nrl

Reports emerging in Aus re Naiqama.
    Barba’s agent flying to England to sort his future.
    I actually take that as really good news. If Barba had settled on going, he would of been able to have that conversation with his agent over the phone instructing him in getting clubs interested. The fact his agent feels the need to head half way over the world says he thinks theres some convincing he needs to do...

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I actually take that as really good news. If Barba had settled on going, he would of been able to have that conversation with his agent over the phone instructing him in getting clubs interested. The fact his agent feels the need to head half way over the world says he thinks theres some convincing he needs to do...
    I’m thinking differently unfortunately.
    For me Barba has a contract that includes next year so there would be no need for his agent to come over unless Barba was interested in going back to Aus. I think he’ll go back end of the season and you can’t nlane him, he’s an unbelievable player.

Got A Season Ticket

For me Barba has a contract that includes next year so there would be no need for his agent to come over unless Barba was interested in going back to Aus. I think he’ll go back end of the season and you can’t nlane him, he’s an unbelievable player.
    I agree. It's dangerous to speculate but the fact that his agent is coming over usually doesn't bode well as, contractually, there's a potential release to be negotiated. It's a shame because he and Naiqama in the same side would be frightening.

Got A Season Ticket

Listening to that radio chat and it’s just speculation, no more. Barba seems to be absolutely loving it here and I expect he will see out the remainder of his contract and return home with a bag full of medals and GF rings, just as Jamie Lyon did.

In The South Stand

I can only really see one scenario for this signing unfortunately and that is as replacement fullback next year when Barba has gone.

Learning All The Songs

If we sign Naiqama to play full back it will have similar results as Lance at stand off

In The West Stand

Why would his agent come if he was set on going back?

Starting A Programme Collection

Excuse for a trip to the UK?
    Scoping possibilities?
    Improved contract terms for Barba to stay at Saints?
    Extended contract for Barba at Saints?
    Agreeing terms of a release for Barba to go back to the NRL?
    Could be any of the above - but seeing as Benny is hot property at the moment, it's probably a good a time as any for the agent to be tending to his client while Barba's currency is at it's highest.

Banned

To have a meeting with Saints and negotiate a way out??

We are now on to what if this why that...etc.

Some many reasons if you have a good imagination. Maybe he’s bringing him some Chiko rolls, Splice, Lemingtons and Vegemite.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Excuse for a trip to the UK?
    Scoping possibilities?
    Improved contract terms for Barba to stay at Saints?
    Extended contract for Barba at Saints?
    Agreeing terms of a release for Barba to go back to the NRL?
    Could be any of the above - but seeing as Benny is hot property at the moment, it's probably a good a time as any for the agent to be tending to his client while Barba's currency is at it's highest.
    And all would be done over the phone/ skype - particularly the negotiating suggestions. In fact, I don't doubt that all of those things are ongoing at the moment - face time is a hot commodity, and agents would only pay it when theres something to be gained from it. Barba having deciding to go back to Aus would mean his agent is in front of as many NRL clubs as possible, not flying over here. Hence why, on balance, I think there are more reasons for his agent coming over that point to Barba staying as opposed to him going - at least at this point

Maybe Barba has decided he wont be going back to Aus and trying to drop his Aussie Management team

Learning All The Songs

From reading the many reports an early release wouldn't be a surprise.

Why would he come over at all if there wasn't going to be a change in his contract? He isn't coming to negotiate an extension thats for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

His agent will have many clients no doubt and could be heading over to the UK (if indeed he is doing) for any number of reasons which may or may not have anything to do with Ben Barba. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by The Surveyor View Post
    His agent will have many clients no doubt and could be heading over to the UK (if indeed he is doing) for any number of reasons which may or may not have anything to do with Ben Barba. We’ll just have to wait and see.
    The bit in brackets reflects my thinking on this. The mention of his agent travelling to the UK just reads to me like the kind of throwaway line you get in sport gossip columns. It’s probably made up.
    Last edited by Dux; 17th May 2018 at 14:44.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    If we sign Naiqama to play full back it will have similar results as Lance at stand off
    Why ? He's played fullback before. You could also say it could have the same result as Pryce at stand off.