Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Percival One Match Ban

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    But we see more back chat than ever before ?

I don't think we do see more backchat.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    I don't think we do see more backchat.

Watch some old videos, for far more back chat now.

I was marched 10m formasking the ref what a decision was for when I played in the 90s. Now you can scream at the ref and often it's ignored

In The South Stand

I was marched 10m formasking the ref what a decision was for when I played in the 90s. Now you can scream at the ref and often it's ignored
    Back then we called the ref sir and they took no backchat,there was a vicar who reffed the n.w. counties who would penalise for swearing.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Back then we called the ref sir and they took no backchat,there was a vicar who reffed the n.w. counties who would penalise for swearing.
    I remember him, he was from Widnes and drove a snazzy little sports car, he was a character

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    I remember him, he was from Widnes and drove a snazzy little sports car, he was a character
    personally i found it quite a challenge to play a whole game without swearing

It’s partly a reflection of the way society and particularly authority has backed up and backed up and allowed the lunatics to take over the asylum under the pretentiousness and restraints of political correctness. Teaching and policing the prime examples. Imagine the systems of yesteryear putting up with the scrotes of today’s society? No individual’s fault, just the restraints and systems they have to work to. Same with referees standing there while being given an earful - it’s gradually become acceptable to have zero respect
    Last edited by Sean Day; 18th April 2018 at 06:17.

Got A Season Ticket

Well, you might be right, but watching selected old videos and relying on memory isn't evidence either way. The fact is we don't have reliable evidence that I know of, so we're all working on impressions coloured by our opinions. It would be good if the RFL shared with us the evidence they have (If any) for the 'campaign's they periodically wage against given offences. At the risk of widening the debate, it's my impression that we see fewer flops than we used to do after referees were instructed to focus on them as a problem.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Simeon Stylites View Post
    Well, you might be right, but watching selected old videos and relying on memory isn't evidence either way. The fact is we don't have reliable evidence that I know of, so we're all working on impressions coloured by our opinions. It would be good if the RFL shared with us the evidence they have (If any) for the 'campaign's they periodically wage against given offences. At the risk of widening the debate, it's my impression that we see fewer flops than we used to do after referees were instructed to focus on them as a problem.
    Back chat is something that did not happen. Now it does. This has happened over a period of time, if watching videos of actual games and players and the interaction between players isn't evidence I don't know what is? You prefer some manipulated stats over visual recordings? Sorry but that is actual evidence, so it's there and it's clear, backmchat and gobbling off to the officials is now part of the game and it wasnt

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    It’s partly a reflection of the way society and particularly authority has backed up and backed up and allowed the lunatics to take over the asylum under the pretentiousness and restraints of political correctness. Teaching and policing the prime examples. Imagine the systems of yesteryear putting up with the scrotes of today’s society? No individual’s fault, just the restraints and systems they have to work to. Same with referees standing there while being given an earful - it’s gradually become acceptable to have zero respect

Fully agree, pupils fail and it's the teachers fault. Officials get abuse its their fault for making a mistake, always a justification for poor behaviour.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Back to the thread Percy is a professional and getting a ban for back chat when we are without two of our best players at the moment warrants a big club fine for me.

On a bigger point only the captain should talk to the referee and ANY back chat should be a penalty and a 10 yard march. That will stop it.

As for refereeing standards they simply need to improve.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Back to the thread Percy is a professional and getting a ban for back chat when we are without two of our best players at the moment warrants a big club fine for me.

On a bigger point only the captain should talk to the referee and ANY back chat should be a penalty and a 10 yard march. That will stop it.

The 10 yard march used to be used all the time for even a word under the breath. Now you’re lucky if you see it once or twice a season, despite the back chat being worse

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post

I agree with your points but I don’t think anyone else has made the first point on either of the two threads in which refereeing is currently being discussed. Players deserve to be on the receiving end of club discipline when they insult an official, give away a penalty and get a ban. I understand that Percy was frustrated but he should learn a bit of self control.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I agree with your points but I don’t think anyone else has made the first point on either of the two threads in which refereeing is currently being discussed. Players deserve to be on the receiving end of club discipline when they insult an official, give away a penalty and get a ban. I understand that Percy was frustrated but he should learn a bit of self control.

The problem is that it’s not the first time he’s done it. Some people never learn.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    The problem is that itÂ’s not the first time heÂ’s done it. Some people never learn.
    The Brough incident illustrates the fact that some people never seem to learn but Percy is still young and should not want to become a wasted talent. Someone at the club needs to consider the best way of making him and others in the team, learn from his mistake. Losing your temper is a loss of self control and can lead to further penalties and mistakes on the field. Surely sports psychologists can come up with coping strategies to deal with bad decisions?

As a sport we also need to instill respect for officials even when they get things wrong. I’ve already gone into this on the other thread and listed the use of “sir” to the ref and no first names by the ref as a starting point. When I was young and played rugby at school the ref was always a teacher and “ sir” came naturally from a fairly early age.

It’s frustrating that, when we’ve lost Roby, Walmsley, Swift and, some people think, Fages to injury, a moment’s loss of self control should unnecessarily lose us one of our most talented players. I just think Percy needs to learn from his mistake and a bit of club discipline might help.
    Last edited by Suttoner; 18th April 2018 at 11:09. Reason: Funny symbols?

Got A Season Ticket

Back chat is something that did not happen. Now it does. This has happened over a period of time, if watching videos of actual games and players and the interaction between players isn't evidence I don't know what is? You prefer some manipulated stats over visual recordings? Sorry but that is actual evidence, so it's there and it's clear, backmchat and gobbling off to the officials is now part of the game and it wasnt
    Fair enough if that's your view; it isn't mine.

Reading JH latest interview, he pulls no punches about how unacceptable Percy’s reaction was to the penalty. Saying he let the team down and himself.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Reading JH latest interview, he pulls no punches about how unacceptable Percy’s reaction was to the penalty. Saying he let the team down and himself.
    I’ve read the article you’ve posted on the 19 for Huddersfield thread. It makes interesting reading and you’re right, he pulls no punches about Percy’s reaction.

I’m still getting used to JH’s refreshing honesty. No evasion, no excuses and a good analysis of what went wrong at Wakefield.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Whilst I'm against the theory of 'biased' ref's I am willing to make an exception for Ian Smith - he hated Saints and the club and him definitely had history for a while. I remember he was lucky not to get his head stoved in after a terrible performance against Hull KR at Knowlsey Road back in the day. Gobshite referee.
    I had to stop my friend climbing over a wall after a game to get at Smith as he was so biased in a game Saints lost (away at Sheffield I think quite a few years ago. She would have been happy to get jailed for just one big slap! 😈

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    I had to stop my friend climbing over a wall after a game to get at Smith as he was so biased in a game Saints lost (away at Sheffield I think quite a few years ago. She would have been happy to get jailed for just one big slap! ��
    Seem to remember we use to get him a lot in the Yorkshire away games, didn’t Daniel Anderson blow a gasket over the blokes performance. Might have been DA but didn’t one of our coaches request not to have him ref against us for the remainder of that season.

A few years after retiring he admitted having mental depression problems but I don’t know if that was during game days.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Whilst I'm against the theory of 'biased' ref's I am willing to make an exception for Ian Smith - he hated Saints and the club and him definitely had history for a while. I remember he was lucky not to get his head stoved in after a terrible performance against Hull KR at Knowlsey Road back in the day. Gobshite referee.
    Spot on. I remember a run of derby games when we ended up with him in each one and he was a disgrace. I'm sure the club officially complained about him at one point.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS