Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Out of contract

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Brian Carney has posted on Sky that Sam Tomkins is heading to Catalan and expects Zak Hardacker to move to Wigan.
    Cannot see them allowing Gildart to go if this is as nailed as he thinks.
    At least now Eddie Hemmings will be able to drool over Ratboy even more as aren't every Catalans home match is televised?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    At least now Eddie Hemmings will be able to drool over Ratboy even more as aren't every Catalans home match is televised?
    Does he commentate on Saturdays? I do agree about the drooling.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Signed a years extension.
    Opps missed that.

Not the end of the world, unless he is on a masive wedge.

Nothing personal. Allways viewed him as a thinking mans' Mark Edmundson.

Not big enough for a prop. not the right kind of mobility for a second row , and no left to right pass.

Think saints should seek to recruit geniunue props and proper gilmour like second rows rather than neither neithers but hayho.

He has done well this season , got his hair cut and lost the high five nonsense.

Be interesting to see who else stays and goes.

Also echo ralphs thoughts re Morgan.
    He is a good centre need to stop bagging him and give him some ball in good ball.

Learning All The Songs

Back to Gildart, apparently on the BBC’s RL podcast they said that we are interested. Seems that it’s either his agent trying to get him a better contract or there is genuine interest. If the latter, then that surely means the end for Morgan (that or Percival’s off to the NRL which I would think there’s no chance of happening yet). Even if he hasn’t been in as good form so far this season it’d be a great signing and a definite upgrade on Morgan, not sure I see it happening though. Wigan could find themselves needing to do a lot of recruitment for next season though.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Benny View Post
    I wish I knew half as much about something as folk on here claim to know about Saints.
    Not sure who you’re referring to because I don’t claim to know anything.

Learning All The Songs

You said it, not me.
    What am I claiming to know? You clearly aren’t the brightest of people.

IF..
    Barba was to leave at the end of the season and take his riches with him - would you try and sign Sam Tomkins?
    I feel sick saying it but he is a good player with an X factor that others dont have.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ande View Post
    IF..
    Barba was to leave at the end of the season and take his riches with him - would you try and sign Sam Tomkins?
    I feel sick saying it but he is a good player with an X factor that others dont have.
    Ridicululous post.
    No.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ande View Post
    IF..
    No.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Ridicululous post.
    No.
    Why? Alright for them to sign Andy Platt, Gary Connolly and Micky Higham from us.
    If Sam Tomkins stays fit and plays like he is doing now, then yes why not sign him as a replacement for Ben.
    Joynty, Longy and Tommy Mak are all Wigan born and bred, the former represented us brilliantly the latter is the form winger in Super League and also a brilliant finisher.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Why? Alright for them to sign Andy Platt, Gary Connolly and Micky Higham from us.
    If Sam Tomkins stays fit and plays like he is doing now, then yes why not sign him as a replacement for Ben.
    Joynty, Longy and Tommy Mak are all Wigan born and bred, the former represented us brilliantly the latter is the form winger in Super League and also a brilliant finisher.
    Tomkins is a little rat. He wouldn’t fit in with the culture at Saints he milks penalties, has sly foul play and spits his dummy out more than any other player in the league right now, no thanks.
    Lomax has been a better fullback than him for the past 2/3/4 seasons also.

The fans would hate him here and he’s crocked. So why would we sign him?

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Tomkins is a little rat. He wouldn’t fit in with the culture at Saints he milks penalties, has sly foul play and spits his dummy out more than any other player in the league right now, no thanks.
    Lomax has been a better fullback than him for the past 2/3/4 seasons also.

The fans would hate him here and he’s crocked. So why would we sign him?
    I agree with everything in this post although I suppose it would be a new twist watching a game and constantly hoping that someone totally cleans out one of our players.

Learning All The Songs

Bottom line on Tomkins at Saints is this - 1) Will he sell any more season tickets? = Probably see some people ripping theirs up at the news
    2) Will he sell more replica shirts with his name on? = Definitely not. Nobody will want his name on their shirt in St Helens.
    3) Will he deliver some silver? = He's good but he's not good enough to make that sort of difference to a team.

So the sums just don't add up. Marquee players have to pay their way in bums on seats and silverware at the end of the year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

This. I wouldn't support a Saints team with him in it.
    Neither would I, maybe go to a couple of games if injured. He is in the "Grubs Club" along with Terry Newton, Gareth Hock, Micky Mac and similar.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Back to Gildart, apparently on the BBC’s RL podcast they said that we are interested. Seems that it’s either his agent trying to get him a better contract or there is genuine interest. If the latter, then that surely means the end for Morgan (that or Percival’s off to the NRL which I would think there’s no chance of happening yet). Even if he hasn’t been in as good form so far this season it’d be a great signing and a definite upgrade on Morgan, not sure I see it happening though. Wigan could find themselves needing to do a lot of recruitment for next season though.
    Don't rate him at all. He's got a bit of pace and can be a bit of an elusive runner, but his defence isn't something I fear and he's not a 'natural' centre.

At best he's a 7/10 player, and certainly not someone we should be pursuing at what would need to be a top-end wage.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Don't rate him at all. He's got a bit of pace and can be a bit of an elusive runner, but his defence isn't something I fear and he's not a 'natural' centre.

At best he's a 7/10 player, and certainly not someone we should be pursuing at what would need to be a top-end wage.
    Agree Webbo but I do think he has talent. I guess we have to ask how much Holbrook could improve him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

Yep I've not seen anything to suggest he's worth a big contract

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

This. I wouldn't support a Saints team with him in it.
    Wouldn’t want the rat nor would I be happy about him playing in the red vee.. but I’d support Saints no matter who played for us. Ridiculous comment.

This would all seem to be completely academic as anyone who has the inside track is saying he’s already signed for Catalans

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Yep I've not seen anything to suggest he's worth a big contract
    It’s not whether he’s worth a big contract though is it? It’s whether he would be worth the same contract as Morgan (or less)?

Personally think Saints aren’t expecting to sign him, they’re just testing the waters and trying to push Wigan into a decision

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Wouldn’t want the rat nor would I be happy about him playing in the red vee.. but I’d support Saints no matter who played for us. Ridiculous comment.
    Agreed, if a player pulls a Saints jersey I support them.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

I think Gildart is a touch overrated but he can finish, I wouldn't mind him at Saints if Morgan is going plus it would pee the Pie Eaters off. Under no circumstances would I want Tomkins at Saints, he's grubby little git who's best days are behind him. Regardless of whether he's good enough there are just certain players who would never have worn the redvee like Edwards or Farrell, it just wouldn't have been right, difference is though they would have been more than good enough.

Learning All The Songs saint mac's Avatar

A few weeks ago Edwards said he would never rule out coming back to RL as a coach.Would anyone want him at Saints as Coach.I wouldn’t .

Noooobie

We could do worse than Gildart as I’m not overly convinced with Ryan Morgan. Can’t see it happening though! As for Tomkins, I hear it’s a done deal that he has agreed a 4 year deal with Catalans from next season. I wouldn’t be opposed to Saints signing any good player available regardless of what team they currently play for. We could certainly do with a Centre for next season and maybe a Prop too.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

I agree I would be very surprised if Saints were interested in him but from what little I've seen of him this year he does seem to be maturing into a playmaker.

If he can stay injury free I think some club may get 4 or 5 goid seasons out of him