Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmsley

Learning All The Songs THELAST3YARDS's Avatar

So Walmsley is out and we apparently need to sign players because 2 of our other props are “gash”.

We appear to be doing ok with these guys so far. In a salary capped sport we’re not in a position to have 5/6 top props are we.

Get behind them and trust how Justin will amend the squad to cope without big Al.

We have Wilkin due back and Knowles too very soon.

If we look at how many forwards Leeds have had out this year then I think we’re doing ok.

COYS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THELAST3YARDS View Post
    So Walmsley is out and we apparently need to sign players because 2 of our other props are “gash”.

COYS
    Not particularly. Ive always been of the opinion that Amor is poor. I openly said this on here 3 years back and had numerous disagreements with SS on the subject. Nobody agreed with me back then and thats fine. Im not going to change that opinion simply because we are unbeaten. Im not that fickle. Also, i said in the off season that we needed to sign another big prop forward.

Two second rowers coming back from suspension and injury won’t strength in the front row. We’ve had a million second rowers over the years. It doesn’t balance the pack out.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

Personally I just don't think Amor offers enough at the moment. Salary cap and quota aside, I'd have loved to have seen a player such as Luke Page playing in the Red Vee. Now there's a bloke who runs his weight. There's a few film clips of him on You Tube knocking players down like a bowling ball at the alley. He literally skittles players. Hull KR wanted to sign him after the World Cup but hit red tape issues.

We appear to be doing ok with these guys so far. In a salary capped sport we’re not in a position to have 5/6 top props are we.
    Get behind them and trust how Justin will amend the squad to cope without big Al.
    We have Wilkin due back and Knowles too very soon.
    If we look at how many forwards Leeds have had out this year then I think we’re doing ok.
    COYS
    Think you have misread the mood of this topic. No one has mentioned not being behind the team. I put a point out for discussion (as this is a forum) about Amor / Douglas. If you look I said they are not bad players but maybe could do better.
    I have not asked for their heads and I don’t think anyone else had. Just a little debate to pass some time.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Not particularly. Ive always been of the opinion that Amor is poor. I openly said this on here 3 years back and had numerous disagreements with SS on the subject. Nobody agreed with me back then and thats fine. Im not going to change that opinion simply because we are unbeaten. Im not that fickle. Also, i said in the off season that we needed to sign another big prop forward.

Two second rowers coming back from suspension and injury won’t strength in the front row. We’ve had a million second rowers over the years. It doesn’t balance the pack out.
    I would argue that LMS has been our second best prop so far this year behind Thompson though? So two second rowers coming back, letting him return to being "just" a prop forward would improve the situation? Douglas has been slowly improving too, and though he hasnt started this year as strongly as he ended last year, is probably on benefit of doubt worth his spot.

Amor is an interesting one. His stats were significantly better vs Warrington, so it may well be improve or out, especially with Lees getting his shot. If the same Amor comes out and becomes the norm, hes worth his spot. If he falls back to the standard of the last 12 months, he will lose out to Lees/ Walmsley when he returns.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I would argue that LMS has been our second best prop so far this year behind Thompson though? So two second rowers coming back, letting him return to being "just" a prop forward would improve the situation? Douglas has been slowly improving too, and though he hasnt started this year as strongly as he ended last year, is probably on benefit of doubt worth his spot.

Amor is an interesting one. His stats were significantly better vs Warrington, so it may well be improve or out, especially with Lees getting his shot. If the same Amor comes out and becomes the norm, hes worth his spot. If he falls back to the standard of the last 12 months, he will lose out to Lees/ Walmsley when he returns.
    Scarsbrook is having a good season to be fair. I just hope that Amor and Douglas can raise their game to a new level over the next few weeks. I hope im wrong about them but i just don’t think either of them are up to it. We are lucky that Thompson is playing so well.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Think you have misread the mood of this topic. No one has mentioned not being behind the team. I put a point out for discussion (as this is a forum) about Amor / Douglas. If you look I said they are not bad players but maybe could do better.
    I have not asked for their heads and I don’t think anyone else had. Just a little debate to pass some time.
    Yes. Exactly, it’s just a debate and an interesting one. For me Thompson, LMS and Lees are all doing well. Amor isn’t terrible and has shown he can play well so I wonder why he isn’t hitting a run of form. We will miss Walmsley obviously. Taia and Peyroux are first choice starters in my view and Wilkin has been excellent this season. I don’t think we need to rush to sign a prop. Let’s wait and hopefully get a top class off loading prop for next season when salary cap space opens up. Knowles is back in time for Wigan as well.

Learning All The Songs

I've never been too worried about our front row. I don't think there's any teams in the league with 4 very good front rowers. Most have 2 impact lads who make all the yards and 2 who do significantly less, but work in pairs like we seem to do with Walmsley/Douglas & Thompson/Amor. Now it seems Walmsley is out for a spell I wouldn't be surprised if it's LMS who is more likely to take on Walmsleys role. I just can't see Amor ever stepping up to that plate where he's the dominant one of the two making all the yards. LMS only ran for over 100m twice in 28 games last year. He's reached 100m + in 3 of the first 5 games averaging 102m per game. I like the look of Lees also but too early to pass judgement on his as I've only seen him play twice. Walmsley will be a huge loss but not as disastrous as some are making out.

In The West Stand

Rumour has it that Hull are willing to listen to offers for Liam Watts as he's fallen out with Radford after the last red card... Wonder if they'd take Ryan Morgan in exchange? Been a whole 5 games since we had a good rumour!

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Rumour has it that Hull are willing to listen to offers for Liam Watts as he's fallen out with Radford after the last red card... Wonder if they'd take Ryan Morgan in exchange? Been a whole 5 games since we had a good rumour!
    Going to Castleford apparently. A great signing for them IMO

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Going to Castleford apparently. A great signing for them IMO
    Walmsley signing for Castleford, second attempt, Walmsley pretending to be injured so he can get over to Yarkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Walmsley signing for Castleford, second attempt, Walmsley pretending to be injured so he can get over to Yarkshire.
    Eh? Watts to Cas.

Learning All The Songs

Amor is a reasonable third or fourth prop but hasn't shown much more for a couple of seasons. With Walmsley and Thompson as our one and two, we're going to need Amor or LMS to make up the work when one of them is out. The Leeds and Wigan games (plus banana skin Rovers away) are going to be a lot tougher than the other games so far.

I don't buy the concern about Thompson doing long minutes though. He's still pretty young but his fitness levels are impressive and a prop who can do longer stints is going to offer us more value than one who's blowing out of their backside after 15 minutes.

Learning All The Songs

As pointed out I don't know a team with above two decent go forward props. The good thing about all our four remaining fit props is they can play decent minutes and defensively they can put a shift in. They are not exactly a major weakness. It is not exactly if we had Roby injured. I am confident they will do a job.

Noooobie

I hope the injury isn't too serious, would be a massive loss.

However, saying that I think this presents a perfect opportunity for our younger players to gain vital game time!

Just look at the likes of Matty Lees after Wilkin's absence. Personally I'd bring James Bently into the fold and keep Lees in aswell. Alternatively if Wilkin returns, just keep Lees in for Walmsley.

Plenty of the season left to play and we need to accept these things are going to happen. Let's trust our squad and academy!

Starting A Programme Collection

So we have an injured player, so what. At times it can be a blessing in disguise, Lees getting a few games on the trot could be the making of him. Also we have a squad of players that can be rotated when injuries occur. In the immortal words of corporal Jones, don't panic, don't panic.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Wilkin in for Walmsley this weekend and then when Knowles is back he probably comes in for Lees. It's not the end of the world.

Thompson, Roby, Amor, Peyroux, Taia, Wilkin

LMS, Douglas, Lees (then Knowles), Fages

We'll be fine I'm sure. Just need Douglas and Amor to step it up a bit.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Assuming we will be going with Thompson, Lees, Amor and Douglas, how does JH pair them up. I think the pair ups are as important as the individuals. I see Amor and Douglas not being a pair.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Assuming we will be going with Thompson, Lees, Amor and Douglas, how does JH pair them up. I think the pair ups are as important as the individuals. I see Amor and Douglas not being a pair.
    Scarsbrook seems to roam around the field but in the absense of Walmsley he could play more of a typical props game with Wilkin returning to the back row.
    I’d start with Amor and Thompson interchanging with Lees (or LMS) and Douglas.

I’m a little concerned about this one, I must say. My two main worries about this season were the halves and the front row. The halves have sorted themselves out nicely but I’m still not convinced we have sufficient depth of quality at prop. Thompson is obviously going great guns but after him we’re down to either underperforming players, players who don’t quite fit the role or players who are probably still too young to make an impact.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

5/5 and some people are still moaning.Lees comes in and slots in.Injuries happen we have not done much wrong so far so why slag players off?
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

We are bound to loose a game at some point during the year, so far I've not felt that the team has been under any sustained threat from opposing sides.
    It's not about being stand out players but how we play as a unit. Amor and Douglas may not be eye catching in attack, but in defence the whole pack including those guys have been incredibly solid.
    Warrington were limited to 2 kicks out wide and if we can do the same to Leeds and Wigan then I won't be complaining too much if going forwards the pack has a little less pazaz than usual.

Having that strike across the field takes some of the pressure off the forwards to gain 70-80 meters every set of 6, as even from 30-40 meters out we are a threat on the last tackle.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    So we have an injured player, so what. At times it can be a blessing in disguise, Lees getting a few games on the trot could be the making of him. Also we have a squad of players that can be rotated when injuries occur. In the immortal words of corporal Jones, don't panic, don't panic.
    We're gonna finish top 4 so losing a player or two won't make any difference atm, just need a full squad for play offs and challenge cup rounds

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    We're gonna finish top 4 so losing a player or two won't make any difference atm, just need a full squad for play offs and challenge cup rounds
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong but the inference there is that as long as we finish top 4 then it doesn't matter; I completely disagree. We have lost 3 years on the trot in an away semi final as a result of finishing 4th.

For me our aim has to be 1st or 2nd and a home semi final.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong but the inference there is that as long as we finish top 4 then it doesn't matter; I completely disagree. We have lost 3 years on the trot in an away semi final as a result of finishing 4th.

For me our aim has to be 1st or 2nd and a home semi final.
    Too right but I’d like the LLS even if people look down on it.