Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmsley

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Default Walmsley

Looks like we could be without Walmsley for a while, his neck and shoulder have not improved since the game on Friday and he is having scans today

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/..._scan_results/

Learning All The Songs

That’s exactly why we needed/need to sign a prop.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    That’s exactly why we needed/need to sign a prop.
    Thompson and Douglas to start, Amor and LMS*/ Lees on the bench

*Depending on whether Wilkin is back at lock.

Why do we need another one?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Thompson and Douglas to start, Amor and LMS*/ Lees on the bench

*Depending on whether Wilkin is back at lock.

Why do we need another one?
    Because two of them are pathetic and nowhere near good enough, LMS is either great or terrible so he’s not someone I’d want to be relying on (then again he’s in the last year of his contract so he’ll probably have a another blinder) and Lees is hardly good enough to replace Walmsley. I know it’s not as simple as this but one of Amor and Douglas should have been binned off at the end of last season for someone who doesn’t fall like a sack of shit and take half an hour to get off their arse. Let’s just pray Walmsley’s not out for longer than a month but that doesn’t sound likely.

Starting A Programme Collection

Always Ashworth he is more than good enough

Got A Season Ticket Voll au Vent's Avatar

Why the negativity SaintH517?
    Surely it presents an opportunity for one of the younger players to step up (Lees). Walmsley hasn't been our best prop so far this season. Thompson has been outstanding, and I'd be more worried if he were missing. Amor needs to up his game considerably but LMS is playing well this year so far and Douglas had a good game on Friday.

Got A Season Ticket Voll au Vent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cheify View Post
    Always Ashworth he is more than good enough
    Doesn't Ashworth have a shoulder problem?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I said in the off season (I wasn’t the only one) that we needed another prop to help Walmsley out. Amor and Douglas are gash. We could really do with loaning Matt Smith out and using the cash to bring in a big prop. He doesn’t need to be anything special. Just a big lad who can make some good yards off the bench, even if just for 15 minutes of each half.

Craig Kopcjak from Salford anyone?? They are looking to offload some players.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Didn't we have a short spell without Walmsley before and I seemed to remember Amor stepped up his performance, so we need him to show us that he still has some go forward to give us momentum. LMS and Thompson are going OK so its not being in panic mode yet.

I’m not too worried as long as we don’t get another prop injury. Wilkin returns, and Lees stays as AW replacement. I think Lees will be fine. Agree Douglas and Amor are not ripping it up, but even with Al playing they both would be playing anyway.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

He’s a huge loss over this period of games (assuming the worst), pointless trying to dress it up. People always look at metres these days and stats to judge peofrmances but the speed of his play-the-balls are huge for Saints, when he’s on the whole play speeds up. The reality is, he offers things that no other prop in the league can. Whoever fills in for him won’t offer what he does.

We’ll have to change our game a bit, we’ve got the players to do it (this time last year I’d have been extremely worried) but we’ll miss him.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Voll au Vent View Post
    Why the negativity SaintH517?
    Surely it presents an opportunity for one of the younger players to step up (Lees). Walmsley hasn't been our best prop so far this season. Thompson has been outstanding, and I'd be more worried if he were missing. Amor needs to up his game considerably but LMS is playing well this year so far and Douglas had a good game on Friday.
    I’d rather us not be in the position that we have to give a younger player a chance this early on in the season because of injury. Lees might be alright but he’s obviously nowhere near as good as Walmsley. Thompson has been our best prop I agree and by a mile but Amor and Douglas are that bad that no Walmsley is a big blow and LMS picks and chooses when he can be bothered. Amor and Douglas need to get a grip and we need Thompson and LMS to continue to perform how they are right now. If that happens then we’ll be fine but there’s no doubt in my mind that won’t happen. We really need to sign a new prop if Walmsleys out for longer than a month but unless we were to go and overpay for one of the top/good props in the league, with money we probably don’t have, them we’d just end up signing someone who’s marginally better than Amor and Douglas (like a Kopczak) which is a waste of time. Difficult it is to tell how bad they reckon Walmsleys injury is, by saying it’s highly unlikely he’ll play Friday that doesn’t sound too bad but straight after Holbrook says it’s not goodz. I thought it looked bad at the time but fingers crossed I suppose.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    He’s a huge loss over this period of games (assuming the worst), pointless trying to dress it up. People always look at metres these days and stats to judge peofrmances but the speed of his play-the-balls are huge for Saints, when he’s on the whole play speeds up. The reality is, he offers things that no other prop in the league can. Whoever fills in for him won’t offer what he does.

We’ll have to change our game a bit, we’ve got the players to do it (this time last year I’d have been extremely worried) but we’ll miss him.
    The only stat I know is that we perform better with him on the field than when he’s off. It is time for Amor and Douglas to step up and I think they are both capable of doing it.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

He lifts the team when he comes on.

I've not kept a tally but he also seems to get us a few penalties

Banned

It’s a blow but it’s better for him to miss some games now rather than at the business end of the season.

The others need to step up, simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad news that is. I dont like the sound of "His neck and shoulder haven't improved since Friday and that is always a worry". These next two months are going to mean all hands to the pump from this squad, with Leeds and The Goons coming up fast, I hope we dont get too many more.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Hoping for a speedy recovery for him and of course he is going to be missed. However, I am not as downhearted as maybe I would have been last year; I don't think he has been particularly great this year yet and with Thompson playing the way he is I don't think we are as heavily reliant on Walmsley. That's not to say we won't miss him; I just think we can cope a bit better this year.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Starting A Programme Collection

Looks like Walmsley could have done with more of a rest in the off season - so if sidelined, though he will be missed, hopefully has a chance to recover well and come back stronger. We will need him more as the season goes on and this gives a chance for other props to raise their performances. Amor and Douglas in particular being have improvement in them and as senior players should be stepping up.

Regards others stepping up. I have mentioned my slight concerns before re Amor and Douglas. Am I being too harsh or are they the weak links in our team? I can’t help thinking during games those two just carry to the defender and lay down. Thompson, LMS, and Lees on Friday did not do that. Do we need to look to replace them (or one)? Thoughts.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Regards others stepping up. I have mentioned my slight concerns before re Amor and Douglas. Am I being too harsh or are they the weak links in our team? I can’t help thinking during games those two just carry to the defender and lay down. Thompson, LMS, and Lees on Friday did not do that. Do we need to look to replace them (or one)? Thoughts.
    I know what you mean; they are certainly in danger of being in the "plodder" category. They don't run with half the enthusiasm that Thompson does; they are more concerned with "winning the floor" and getting a quick play the ball. Whereas Thompson simply catches the balls and runs as fast and hard as possible.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

I think there are two issues that need to be addressed before Saints go to the market for any replacements. Firstly, although the number off carries/metres made by Amor and Douglas are low when compared with Thompson and Walmsley, are they offsetting this by greater contributions in other areas such as tackles made, clean breaks and offloads? Secondly, if there are no compensating benefits, are there better-performing players available elsewhere who would be willing or able to join Saints for the same money?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

You’re not being particularly harsh on Douglas and Amor. I called them gash, which was a bit harsh to be fair. They’re just not what i like in a prop forward. Amor lost us that game against Wigan last season. He gets butchered due to his lack of size, and Douglas just floats somewhere between invisible and average at best. As Giraffe says, its a good thing that Thompson is playing so well lately.

Like i said further up the thread, ideally we could do with bringing a prop in. I’d like us to offload Smith and use the money to try sign Kopcjak from Salford. He’s a strong running prop forward.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Amor did have a really good season with us when he first came and I am surprised under JH he has yet to do that again. My other concern is Thompson is doing a mass of minutes on the field. I get the impression he likes that but long term that’s can’t be good down the season. Amor and Douglas appear (no stats though) when watching to do a lot less minutes. I guess it’s because JH knows how much we need Luke. I will feel a little better if Lees can improve our metres per carry which I think he can. They are not bad players and I guess I am comparing them to Luke and Al. But I can’t stop feeling they are just not good enough for this team now. The other thing we lack in any of our props is an off loader who makes defenders think it could happen anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    ....Amor lost us that game against Wigan last season....
    And here’s me thinking it was Thaler at fault.

In The South Stand

I'm going to put a more positive spin on this, here goes:

1) I think walmsley is an awesome prop but I actually think Thompson has been arguably our best this season and was outstanding against wire, and he's still available.

2) Amor was our player of the year 2 years ago and has it in him to get back somewhere bear that form. Now's his chance to show his worth.

3) young lads usually get their chance when an established player gets hurt. Lee's has been around the fringes of the squad for a couple of seasons and needs to lay a claim for one of the prop spots. Now's his chance.

4) Douglas has improved slightly this season.

Basically if Holbrook can get the best out of what we have and the players want to be part of something at saints I don't see it being as bad as we are making out.