Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Schofield fancies Saints

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Not particularly. I think we’re the most realistic set of supporters around. If we think we’re poor the majority of us will call it IMO. No reason not be confident that we can achieve something next season. Its natural for supporters to be optimistic of next season during the off season. At least we are putting ourselves out there and not sitting on the fence.
    In a 12 team league with only 3 trophies up for grabs its easier to be negative like yourself Johnny. More chance of being right saying we’ll achieve nothing.
    Where do you think we will finish next season? Do you think we will win anything?
    Nope - I don't.

Just not got that fear factor anymore....we will be nearly men again

I fancy them too.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

There is a good balance in the team, enough quality to cover for injuries in the pivotable positions. Should be less of a struggle for top 4, to be optimistic maybe top 2.
    We
    For silverware, we need a tougher mental approach and belief also we don’t want an injury crisis. It does sound as though Holbrook is doing more emphasis on ball handling skills which might reduce our very slow season starts.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyl View Post
    Nope - I don't.

If a fully fit Ben Barba doesn't provide fear and x factor then I don't know who will in Super League.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    If a fully fit Ben Barba doesn't provide fear and x factor then I don't know who will in Super League.
    Barba is a terrific player, its just the whole squad mentality that I question. We just haven't got that thing that we used to have

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    ... Holbrook is doing more emphasis on ball handling skills ...
    I was told last week by a relatively senior person at the club that Holbrook's training methods have been "revolutionary" this pre-season. Don't know exactly what that means and it might be a bit over the top but it sounds exciting whatever it is.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Nope - I don't.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

EDIT: out of interest which teams do you reckon will have that fear factor in 2018?
    Last edited by fishy3005; 15th December 2017 at 11:50.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    I fancy them too.
    I do every year, but maybe I'm getting confused with hope.

Barba is a terrific player, its just the whole squad mentality that I question. We just haven't got that thing that we used to have
    I think Holbrook has improved that side of us, we definitely have a never say die attitude now that we didn't really have under KC and our record under him was that of a top 2 side last year. There are flaws in this squad without a doubt and the half back situation is a big conundrum that Holbrook has to solve, but I'm confident in this current setup that we're on the up. We'll be close next year especially if Barba hits anything like he's capable of.

Learning All The Songs

I think Holbrook has improved that side of us, we definitely have a never say die attitude now that we didn't really have under KC and our record under him was that of a top 2 side last year. There are flaws in this squad without a doubt and the half back situation is a big conundrum that Holbrook has to solve, but I'm confident in this current setup that we're on the up. We'll be close next year especially if Barba hits anything like he's capable of.
    Half backs isn't a conundrum. play Richardson and Fages and see how good they are. we know Matty Smith ain't gonna cut it

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    Half backs isn't a conundrum. play Richardson and Fages and see how good they are. we know Matty Smith ain't gonna cut it
    Not convinced on Fages in the halves at all, and neither is Holbrook judging on what we saw towards the end of last year. Agree on Smith though.

Learning All The Songs

Not convinced on Fages in the halves at all, and neither is Holbrook judging on what we saw towards the end of last year. Agree on Smith though.
    I think Fages struggled to play with Smith, as did Lomax when he played 6. Opposition knew Smith wasn't going to run the ball so could move up and close down any space Fages had.
    When he played with Richardson who took it to the line and regularly took the line on, defences had to give Fages more space because of the unpredictability of Richardson and what he was going to do.
    I agree he does go missing in some games but I've seen him put in more good performances than poor since he's been at Saints. He is still only 23 as well, plenty of time on his side.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    I was told last week by a relatively senior person at the club that Holbrook's training methods have been "revolutionary" this pre-season. Don't know exactly what that means and it might be a bit over the top but it sounds exciting whatever it is.
    He's also doing a lot of creative game plays which is encouraging because as we know Matty struggles in this department, for me whoever executes them better with composure in the half backs will be the front runners for those pivotal roles, would also like to see Grace coached to read the game a bit better.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    I think Fages struggled to play with Smith, as did Lomax when he played 6. Opposition knew Smith wasn't going to run the ball so could move up and close down any space Fages had.
    When he played with Richardson who took it to the line and regularly took the line on, defences had to give Fages more space because of the unpredictability of Richardson and what he was going to do.
    I agree he does go missing in some games but I've seen him put in more good performances than poor since he's been at Saints. He is still only 23 as well, plenty of time on his side.
    I think we might see him as sub who can spell Roby at hooker and provide halfback cover.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    I think we might see him as sub who can spell Roby at hooker and provide halfback cover.
    I would prefer Lomax at 6 with Fages spelling Roby

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Genius....'We haven't got that thing we used to have' and we won't until we win trophies and you can't get it until you do.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I would prefer Lomax at 6 with Fages spelling Roby
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant Fates as replacement hooker or halfback if needed

Sent from my ZTE BLADE V7 using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant Fates as replacement hooker or halfback if needed

Sent from my ZTE BLADE V7 using Tapatalk
    That would be my preference as well. I wonder what Holbrook will do. He seemed to like playing Smith last year. I think Smith is a better player than saw last season but I still don’t like him personally. I wouldn’t have smith on the bench because Fages could spell Roby at hooker and cover for a half back injury

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Genius....'We haven't got that thing we used to have' and we won't until we win trophies and you can't get it until you do.
    have it your way then

see you in October when you are full of excuses of what cudda shudda been

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    From what has been posted it seems that their pre season training has been directly related to playing rugby. And in the same country as they will be playing it in. So it's a huge improvement on ours and several other teams usual training.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

have it your way then

It's a date. I will see if I can bring the trophies along as well.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

have it your way then

Cudda shudda’s are worth something though mate. We had a stellar squad in the late 90’s but Michael Withers fingertip video ref decision went our way helping us win the grand final. Had we lost that grand final would you have considered us nearly men? When luck goes our way you can’t discount it in favour of an opinion that we are the dogs boll***.

Am i making sense?
    Everyone misses the Saints teams of the late 90’s like they were a team of Gods and try to ignore the fact that we were a Withers finger tip from losing the 1999 Grand Final.
    But this season the club shows huge ambition signing Ben Barba, the team outscore Cas away 5 scores to 3 and only lose because Percival can’t kick at least 1 of those simple kicks and the entire team gets referred to as ‘nearly men’.

Had we made the Grand Final theirs no guarantees we would have won it, but you see the point im making. You can’t just ignore our good fortune when it suits.

I don’t mind your opinion Johnny but the dig at our supporters was harsh. With the exception of one or two blind optimists the majority of us are very real.
    I openly critisised the signing of Hohaia before he pulled on the shirt in 2012 and before 2012 kicked off i said that we would struggle under Simmons. If i think we’ll do bad i will call it, as will most of our spectators.

As ive said a couple of times in previous weeks, if we keep Lomax and Barba fit, our forwards play to their potential and our youngsters continue to develop no reason we can’t be a top 2 team. Ideally i would have liked us to have signed another big prop to help out Walmsley but hey ho.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Cudda shudda’s are worth something though mate. We had a stellar squad in the late 90’s but Michael Withers fingertip video ref decision went our way helping us win the grand final. Had we lost that grand final would you have considered us nearly men? When luck goes our way you can’t discount it in favour of an opinion that we are the dogs boll***.

Am i making sense?
    Everyone misses the Saints teams of the late 90’s like they were a team of Gods and try to ignore the fact that we were a Withers finger tip from losing the 1999 Grand Final.
    But this season the club shows huge ambition signing Ben Barba, the team outscore Cas away 5 scores to 3 and only lose because Percival can’t kick at least 1 of those simple kicks and the entire team gets referred to as ‘nearly men’.

Had we made the Grand Final theirs no guarantees we would have won it, but you see the point im making. You can’t just ignore our good fortune when it suits.

I don’t mind your opinion Johnny but the dig at our supporters was harsh. With the exception of one or two blind optimists the majority of us are very real.
    I openly critisised the signing of Hohaia before he pulled on the shirt in 2012 and before 2012 kicked off i said that we would struggle under Simmons. If i think we’ll do bad i will call it, as will most of our spectators.

As ive said a couple of times in previous weeks, if we keep Lomax and Barba fit, our forwards play to their potential and our youngsters continue to develop no reason we can’t be a top 2 team. Ideally i would have liked us to have signed another big prop to help out Walmsley but hey ho.

Very true. My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    It's a date. I will see if I can bring the trophies along as well.
    Don't let him rope you in.

Am i making sense?

Didn't know much about Simmons before he came, but the rest mirrors my own thoughts.