Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: World Cup is done! ins and outs

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Default World Cup is done! ins and outs

I'm bored of the World Cup. I'm far more interested in saints. Do we have any more ins and outs? Not much excitement about on this forum but I can see us cleaning up this year. Regular season and one of g/f or c/Cup we have a better squad than anyone. I can see a great season coming full of optimism and now only approx 10 weeks away COYS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

When is this clown going to get banned? He just creates a thread every few weeks completely contradicting himself. It’s boring now. He posted all of this not long ago:

Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    Awful lot of people on other forums saying saints on favourites for everything this year and will wing LSS, GF etc etc. I just dont see how we are favourites we need a good prop and possibly a centre. Then we have Wilkin, LMS, who are waiting for pensions at the end of the year. Our squad is very small now. Peoples thoughts?
    With these players Roby Walmsley Lomax etc we should be walking super league. We should have a real big year this year and get some silverware. Gale has shown in GF and today he is awful unless he plays widnes
    I don't think we should be favourites, hull, cas, Leeds are better placed but we are on the way up. Holbrook has made 1 signing so we need him to be able to mould his squad. Then the trophies will come he will go back to nrl and we will all moan again
    You really that short on attention at home? Sad •••••••.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

Told you before you sad man yellow giraffe what a knob. Meet me anywhere you want and sort out the bee in your bonnet. I have a job pal can't post 50 times a day like you. What a boring clown you are. Get a life

Learning All The Songs

Roll on February...

Banned

I'm bored of the World Cup. I'm far more interested in saints. Do we have any more ins and outs? Not much excitement about on this forum but I can see us cleaning up this year. Regular season and one of g/f or c/Cup we have a better squad than anyone. I can see a great season coming full of optimism and now only approx 10 weeks away COYS
    Hopefully you are right,if asked what do i want from this season,a trip to Wembley is my first priority,it seems forever since we have had a trip to the capital.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1964 View Post
    Hopefully you are right,if asked what do i want from this season,a trip to Wembley is my first priority,it seems forever since we have had a trip to the capital.
    Yes I'm due a trip to Wembley

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

We can improve on last year if we can get more out of Barba, Amor, Richardson and Ashworth.

Barba now “bedded in” and should be more influential, Amor will want to better his poor 2017 season, Richardson will want more games under Holbrook and Ashworth if injury free could be our effective right edge secondrower for the future.
    For me in 2018 there should be no guarantees that Wilkin and Smith are automatically in the first 17, there will a pretty big shift in personnel in 2019 and hope Holbrook is still around to see it through.

Told you before you sad man yellow giraffe what a knob. Meet me anywhere you want and sort out the bee in your bonnet. I have a job pal can't post 50 times a day like you. What a boring clown you are. Get a life
    What's the amount of posts I make got to do with anything? How does that explain you changing your mind every week just to get attention on here? Sad little boy.

You do change your mind a lot though col81. Does not help your cause. Not sure asking someone out for a fight is very mature either. Deep breaths might help.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    We can improve on last year if we can get more out of Barba, Amor, Richardson and Ashworth.

Barba now “bedded in” and should be more influential, Amor will want to better his poor 2017 season, Richardson will want more games under Holbrook and Ashworth if injury free could be our effective right edge secondrower for the future.
    For me in 2018 there should be no guarantees that Wilkin and Smith are automatically in the first 17, there will a pretty big shift in personnel in 2019 and hope Holbrook is still around to see it through.
    If Wilkin and Smith are in the 17 regularly we won't be winning anything

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    You never know Smith might surprise us ;-) he maybe entering his golden years ;-)
    Wonder what his odds are for MoS ;-) ;-)

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Here we go again.

I just want everyone associated with the club to judge every single player in the squad equally. No more turning blind eyes to some players for whatever reason.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

Now Now Col don't contradict yourself and you won't get called out?

Got A Season Ticket Wise Old Elf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Ashworth if injury free could be our effective right edge secondrower for the future.
    Holbrook has already said he sees him in the front row.
    The Grind always leads to trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Elf View Post
    Holbrook has already said he sees him in the front row.
    I read that in the article last week but there was no actual quote from Holbrook. Does anyone know what he has said exactly?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    When the two players you have mentioned are (probably)some of the highest paid players at the club,rightly or wrongly they will play when fit,no coach is going to allow a big chunk of the cap sit in the stands.

Holbrook doesn't seem the type to are about reputations/wages. At various times he has dropped Amor and Smith and kept Swift out of the side; playing Lees, Richardson and Grace instead who will all be on much less then those already mentioned.

I genuinely believe Holbrook will pick the side based on who he feels will give us the best chance of winning any particular game.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Holbrook doesn't seem the type to are about reputations/wages. At various times he has dropped Amor and Smith and kept Swift out of the side; playing Lees, Richardson and Grace instead who will all be on much less then those already mentioned.

I genuinely believe Holbrook will pick the side based on who he feels will give us the best chance of winning any particular game.
    It needs to work both ways as well though, it can't just be some of the experienced lads getting stick if there are other players who have played poorly all season. I'm not saying that will be the case this season but I just want it to be a level playing field where he picks the team on ability and form.

As you say though, last year he stuck to his own opinions and changed the team a couple of times towards the back end of the season. That can't happen every week and there will need to be some continuity from the summer months onwards but it did show that whether you're 21 or 34, he'll pick the team he believes will win the game and will take you out if you're involved in that. Last year he took Peyroux out after a difficult start to his time at Saints but Peyroux trained hard, got his chance again and stayed in the team after that.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    It needs to work both ways as well though, it can't just be the older lads getting stick if there are other players who have played poorly all season. I'm not saying that will be the case this season but I just want it to be a level playing field where he picks the team on ability and form.

As you say though, last year he stuck to his own opinions and changed the team a couple of times towards the back end of the season. That can't happen every week and there will need to be some continuity from the summer months onwards but it did show that whether you're 21 or 34, he'll pick the team he believes will win the game and will take you out if you're involved in that. Last year he took Peyroux out after a difficult start to his time at Saints but Peyroux trained hard, got his chance again and stayed in the team after that.
    Yeah I agree. I do think he needs to have continuity too, especially in the halves. Whichever pair he starts with, he needs to give at least 6 games for example before he starts tinkering.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1964 View Post
    When the two players you have mentioned are (probably)some of the highest paid players at the club,rightly or wrongly they will play when fit,no coach is going to allow a big chunk of the cap sit in the stands.
    A good coach worth his salt would not pick a player who is bang out of form. It doesn't matter if he is a top earner or on peanuts. If he is not performing he gets dropped.

Yeah I agree. I do think he needs to have continuity too, especially in the halves. Whichever pair he starts with, he needs to give at least 6 games for example before he starts tinkering.
    Agree. I am hoping that over the off season JH will know his pairing and apart from injuries and dramatic drop in form he sticks with that. Putting a player in just because he has not played for a while won’t work. I’m hopeful as he did it with Swift last season.
    Slightly unrelated but nice to see was JH below comments.
    http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/...lens/?ref=ebls
    Seems to work hard ‘on and off the pitch’.

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Agree. I am hoping that over the off season JH will know his pairing and apart from injuries and dramatic drop in form he sticks with that. Putting a player in just because he has not played for a while won’t work. I’m hopeful as he did it with Swift last season.
    Slightly unrelated but nice to see was JH below comments.
    http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport/...lens/?ref=ebls
    Seems to work hard ‘on and off the pitch’.
    I like him more and more with every interview to be fair. He seems to be throwing himself fully into the club and the town and giving it his all. His interviews come across as honest and straightforward. No soundbites or hyperbole.

He does need to make a firm decision on how to start the season at half-back though and stick to it. He can't afford to go into the season still being unsure and rotating things constantly. He needs the courage to pick his 2 (with possibly one on the bench) and let them have a few games to work. If it doesn't, then make changes. If that means a high earner like Smith being out of the 17 for the first 6 games or more then so be it.

It’s refreshing to see him willing to see there are lots of things to learn from other sports. Making a club fan inclusive is a no brainer. He seems to have been instrumental in getting players out and about more with schools etc. I think that attitude also helps fans if the team are going through a few tough weeks in the season.
    I hope JH would have been given assurances by Rush etc that they are ok with leaving out a high earner if he is not performing. If we are winning that’s always going to help though. At the moment I am quietly optimistic and dare I whisper quite excited about the coming season.

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    It’s refreshing to see him willing to see there are lots of things to learn from other sports. Making a club fan inclusive is a no brainer. He seems to have been instrumental in getting players out and about more with schools etc. I think that attitude also helps fans if the team are going through a few tough weeks in the season.
    I hope JH would have been given assurances by Rush etc that they are ok with leaving out a high earner if he is not performing. If we are winning that’s always going to help though. At the moment I am quietly optimistic and dare I whisper quite excited about the coming season.
    I'd personally hope that wouldn't be necessary. Rush and McManus should have absolutely no say on team selection whatsoever. If you employ someone as head coach then you should leave them to do their job. It shouldn't matter how old a player is, how much he earns, where he is from, how long he's been at the club.etc.

Learning All The Songs

I'd personally hope that wouldn't be necessary. Rush and McManus should have absolutely no say on team selection whatsoever. If you employ someone as head coach then you should leave them to do their job. It shouldn't matter how old a player is, how much he earns, where he is from, how long he's been at the club.etc.
    If you was head coach, and every player was fit and ready to go for round 1 what would your first 17 be? And how different do you think it will be to JH's first 17 of the season?