Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changes to coaching staff

Got A Season Ticket

Default Changes to coaching staff

Just noticed on the club's website that Wello has been promoted and is now officially an assistant coach with the first team alongside Longy and Lolesi. Also, Ian Talbot has left his role as reserves team head coach and is now an assistant with the under 19s.

Only minor changes. Probably nothing much in it but I thought it was worth a mention.

Learning All The Songs

Wellen's is rock solid. Pleased for him although a slightly fudged set up with 3 assistant coaches

When you see Wello on the pitch rowsing the players, its as if he was still on there with them. He'd go through a brick wall (and Stan ) for the Saints. Well done Wello and I hope he goes on to futher things from that position.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I wonder if that means the end of the reserve grade games? Hull have already decided they won't be partaking next year.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I wonder if that means the end of the reserve grade games? Hull have already decided they won't be partaking next year.
    Saints have named three reserves coaches for next season on the website. It would be odd to do that if they weren't planning on having any games.

Upside
    Non Members

So far we'll has been outstanding coach, showing great promise, highly respected already.

I hope he continues to progress as a coach, I'm sure he will

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    So far we'll has been outstanding coach, showing great promise, highly respected already.

I hope he continues to progress as a coach, I'm sure he will
    Always intrigues me this. Having opinions on players is fair enough, people can see the impact a player has quite easily and can make a judgement on effort and ability. But how do you come up with this statement as a fan? Unless you are a player or very close to the set up, how would you know this? Wello being respected is an obvious one, he's a 10 year plus player who played internationally and won several trophies. But to state he's been outstanding? How so? Great promise? How do you know?

How would you compare Wello's development and potential versus Longy's for example?

Warrington last season was another example of coaches having reputations. Richard Agar was largely blamed for their nosedive and ultimate top 8 demise and his reputation was dirt. Yet at the end of the season he manages to get a job as Assistant Coach at St George, one of the NRL's bigger clubs.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Wello. A great player that I would love to see make a succesful transition to coach. Nothing but respect and best wishes for him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Always intrigues me this. Having opinions on players is fair enough, people can see the impact a player has quite easily and can make a judgement on effort and ability. But how do you come up with this statement as a fan? Unless you are a player or very close to the set up, how would you know this? Wello being respected is an obvious one, he's a 10 year plus player who played internationally and won several trophies. But to state he's been outstanding? How so? Great promise? How do you know?

How would you compare Wello's development and potential versus Longy's for example?

Warrington last season was another example of coaches having reputations. Richard Agar was largely blamed for their nosedive and ultimate top 8 demise and his reputation was dirt. Yet at the end of the season he manages to get a job as Assistant Coach at St George, one of the NRL's bigger clubs.
    Was it Anderson who said Longy and Wello could develop into future coaches whilst ignoring that accolade towards Scully, Cunningham, Pyrce etc. Longy looks as though he will always be a Maverick with Wello a bit more steadfast in his nature, Wello seems to be operating in the right environment now with the GB squad and picking up experience from Bennett.

Cunningham was thrown into the deep end given the job too early and his narrow perspective left him treading water after one season in the job. It may be that Wello will develop beyond Longy's current coaching abilities, if that is the case then we must hope "Mr St Helens" has a coaching future in the game whether that is with Saints or a lesser club we will just have to wait and see, its something we shouldn't dismiss based on the failures of previous past players.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    When you see Wello on the pitch rowsing the players, its as if he was still on there with them. He'd go through a brick wall (and Stan ) for the Saints. Well done Wello and I hope he goes on to futher things from that position.
    I agree entirely , however the very fact that he has to do that shows a lack of leadership elsewhere - not going to mention any names

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Was it Anderson who said Longy and Wello could develop into future coaches whilst ignoring that accolade towards Scully, Cunningham, Pyrce etc. Longy looks as though he will always be a Maverick with Wello a bit more steadfast in his nature, Wello seems to be operating in the right environment now with the GB squad and picking up experience from Bennett.

Cunningham was thrown into the deep end given the job too early and his narrow perspective left him treading water after one season in the job. It may be that Wello will develop beyond Longy's current coaching abilities, if that is the case then we must hope "Mr St Helens" has a coaching future in the game whether that is with Saints or a lesser club we will just have to wait and see, its something we shouldn't dismiss based on the failures of previous past players.
    Good point. This has shades or Cunningham for me in the sense that I really wanted Cunningham to be successful and coach the club for many years because of my respect for him as a player. As a fan I have no idea whether a coach is good or not but only see the end result, by which I mean players playing well and with confidence and winning!

I hope Wellens will be a great coach and eventually lead Saints to a golden era; but what if we make the same mistakes again. I hope Holbrook accepts a contract extension if this new season goes well and we only make internal appointments as an exception...even for marvellous ex players

I would imagine that either or Longy or Wello will be our head coach one day (maybe both). But before that happens, I would hope that we would learn our lessons from KC. I would refuse to give either of them the head coaches job unless they first had a spell as a head coach at first team level elsewhere, such as a Championship or Championship 1 club.

There's no need to rush them into our first team coaches jobs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RV12 View Post
    I would imagine that either or Longy or Wello will be our head coach one day (maybe both). But before that happens, I would hope that we would learn our lessons from KC. I would refuse to give either of them the head coaches job unless they first had a spell as a head coach at first team level elsewhere, such as a Championship or Championship 1 club.

I don't see why we have to give ex players a job when they finish in any capacity,the only person who should be our Head Coach is the best person available at the time for the job,that should be the only criteria,great players very rarely make great coaches.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1964 View Post
    I don't see why we have to give ex players a job when they finish in any capacity,the only person who should be our Head Coach is the best person available at the time for the job,that should be the only criteria,great players very rarely make great coaches.
    I love Paul Wellens but this is the first sense you’ve ever spoke on here, Chris
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post

I'd rather not say how I know, I'm not a player, not a current one anyway. I like being unknown on here.

I know as I've seen and witnessed his coaching and the way he treats players, IMO he is very very good. I have a high regard for him, as do others, as such this has informed my opinion. Of course you may not agree, or may take my comments with a pinch of salt, it's a forum and that's the way it goes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I love Paul Wellens but this is the first sense you’ve ever spoke on here, Chris
    Well that is your opinion,my grammatical use of phrasing is certainly superior to yours,i have had a number of people pm me, stating that there are three people on here (who regularly post),that believe their opinions are the only ones that matter,no surprise you are one of them.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by RV12 View Post

Yes, there's no real reason to fast track them into head coaches, they need to learn regardless of their ability and promise

Got A Season Ticket

Well that is your opinion,my grammatical use of phrasing is certainly superior to yours,i have had a number of people pm me, stating that there are three people on here (who regularly post),that believe their opinions are the only ones that matter,no surprise you are one of them.
    What a completely unnecessary post. No need for personal insults and slurs. Grammatically speaking, there should be a space following a comma and the use of your first comma is incorrect; it should have been a semi-colon. Your overuse of the following, unnecessary commas merely suggests that you know where the comma is on the keyboard, not that you know where to use one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dagzie View Post
    What a completely unnecessary post. No need for personal insults and slurs. Grammatically speaking, there should be a space following a comma and the use of your first comma is incorrect; it should have been a semi-colon. Your overuse of the following, unnecessary commas merely suggests that you know where the comma is on the keyboard, not that you know where to use one.
    But this is ok (but this is the first sense you’ve ever spoke on here, Chris) wasn't that unnecessary?

Learning All The Songs

Good chat from Lolesi, saying more emphasis on ball handling and plays rather than just gym and running up sand hills. Good to hear too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sthelensmedia

Got A Season Ticket

But this is ok (but this is the first sense you’ve ever spoke on here, Chris) wasn't that unnecessary?
    Possibly, but he was actually agreeing with you. Your response was, at best, an over-reaction and at worst, downright rude.

Got A Season Ticket

Also, for what it’s worth I agree with you. Your interaction with fellow members of this forum leaves a lot to be desired but I’m pretty sure they’re all capable of speaking for themselves.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

You’ve made your way into the di**head clique. Well done pal. Those brown noses have saints pyjamas and curtains, begg to be moderators and stalk players. You’ll feel right at home pal .

Let me know if i spelt anything wrong, bud x
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    You’ve made your way into the di**head clique. Well done pal. Those brown noses have saints pyjamas and curtains, begg to be moderators and stalk players. You’ll feel right at home pal .

Let me know if i spelt anything wrong, bud x
    No problem,i will leave it there,i have always tried to be honest in my posts,try and give an ex professional's perceptive of what i know and believe is happening.

I will carry on reading certain posters on here,who i have the utmost respect for,but at my age i don't need the hassle,so will just be an avid reader rather than a poster.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

No problem,i will leave it there,i have always tried to be honest in my posts,try and give an ex professional's perceptive of what i know and believe is happening.

I will carry on reading certain posters on here,who i have the utmost respect for,but at my age i don't need the hassle,so will just be an avid reader rather than a poster.
    Are you an ex-professional???

Should have said something sooner
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS