Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Ben Currie

Default Ben Currie

Rumours don’t seem to be going away on this one... I believe we could well be favourites to sign him.... Is there any truth in the matter ???
    LET THE GAME BEGIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
    Rumours don’t seem to be going away on this one... I believe we could well be favourites to sign him.... Is there any truth in the matter ???
    I've heard absolutely nothing on this apart from 2 or 3 people on this forum mentioning it. Has it been mentioned elsewhere?
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Season Ticket

Can’t see it. Wire would want a fee for him and they’ve just paid 175k for BMM. I would think they would want more for currie. Plus his wage demands would be big.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    I keep seeing this one too but I fear it might be our equivalent of the Walmsley to Castleford story. Looking at our squad and where it is weak if there is one current Super League player we need it's probably him. Which is one of the reasons why it probably won't happen. The other obvious one being that Warrington would be barmy to let him go if he is not off contract.
    I literally haven't seen or heard it anywhere apart from on here. No mention of it on the Warrington forum as far as I can see.

It would be a fantastic signing but is completely unrealistic given he's under contract and Warrington would have to agree to sell him to us. For it to happen we would need surplus cash for a transfer fee AND salary cap space, the player would need to want the move and Warrington would need to be desperate for cap space. I would love to be proved wrong but I just can't see it.

If they hadn't signed Roberts then I could find it more plausible as we could hypothetically thrown Fages or Smith in to the deal, but I can't see them having need for another half-back now.

It would be great, but I'm almost certain that it's nonsense.

One thing is for sure, he wouldn't come cheap, so even if he has fallen out with Warrington and wants to join us, somebody with a sizeable wage would have to be leaving. I suppose you could point to the possibility of Walmsley going to the NRL with immediate effect, but if that happened our top priority would no longer be a second rower - it would be a prop.

In The West Stand

I keep seeing this one too but I fear it might be our equivalent of the Walmsley to Castleford story. Looking at our squad and where it is weak if there is one current Super League player we need it's probably him. Which is one of the reasons why it probably won't happen. The other obvious one being that Warrington would be barmy to let him go if he is not off contract.
    He signed a new deal in 2016 to see him until 2020. The rumours started because he was apparently unhappy with whatever happened with Tony Smith, along with Hill and Westerman - and it was further inflamed when they sold Westerman to Toronto. There are similar rumours about him going to Wigan. I also think some of the journalists tweeting about Saints chances next year also implied a big name was being touted for us - and Currie would fit that bill.

Would love to sign him, but cannot see it happening. I think we wouldn't have resigned Peyroux if there were any truth in it.

Walmsley to Cap started because of Hardaker causing trouble (shocker). Think this one is even more unfounded!

Correct. The only other place I have seen it is on Facebook but many of them still want Adam Quinlan back to save money on Barba.
    Haha I deliberately stay away from the Facebook RL pages as most of them are full of complete and utter buffoons who have never been to a game in their lives.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

There's also a rumour on one of the Wigan boards that he is coming to Wigan. I really don't see it happening particularly in the way he left after he was in the scholarship. None of my usual sources have mentioned it. Why would Wire let him go?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    There's also a rumour on one of the Wigan boards that he is coming to Wigan. I really don't see it happening particularly in the way he left after he was in the scholarship. None of my usual sources have mentioned it. Why would Wire let him go?
    Same here, heard nothing from the people who would normally know these things. I think it's a non starter personally.

Would be a good signing for any club but not sure it's an area of concern for Wigan with a back row of Farrell, Bateman and O'Loughlin plus Gelling and Gildart in the centres and Joel Tomkins backing up.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    He should see how things pan out with his new coach, if he still wants to go for new pastures then he would be a good signing for both clubs to replace O'Loughlin or Wilkin, or maybe if he has a decent world cup then the NRL perhaps.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Does a transfer fee payment count on the salary cap?

Don't see it happening but it would be great if we did make a big-money signing like that. It would be a real statement of intent just like Newlove and Sculthorpe were. Unfortunatley we live in different times and I don't think, even if they were allowed under cap rules, that the board has the funds and/or the inclination to make such a deal.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    Does a transfer fee payment count on the salary cap?
    No, as long as they're not paid to the player. Interestingly, if we structured transfers like Spanish football, I believe with the current wording, it would count, but since we don't, it doesn't

Don't see it happening but it would be great if we did make a big-money signing like that. It would be a real statement of intent just like Newlove and Sculthorpe were. Unfortunatley we live in different times and I don't think, even if they were allowed under cap rules, that the board has the funds and/or the inclination to make such a deal.
    Also no. Your wrong in saying the board doesn't have the inclination to make such a deal. The changed factor is the Warrington board has not inclination to make such a deal. I am sure the clubs that have always done would love to continue hoovering up all the talent and keeping a line between the haves and have nots - but within the current rules its simply not viable. The Salary Cap means its much easier for the Wakefields of this world to keep the Tom Johnstones of this world, simply because the Warringtons of this world can't devote that much more cap space to players than Wakefields can. (Of course the knock on of this is the line is now between SL and the NRL - but thats a different conversation).

It irritates me slightly when people question the board because this type of thing very rarely happens any more.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Also no. Your wrong in saying the board doesn't have the inclination to make such a deal. The changed factor is the Warrington board has not inclination to make such a deal. I am sure the clubs that have always done would love to continue hoovering up all the talent and keeping a line between the haves and have nots - but within the current rules its simply not viable. The Salary Cap means its much easier for the Wakefields of this world to keep the Tom Johnstones of this world, simply because the Warringtons of this world can't devote that much more cap space to players than Wakefields can. (Of course the knock on of this is the line is now between SL and the NRL - but thats a different conversation).

It irritates me slightly when people question the board because this type of thing very rarely happens any more.
    I'd add to that the fact that we have recently signed Ben Barba, which isn't so bad as statements of intent go.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    No, as long as they're not paid to the player. Interestingly, if we structured transfers like Spanish football, I believe with the current wording, it would count, but since we don't, it doesn't

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't having a go at the board and probably worded my post incorrectly. Like I say, we live in different times and these big-money transfer deals don't happen often at any club.

In The West Stand

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't having a go at the board and probably worded my post incorrectly. Like I say, we live in different times and these big-money transfer deals don't happen often at any club.
    I get irritated way too easily anyway!

The problem with any transfer fees these days is there just isn't the return on investment. Thinking about it, despite all his bluff did Koukash ever pay a transfer fee for anyone? No one springs to mind

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I've heard absolutely nothing on this apart from 2 or 3 people on this forum mentioning it. Has it been mentioned elsewhere?
    I think someone might of said that they had 'been for a curry' and as always, things have spun out of control!

Learning All The Songs theres only one stan wall's Avatar

Currie isn’t signing for St.Helens.

10/12/1989 12-12 v Dewsbury (H) Regal Trophy.
    Att:5,847 (Loyal supporter ever since).