Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you.......

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    No. I didn't rate him highly to start with. Playing wing is one of the easiest positions to look good in. If you had put Matty Dawson on the wing for Cas this season he'd have scored 35 tries. Anyone could do what Charnley did.

Other than him being too Wigan for my liking, he also comes across as unprofessional to me. Very much a lad about town who is too easily distracted by the bright lights and fancy cars. I don't think extra training is on his shopping list and I don't think he particularly cares for sporting success either.
    You couldn't be further from the truth. He's a lad who likes working on the farm and fishing. He's better than anything Saints have on the wing, is probably not what you need to spend big money on at the moment. I'm hearing that Wire is his most likely destination.

He averaged around a try a game for Wigan and England, which is a good return in any team.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    You couldn't be further from the truth. He's a lad who likes working on the farm and fishing. He's better than anything Saints have on the wing, is probably not what you need to spend big money on at the moment. I'm hearing that Wire is his most likely destination.
    So is everyone else who reads the papers and forums. Don't be claiming this as some sort of exclusive like you normally do.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

He averaged around a try a game for Wigan and England, which is a good return in any team.
    According to you he’s better than what we have but your opinion is frankly tainted with pie. I wouldn’t take him over Makinson , and tbh dumping Grace for him would be short sighted as Grace has plenty potential.

Banned

Lets me fair he jumped ship for the money (who could blame him)but union even on the wing is a totally different game,you really do have to be World Class to be a top sportsman in both codes,he isn't,he is going to Wire if the rumours are true,another lad who saw the pound signs.

Got A Season Ticket

Best comment I have read all day...Makinson is a far better winger than Charnley hands down.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wakey_saint View Post
    Best comment I have read all day...Makinson is a far better winger than Charnley hands down.
    If he had, had some of the easy run in's that Charnley has had. He would probably be in Aus with England now. Charnley was good for a couple of seasons.

Learning All The Songs

Terrific winger for me. Had a great understanding with Tomkins and shouldered the responsibility of running the ball out because Tomkins usually ducked out. I would say being honest he was a slight cut above our wingers although not much in it. Not our priority especially as we have 3 decent wingers already. I for one will be glad to see him back in the game. For me he should never have gone because he is a out and out R.L. player.

Rather than a measuring contest between Charnley and Makinson ,
    a random thought , they would make a very good wing centre combo.

Makinson is developing into a more rounded player (centre?) and is somewhat wasted
    as it stands.

Morgan might in fact be the answer to the right running second row gap that Saints have had.
    The three of them provide competition and cover for both centre and wing on either side.
    Ashworth provides competition with Morgan for the SR spot.

Charnley would be a mini project in that he would need to improve his fitness.

All theoretical musings. The reality is we are maxed out on the cap with hangers on and bad decisions
    and Charnley will be off to Wire.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post

Makinson is developing into a more rounded player (centre?) and is somewhat wasted
    as it stands.

Morgan might in fact be the answer to the right running second row gap that Saints have had.
    The three of them provide competition and cover for both centre and wing on either side.

All theoretical musings. The reality is we are maxed out on the cap with hangers on and bad decisions
    I cant really recall many players who have returned from RU anything like the player they once were.
    Charnley used to be a good player who lost form. As the player he was before he had his head turned by Sale he'd be on a par with Swift - i.e fighting to get into the starting 17 despite what serial bigot RG has to say.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    I cant really recall many players who have returned from RU anything like the player they once were.
    Barba?

Got A Season Ticket

Burgess......Sonny Bill

From what I remember from the photos he would struggle in a measuring contest!

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post

as it stands.

Makinson will never make a center, he can't pass a ball for one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    From what I remember from the photos he would struggle in a measuring contest!
    I am angry, I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin ...

Can we not get Gagai and Holmes and stick then 2 on either flank?

I don't believe in any of this NRL big-money contract stuff...

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

I'd have Francis Meli back rather than Charnley !

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    Barba?
    We’ll find that out next year.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by zerohero1266 View Post
    I'd have Francis Meli back rather than Charnley !
    I'd have Jack Owens back over Charnley

In The South Stand

Some people are letting the fact he's played for Wigan cloud their view. Charnley was good at Wigan but did have the luck/honour of playing outside some decent centres in his time there, in the same way Solomona and Eden have been successful at Cas playing outside of Shenton and Saints' wingers had playing outside Matt Gidley and Jamie Lyon.

If his defensive game has improved, I'd be half tempted to play him in the centres if I were a head coach in RL.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club