Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lms

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by lee.ashtonsaint View Post
    LMS is obviously not the best player we've ever had, in fact whether you consider him a prop or a second row or even loose forward, we really need someone better there. However, we didn't compete for the signature of the 2 stand out second rows that have been on the market recently (whitehead and mckmeeken) we are now stuck with him until something better comes along. Until then you just want the best he can deliver. We are obviously used to the likes of soliola/gilmour/joint and company and LMS falls short of these players, unfortunately there isnt many of that standard knocking about and when there has been we haven't put our hands in our pockets, hopefully moving forward we will compete in future. Until then LMS should get another year.
    McMeeken was not a stand out when he signed for Castleford.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Forward Bloke View Post
    McMeeken was not a stand out when he signed for Castleford.
    He was better than Vea!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    He was better than Vea!
    That’s not how I remember it. Most felt we’d signed London’s best player from that season. Cas picked up Solomona and McMeekan from that season, they didn’t turn out to badly for them though.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    He was better than Vea!
    I reckon we wouldn't have improved McMeeken the way Cas have done, for me late 2015 to early 2017 was our de-skilling years so that we could play to the "grind game plan". Vea looked promising at first then he got worse and worse, he probably improved very slightly when he went to Leigh.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I reckon we wouldn't have improved McMeeken the way Cas have done, for me late 2015 to early 2017 was our de-skilling years so that we could play to the "grind game plan". Vea looked promising at first then he got worse and worse, he probably improved very slightly when he went to Leigh.
    While I broadly agree about the 'de-skilling' effect of the KC years, I think the reality with Vea was that he had one unusually good season at London - including a standout performance against us - and we signed him off the back of that and got his usual standard. Looking at Leigh's fans comments on him recently I don't think he improved after moving to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    While I broadly agree about the 'de-skilling' effect of the KC years, I think the reality with Vea was that he had one unusually good season at London - including a standout performance against us - and we signed him off the back of that and got his usual standard. Looking at Leigh's fans comments on him recently I don't think he improved after moving to them.
    I think we have on a couple of occasions fallen into that trap when an opposition player seems to play well against us. Travis Burns the recent one and probably others if we go back a bit, Turner is another.

Got A Replica Shirt Southern Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lee.ashtonsaint View Post
    LMS is obviously not the best player we've ever had, in fact whether you consider him a prop or a second row or even loose forward, we really need someone better there. However, we didn't compete for the signature of the 2 stand out second rows that have been on the market recently (whitehead and mckmeeken) we are now stuck with him until something better comes along. Until then you just want the best he can deliver. We are obviously used to the likes of soliola/gilmour/joint and company and LMS falls short of these players, unfortunately there isnt many of that standard knocking about and when there has been we haven't put our hands in our pockets, hopefully moving forward we will compete in future. Until then LMS should get another year.
    I stopped smoking and my brother called me a quitter

Got A Replica Shirt Southern Saint's Avatar

LMS is without a doubt the most passionate and charismatic player in the squad. Always in the mix, doing the hard yards. Thumping his chest and roaring like the lion he is. In my view he is a credit to our club and should be captain.
    I stopped smoking and my brother called me a quitter

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Smiggy View Post
    The coach rates him and thinks he's good enough, so will feature plenty next season
    I think has been pretty good value for Saint's over the years. Has to play up the middle he is exposed a bit out wide..

Got A Season Ticket

He'd be a pretty decent player if he could pass. Unfortunately he can't which means he has to play through the middle where his pace is wasted.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Saint View Post
    LMS is without a doubt the most passionate and charismatic player in the squad. Always in the mix, doing the hard yards. Thumping his chest and roaring like the lion he is. In my view he is a credit to our club and should be captain.

LMS has given good service to our club, he is much better than average and his enthusiasm is second to none but this will never make him a good captain. Cheerleader possibly

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    Neither of these qualities necessarily make him good enough for a Super League club with proper ambitions. And in any case they are nothing but perception. I don't believe he is any more passionate than anyone else. Passion is a euphemism given to players who lack a bit of talent.
    It's funny how no one seems to realise or are upset that his 190m metres the other day would take him 4 games in a Saints jersey.

His average of 68m per game is bordering on pathetic for a big man and some saints fans are easily pleased

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

[QUOTE=ep1987;718771]He'd be a pretty decent player if he could pass. Unfortunately he can't which means he has to play through the middle where his pace is wasted.[/QUOTE

He played out wide for Ireland, though he did give a forward pass with a clear run in, I just wonder whether an International call up has boosted his confidence, he was touted as an International when with London, we shall see in the next few games.

In The South Stand

[QUOTE=Tallaght Tiger;718777]
    Quote Originally Posted by ep1987 View Post
    He'd be a pretty decent player if he could pass. Unfortunately he can't which means he has to play through the middle where his pace is wasted.[/QUOTE

He played out wide for Ireland, though he did give a forward pass with a clear run in, I just wonder whether an International call up has boosted his confidence, he was touted as an International when with London, we shall see in the next few games.
    He should of made 2 trys of his breaks,but just couldn't pass it.

He'd be a pretty decent player if he could pass. Unfortunately he can't which means he has to play through the middle where his pace is wasted.
    To be honest thats not part of his game and thats why he is useless on that right hand edge, he's more for running direct at the opposition getting his arm free and offloading, but under KC the support play to take advantage has not been at the best. Its one of the reasons he doesn't makes an enormous amount of metres, I bet if you look at his stats for the last 5 years or more he will be probably be in the clubs top 3 for offloads every season. There is a good pass in him, he created that long cut out pass to get Percival away for the last second win against Wakey at there place.

I reckon Holbrook has seen the pro's and con's of LMS and got him to play to his strengths and thats probably why we have seen some improvement in his play.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

[QUOTE=Tallaght Tiger;718777]
    He'd be a pretty decent player if he could pass. Unfortunately he can't which means he has to play through the middle where his pace is wasted.[/QUOTE

From the footage I've seen, he looks liked he's trimmed down a bit and looks fitter for it- he showed a good turn of pace for the interception and made good metres overall. The new hair cut will have certainly made him more aerodynamic!

Kyle Amor showed some power too, for his try and he needs to ensure he brings that with him on the plane back to St Helens for next season.

Regards,

STEVO

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    How?
    He had a good year this year and you can't have a team full of world beaters.

LMS has been a good signing for us over the years. Ask any coach who has been at the club or in the game and they'd tell you the same.
    Think you have this about right. You won't get 17 players of Roby's standard in any one squad.....he's not my favourite player but he certainly is good enough to be a squad player and I have changed my opinion of him recently as he improved back end of last season.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I find it difficult to watch him if I'm honest and feel like he should be better than he is. He's a big bloke who has a decent amount of pace but doesn't make the most of it. Every time he has the ball in big games I'm on edge because of the way he carries it. He leads the kick chase and kick pressure which is good but I do feel like he's capable of being more than that. I don't like his off-ball antics either to be honest, I know some people like his enthusiasm but it'd wind me up if I was his team mate tbh.

Sometimes I just wish he'd run hard, often and play-the-ball as quick as he can. Leave the other stuff.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I find it difficult to watch him if I'm honest and feel like he should be better than he is. He's a big bloke who has a decent amount of pace but doesn't make the most of it. Every time he has the ball in big games I'm on edge because of the way he carries it. He leads the kick chase and kick pressure which is good but I do feel like he's capable of being more than that. I don't like his off-ball antics either to be honest, I know some people like his enthusiasm but it'd wind me up if I was his team mate tbh.

Sometimes I just wish he'd run hard, often and play-the-ball as quick as he can. Leave the other stuff.
    I completely agree with you Tez.

Has some commendable attributes but spends his time trying to be
    a Gordon Tallis Jason Hooper wanabee.

He is only still here because he keeps being given extensions so the club need
    to shoulder some blame.

Not big enough or tough enough for a top end prop , his duff left elbow
    means he does not possess the handling skills to be a wide running second row.

Add to that he is a bit of a kn0b which makes him hard to warm to as an individual
    or a Saints player.

Just a flat track bully, who only turns up when contract talks time comes along.

LMS is one of the reasons we have been in the state we have been for the last few years
    St Helens Openwater Swimming Society

Looking out from the top of Table Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    It's funny how no one seems to realise or are upset that his 190m metres the other day would take him 4 games in a Saints jersey.

His average of 68m per game is bordering on pathetic for a big man and some saints fans are easily pleased

Now my name aint Rachel Riley but your bottom of the class for math! four x 68 = 272 now if you try 3 games at 68 = 204 its a lot closer.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKevIro View Post
    Now my name aint Rachel Riley but your bottom of the class for math! four x 68 = 272 now if you try 3 games at 68 = 204 its a lot closer.
    You're top of the class at missing the point though

If it's 3 or 4 games it's still a valid point and accepting below par performances becsuse he blusters about is one of the reasons we've had years of underachieving

Regarding his metres, the fact that he was playing on the left edge meant that he was able to make a couple of clean breaks that he wouldn't be able to make if he was playing in the middle, so I reckon about 80-100 metres will have come from that.

Incidentally, I noticed that when playing on the left he didn't seem at all inclined to cut infield as he always seemed to be when playing on the right for us - he was running good, direct lines and their edge defence struggled to cope with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Regarding his metres, the fact that he was playing on the left edge meant that he was able to make a couple of clean breaks that he wouldn't be able to make if he was playing in the middle, so I reckon about 80-100 metres will have come from that.

Incidentally, I noticed that when playing on the left he didn't seem at all inclined to cut infield as he always seemed to be when playing on the right for us - he was running good, direct lines and their edge defence struggled to cope with it.
    More or less everyone agreed It didn't work for us at all when he was on the left

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    More or less everyone agreed It didn't work for us at all when he was on the left

When did he play on the left for us? Before Taia it was Greenwood, and before Greenwood it was Wilkin.