Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Wigan for sale? Speculation Only!

Default Wigan for sale? Speculation Only!

It is reported that DW is looking to sell his stake in Wigan Athletic. Apparently discussions are taking place. Am I correct in thinking he’s the major shareholder in Wigan Warriors?
    I’d be surprised if joint use of the ground is not contractually ensured but if this is true it must have some impact on Wigan Warriors and, hate to say it, the sport as a whole.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
    It is reported that DW is looking to sell his stake in Wigan Athletic. Apparently discussions are taking place. Am I correct in thinking he’s the major shareholder in Wigan Warriors?
    I’d be surprised if joint use of the ground is not contractually ensured but if this is true it must have some impact on Wigan Warriors and, hate to say it, the sport as a whole.
    I didn't think Whelan had any involvement with the rugby lot any more.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I didn't think Whelan had any involvement with the rugby lot any more.
    That's correct, Ian Lenagan bought all his shares. Interestingly Lenagan has sold Orrell and Wigan are moving all their training, media, scholarship and academy to The Robin Park Arena.

Whelan has been looking to get rid of Latics for a couple of years now, he's not in the best of health.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    That's correct, Ian Lenagan bought all his shares. Interestingly Lenagan has sold Orrell and Wigan are moving all their training, media, scholarship and academy to The Robin Park Arena.

Whelan has been looking to get rid of Latics for a couple of years now, he's not in the best of health.
    So ifhe sells the ground as well, and a new owner of the Latics doesn't want RL on the DW does that mean you will be playing at Robin Park. We could probably rent you a facility.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    So ifhe sells the ground as well, and a new owner of the Latics doesn't want RL on the DW does that mean you will be playing at Robin Park. We could probably rent you a facility.
    No.

In The South Stand

They will end up at Leigh Sports Village, or in London, or Australia - or wherever else they go to when Dave Whelan tells them they can't play at the DW now.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Think they have a 50 year lease that has to be honoured until around 2050 unless Lenegan accepts a cash for lease deal. Clocks ticking, 33 seasons left.

Learning All The Songs

I'm a Latics fan. I've not seen any person who wants a takeover to happen. There's been too many instances in recent years of awful ownership of clubs in football, so having a fan in charge of the club is the best owner we could have. Clubs like Leeds, Portsmouth, Blackburn, Leyton Orient have all suffered at the hands of bad owners. I'd much rather have David Sharpe in charge than a new Chinese owner.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

They're unlikely to attract a Russian Oligarch or Arab Prince so I would think the new owner would be glad of the rent etc from the rugby club.

You never know if Lenaghan has sold the ground at Orrell he maybe able to spare some pocket money to by the football club

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    They're unlikely to attract a Russian Oligarch or Arab Prince so I would think the new owner would be glad of the rent etc from the rugby club.

You never know if Lenaghan has sold the ground at Orrell he maybe able to spare some pocket money to by the football club
    Lenagan enquired about last year. The ground is almost twenty years old now and requires some BIG money spending on it. Sharpe doesn't want it, in his words "Once grandpa has gone I'm out of here!!" Make out of that what you will.
    Lenagans move into Robin Park is a very interesting for Wigan RL.

Whelan built all his businesses on buying low and selling high, interesting to see how this one goes. As I said his health is deteriorating so maybe he just wants rid.

Wigan Football Company Ltd own the ground and that company is majority owned by the Latics and controlled by Dave Whelan. If the Latics are sold the ground will go with it. The goons don’t have to be kicked out to come out of this badly , they just need to get a new landlord who makes life harder for them which is possible.

The rent boys having to go cap in hand to Leigh would be delicious:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Forward Bloke View Post
    I'm a Latics fan. I've not seen any person who wants a takeover to happen. There's been too many instances in recent years of awful ownership of clubs in football, so having a fan in charge of the club is the best owner we could have. Clubs like Leeds, Portsmouth, Blackburn, Leyton Orient have all suffered at the hands of bad owners. I'd much rather have David Sharpe in charge than a new Chinese owner.
    Seconded this. Its all speculation anyway. I doubt very much it will actually happen.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Lenagan enquired about last year. The ground is almost twenty years old now and requires some BIG money spending on it. Sharpe doesn't want it, in his words "Once grandpa has gone I'm out of here!!" Make out of that what you will.

Whelan built all his businesses on buying low and selling high, interesting to see how this one goes. As I said his health is deteriorating so maybe he just wants rid.
    The fastest 20 years I remember. Surprised me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by N0.1 Saint View Post
    Wigan Football Company Ltd own the ground and that company is majority owned by the Latics and controlled by Dave Whelan. If the Latics are sold the ground will go with it. The goons don’t have to be kicked out to come out of this badly , they just need to get a new landlord who makes life harder for them which is possible.
    Maybe the new landlord would let them have hot showers on non-match days and turn the central heating on. Wheeliebin allegedly made Scrooge seem generous.

Learning All The Songs

If what you're saying is true, then it really is concerning for us.

Have you got any proof of him saying what you've claimed, as I really wouldn't want him to sell up. He could keep the club, just allow Jonathan Jackson to do everything with the running of the club.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Forward Bloke View Post
    If what you're saying is true, then it really is concerning for us.

Have you got any proof of him saying what you've claimed, as I really wouldn't want him to sell up. He could keep the club, just allow Jonathan Jackson to do everything with the running of the club.
    I can only tell you what I was told, and obviously can't reveal the source. However this person was in quite a high position at Wigan and I have no reason to disbelieve them.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    They will end up at Leigh Sports Village, or in London, or Australia - or wherever else they go to when Dave Whelan tells them they can't play at the DW now.
    Could always ground share with New York.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Could always ground share with New York.
    America seems to be the hot place for RL just now. The Pittsburgh Pies?

New challenge for the good doc ?