Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ny ny

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    I don't believe it will happen I'm just expressing my concerns about it for the sake of the debate. Expanding the league seems a reasonable solution on the face of it but there isn't the depth of quality. Three years ago we reduced our league from 14 teams to 12 for that very reason. Two of the teams in that final season of 14 teams were whipping boys. If there is one thing that rugby league has become terrified of in recent years it is one-sided games and leagues that feature teams out of their depth. In union, if the All Blacks beat someone by 90 points nobody blinks and the narrative that union is a global games continues. If that happens in league it is because it is a tin-pot sport that is only played in one street in Yorkshire. I exaggerate but this is the kind of media narrative we are up against, so for me to expand the league would be a huge risk.

Chris' idea of two leagues of 10 isn't bad though my reservation would be that that only generates 18 games in a regular home and away system so there would have to be a fair amount of padding out of the fixtures, and when that happens familiarity can breed contempt.
    I actually think that is the Rugby League media and ourselves that do that,we are very good at beating ourselves up,the eighteen games would only be up until the Play Off's,you could then easily have a new cup competition played between the two divisions to create more games.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

If the game gets established in canada and the states we could have the first global superleague in ten years or so.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    I don't believe it will happen I'm just expressing my concerns about it for the sake of the debate. Expanding the league seems a reasonable solution on the face of it but there isn't the depth of quality. Three years ago we reduced our league from 14 teams to 12 for that very reason. Two of the teams in that final season of 14 teams were whipping boys. If there is one thing that rugby league has become terrified of in recent years it is one-sided games and leagues that feature teams out of their depth. In union, if the All Blacks beat someone by 90 points nobody blinks and the narrative that union is a global games continues. If that happens in league it is because it is a tin-pot sport that is only played in one street in Yorkshire. I exaggerate but this is the kind of media narrative we are up against, so for me to expand the league would be a huge risk.

Chris' idea of two leagues of 10 isn't bad though my reservation would be that that only generates 18 games in a regular home and away system so there would have to be a fair amount of padding out of the fixtures, and when that happens familiarity can breed contempt.
    Ah I have got you.

I assume Chris’ idea would involve playing teams in their own league home and away (18 games) and once against teams in the other league once (10 games). So, 28 games, but only 5 long distance games. But surely in a world where we had 10 North American clubs we would be near 12 or 14 and a separate league.

I think you have a fair concern regarding player quality, however I think the problem last time we were at 14 teams was mainly financial. For the first 15 years we had a real issue with money. Halifax for me were the line between the pro and semi pro teams in my eyes. Spent half the cap and typically finished 9th. I think in 2018 we could have a 14-team league with Leigh and Toronto added and the quality would still be as good.

You would hope long term that they could find athletes in North American that could increase the player pool. The USA RU sevens team has some good local talent with a hand full of American Samoans and that is 3 years into them taking it seriously.

Anyway, we are not even on two teams yet so it is all pie in the sky. Should be interesting to see how it goes.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The South Stand