Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: 19 man squad v Wakefield - Amor dropped

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    Your personal problem with Longy is pathetic. Grow up. We get if you don't like him. Build a bridge, get over it
    I have no problem with Long except for him and Cunningham should have taken collective responsibility simple as that the players brought in especially Smith were on the back of Cunningham and Long's recommendation,i just feel it's wrong only one person lost their job,don't be a tool like the other one and start insulting people,because you don't like their views..

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1964 View Post
    I have no problem with Long except for him and Cunningham should have taken collective responsibility simple as that the players brought in especially Smith were on the back of Cunningham and Long's recommendation,i just feel it's wrong only one person lost their job,don't be a tool like the other one and start insulting people,because you don't like their views..
    Oh the irony. Telling someone not to insult someone, whilst calling someone else a tool. Not having a good night here are you?
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulx2 View Post
    Yes you are right, you do have to be better than 8 other teams and Cas have been but that doesn't mean they will be Champs. That was my point.......if you have generally been poor over the whole season and can still win it then that shows the poor quality of the comp as a whole. Leeds, Wigan, Saints and Hull have been bang average but they are in the hunt and that is wrong IMO.
    I also doubt that this season will have attracted any neutral fans due to the closeness of the games as you think.

It's quality that people are attracted to and Superleague certainly isn't that and I believe viewing figures are down as a whole. I also think future TV deals will be worth less and that's all due to declining standards.

If we win it great, really great but I think CAS are the team that deserve it really.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    But we have a playoff system and have done for years. Unless you roll all the way back to 1995, every year since it was always possible that the league leaders would not win the competition. Same as in many other sports. It may not be ideal but this system is a massive improvement on the top 8 playoffs and I think the middle 8s work really well.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Keyboard Warriors are so brave.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/41258699
    That's pretty bad. There's no need for that. The only plus side is the morons doing it will have forgotten by next week

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    That's pretty bad. There's no need for that. The only plus side is the morons doing it will have forgotten by next week

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Yeah, disgraceful stuff. It's one thing having a pop if a player is not putting in any effort, but personal attacks? Grix always seems to give 100% to me and at the end of the day, he made a mistake. Yes, he should have grounded the ball, but if his kick had not missed, then the ball would have gone dead as he intended. Feel for the guy, fans like those dishing out abuse make me sick. Real tough guys behind a keyboard.

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    But we have a playoff system and have done for years. Unless you roll all the way back to 1995, every year since it was always possible that the league leaders would not win the competition. Same as in many other sports. It may not be ideal but this system is a massive improvement on the top 8 playoffs and I think the middle 8s work really well.
    The middle eights is very good and I have no complaints with it but I would say it also proves my point that the whole of RL is suffering from a total collapse in playing standards.
    Warrington for example were in the GF last season and are now struggling to beat part time teams. Catalan are a total joke and Widnes and Leigh are a set of journeyman teams.
    In essence the system worked previously because even when Leeds won from 6th it was still possible to buy into the concept because they were a quality team beating other quality teams to get to win the trophy.
    Can anyone honestly say that if Wigan or even Leeds win the GF that they have deserved it over the season? The standard has fallen so low I think that going back to a first past the post system may be the only way to bring credibility back to the competition.

The middle eights is very good and I have no complaints with it but I would say it also proves my point that the whole of RL is suffering from a total collapse in playing standards.
    Warrington for example were in the GF last season and are now struggling to beat part time teams. Catalan are a total joke and Widnes and Leigh are a set of journeyman teams.
    In essence the system worked previously because even when Leeds won from 6th it was still possible to buy into the concept because they were a quality team beating other quality teams to get to win the trophy.
    Can anyone honestly say that if Wigan or even Leeds win the GF that they have deserved it over the season? The standard has fallen so low I think that going back to a first past the post system may be the only way to bring credibility back to the competition.

I'm not sure I buy that, and it doesn't seem to reflect my memory of how people generally felt about it at the time. Regardless of the overall standard of the league, the title was still won by a team that was inferior to five other teams over the course of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I'm not sure I buy that, and it doesn't seem to reflect my memory of how people generally felt about it at the time. Regardless of the overall standard of the league, the title was still won by a team that was inferior to five other teams over the course of the season.
    I take your point but and I agree it was a bit galling to lose to a team finishing 5th or 6th but I just feel that in those days the standard was much higher. With Leeds then it almost felt like they finished that low down deliberately!! Just to p*** everyone off.
    This Leeds team have finished second and yet have lost to Cas four times this season so far and yet are comfortably in second and can still win it.
    There are no stand out teams other than Cas and that's what makes the play off system dead in my eyes because the stuff everyone is churning out just doesn't cut it for champions of any sport. That's why crowds and viewing figures will continue to decline.
    The play offs work in Oz because the standard is so high but over here it's getting tedious.

I take your point but and I agree it was a bit galling to lose to a team finishing 5th or 6th but I just feel that in those days the standard was much higher. With Leeds then it almost felt like they finished that low down deliberately!! Just to p*** everyone off.
    This Leeds team have finished second and yet have lost to Cas four times this season so far and yet are comfortably in second and can still win it.
    There are no stand out teams other than Cas and that's what makes the play off system dead in my eyes because the stuff everyone is churning out just doesn't cut it for champions of any sport. That's why crowds and viewing figures will continue to decline.
    The play offs work in Oz because the standard is so high but over here it's getting tedious.

So what you're really saying is that it's the quality of rugby league over here that is tedious rather than the play-off system. Taking your supposition that there are no stand out teams other than Cas, a system based purely on the results of home and away games between every club would have resulted in Cas being runaway Champions. Surely that would be even more tedious than a play-off system that provides a chance of some other club finishing as victors?

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    So what you're really saying is that it's the quality of rugby league over here that is tedious rather than the play-off system. Taking your supposition that there are no stand out teams other than Cas, a system based purely on the results of home and away games between every club would have resulted in Cas being runaway Champions. Surely that would be even more tedious than a play-off system that provides a chance of some other club finishing as victors?
    Yes, I suppose that is what I am saying......and you are right it would have probably been tedious too. I don't know what the answer is then but at least if the league leaders automatically got to the GF it would possibly allow me to feel that the best team was being properly rewarded for being the best team.
    I have always loved the play offs but this season has made me disillusioned but you are right I am probably just frustrated by how far behind SL is to NRL and that gap is only likely to increase with fewer and fewer people playing the game.

Starting A Programme Collection

Yes, I suppose that is what I am saying......and you are right it would have probably been tedious too. I don't know what the answer is then but at least if the league leaders automatically got to the GF it would possibly allow me to feel that the best team was being properly rewarded for being the best team.
    I have always loved the play offs but this season has made me disillusioned but you are right I am probably just frustrated by how far behind SL is to NRL and that gap is only likely to increase with fewer and fewer people playing the game.

Not an easy one to solve. The quality of our game needs to improve drastically. I don't think the system is helping that - just evening out the competition, and maybe that's dissipating the quality and spreading it too thin. The result seems an overall reduction in quality and standards at the top of our game.

I wonder if having equal reward (prestige and financial) for league leaders and play off champions might help? Financially - it would be easy to do - but prestige-wise it would be harder to sell. I'm not even sure it would help improve standards - but something needs to be done and stuck with. We need a simpler formula for success and in this day and age of needing a quick fix solution I think we are going to struggle when i believe the real wins towards creating long term sustainability probably lies more at the grass roots level and building from that. Realistically i think a top down and bottom up approach is the way to go.