Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v Wakefield - Amor dropped

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default 19 man squad v Wakefield - Amor dropped

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2017/09/0...announced-107/

Danny Richardson has been recalled to Saints' 19 man squad for Thursday’s crunch Betfred Super League Super 8s Round Five game against Wakefield Trinity.

The half back comes into the 19 in place of Kyle Amor.

Justin Holbrook will choose his 17 from:

1. Jonny Lomax, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Ryan Morgan, 4. Mark Percival, 6. Theo Fages, 7. Matty Smith, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 12. Jon Wilkin, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 14. Luke Douglas, 16. Luke Thompson, 18. Dominique Peyroux, 20. Morgan Knowles, 24. Danny Richardson, 28. Regan Grace, 32. Matty Lees, 36. Zeb Taia, 37. Ben Barba.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Season Ticket

Interesting.... back on the bench seems a certainty then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

So it looks like either we are going 1 forward less or Lees is getting a debut in a straight swap for Amor.

There are lots of different combinations we could go with so guessing the 17 will be tough. Realistically any 2 from Smith, Fages, Richardson, Lees, Peyroux, Knowles could all miss out. Hopefully Smith will be one of them and then the other is anyone's guess at this stage.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Amor deservedly dropped IMO. Lets just hope he follows trend with Smith

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Is he dropped or injured?
    Big decision to drop him against a strong Wakefield pack.

Learning All The Songs

The bottom line is we should be giving these young players a chance. Lees will do ok if he plays. For me Fages should come in as we lack midfield pace. Certainly the tackling need to be more intense than the first 20 minutes against Wigan. Two men in the tackle is not good enough.

Got A Season Ticket

I am hoping for:

Barba
    Makinson
    Morgan
    Percival
    Grace
    Lomax
    Richardson
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Douglas
    Taia
    Wilkin
    Knowles

Thompson
    LMS or Lees
    Payroux
    Fage

Smith and LMS or Lees to miss out

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st.david View Post
    I am hoping for:

Barba
    Makinson
    Morgan
    Percival
    Grace
    Lomax
    Richardson
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Douglas
    Taia
    Wilkin
    Knowles

Thompson
    LMS or Lees
    Payroux
    Fage

Smith and LMS or Lees to miss out
    Looks about right, don't know if it'll be Fages or Smith to drop out

Unfortunately with Smith in the squad I think he will feature, which means Fages or Richardson will miss out. But as said above its really difficult to be sure which two will sit this one out. 7pm Thurday will reveal all.
    Will be interesting how the dinner at LP with JH and Ben Barba will go tonight? Wonder if JH will get some uncomfortable questions?
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

We need to do some serious recruitment over the next couple of years, that much is obvious.

Lomax
    Makinson
    Morgan
    Percival
    Grace
    Barba
    Richardson/Smith
    Douglas
    Roby
    Walmsley
    Taia
    Peyroux
    Wilkin

Fages
    Thompson
    LMS
    Lees
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

I would go
    1 .barba

2 makinson
    3 morgan
    4 percival
    5 grace

6 fages
    7 richardson

8 douglas
    9 roby
    10 thompson
    11peyroux
    12tiaia
    13wilkin

14walmsley
    15lms
    16knowles
    17lomax
    A bit light in the forwards but there's not many options

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

[QUOTE=Tez the Saint;710497]We need to do some serious recruitment over the next couple of years, that much is obvious.

I agree 100% and that is why my worry is that we have been a bit gung-ho with the Barba signing when a more measured approach was/is required..........that said if there is still a large pot of cash available to strengthen post season the BB may be a luxury we can afford. My concern is that by continuing to pick Matty Smith it suggests there isn't a great deal of cash because if there was surely the club would be subsidising his transfer to another club rather than continuing to pick him ahead of younger and better players.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

For me its a no brainer and Fages has got to be one of our half backs and Holbrook who is supposed to be an attacking coach has got to stop messing about.

Attacking half back:

Smith: Tries 2 ..... Try Assists 13.....Clean Breaks 1..... Tackle Busts 6........Offloads 1........Defence 251 tackles

Fages: Tries 7 ...... Try Assists 9.......Clean Breaks 19....Tackle Busts 44 .....Offloads 14......Defence 537 tackles

Richardson/Smith/Lomax to miss out in that order.

Learning All The Songs

Yes need to recruit

Barba
    Makinson
    Morgan
    Percival
    Grace

Lomax
    Richardson

Lees
    Roby
    Walmesley
    Taia
    Thompson
    Fages

Douglas
    Peyroux
    Knowles
    LMS

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Prior to last week JH had decided that Barba/Lomax/Smith was his attacking triangle.
    Last week was it's first run out so I think he may start with it again but have Fages or Richardson on the bench if it isn't working out

[QUOTE=paulx2;710500]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    We need to do some serious recruitment over the next couple of years, that much is obvious.

I agree 100% and that is why my worry is that we have been a bit gung-ho with the Barba signing when a more measured approach was/is required..........that said if there is still a large pot of cash available to strengthen post season the BB may be a luxury we can afford. My concern is that by continuing to pick Matty Smith it suggests there isn't a great deal of cash because if there was surely the club would be subsidising his transfer to another club rather than continuing to pick him ahead of younger and better players.
    Disagree. When a player of that ability is available, you sign him. Simple as. It shows the ambition of the club moving forward and gives us a lot of press. Moreover, hopefully when he returns home, he speaks about us fondly as a club so that we are in a position to attract other players. It's a marquee signing and a genuine world class player (when match fit) in not just our team but SL as a whole. If Warrington had signed him, we would be criticising the club for not showing ambition.

Noooobie

I think JH will go with:

Barba
    Makinson
    Morgan
    Percival
    Grace
    Lomax
    Smith
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Douglas
    Taia
    Wilkin
    Knowles

Thompson
    LMS
    Peyroux
    Fages

Please not Lomax and Smith again. And you've dropped Richardson!

1. Barba
    2. Makinson
    3. Morgan
    4. Percival
    5. Grace
    6. Fages
    7. Richardson
    8. Douglas
    9. Roby
    10. Thompson
    11. Taia
    12. Peyroux
    13. Knowles

14. Lomax
    15. LMS
    16. Walmsley
    17. Lees

That would be my selection, but I'm sure that Wilkin will be in there, probably at the expense of Peyroux, and I suspect that Lomax will start at 6 with Fages on the bench, which I'm okay with.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

1. Lomax
    2. Makinson
    3. Morgan
    4. Percival
    5. Grace

6. Fages
    7. Richardson

8. Walmsley
    9. Roby
    10. LMS
    11 Peyroux
    12 Taia
    13 Knowles

14. Douglas
    15, Thompson
    16. Lees
    17. Barba

My two penneth:- Wilkin....Smith....Amor have not earned the shirt at the moment. Barba to replace Lomax in the second quarter and Lomax to rest Roby either side of half time.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    Got to agree. It would have been silly not to take the opportunity. It's great to have world class players associated with your club. Either it will work out and we will one day speak about him as we do Jamie Lyon and Mal Meninga, or he'll be rubbish and we will look back and laugh like we do with Josh Perry and Michael O'Connor. But you have to try.

However, I do take the point that it would not be a great recruitment strategy to have spent all the money on one player, however good he is because this team does need a bit of surgery. The lack of any further announcements on signings is a concern in September but I just don't believe that the club aren't going to make any moves because of the money they have spent on Barba. I can't believe they would go all eggs in one basket like that.
    realistically, unless we can offload the rest of the deadwood we are not going to be able to sign any one else, regardless of the Barba signing. Smith, Wilkin, LMS, Amor, Douglas, Morgan, Swift and Lee can sit around for another year (or more) and we have to fit them under the salary cap. Barba is a marquee signing, and obviously his salary cap contribution is a lot less than the others, so he doesn't really affect the ability to sign other players.

We have to find a way to offload 3 or 4 of that group, or more ideally, before we will have the capacity to sign replacements.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

My 17

37. Ben Barba
    2. Tommy Makinson,
    3. Ryan Morgan,
    4. Mark Percival,
    28. Regan Grace,
    6. Theo Fages,
    24. Danny Richardson,
    8. Alex Walmsley,
    9. James Roby,
    16. Luke Thompson,
    18. Dominique Peyroux,
    36. Zeb Taia,
    20. Morgan Knowles,

1. Jonny Lomax, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 14. Luke Douglas, 12. Jon Wilkin,

I would drop Wilkin but given the choices I think he could come on when other forwards are tiring and have more of an impact than he can from the start when he is not big enough to make an impact. He can tackle and he used to be able to run good lines. Going forward towards retirement I would rotate him in and out of the side. There is no reason why we cannot spell second rowers.

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

[QUOTE=Stephen07;710507]
    Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

Got to agree. It would have been silly not to take the opportunity. It's great to have world class players associated with your club. Either it will work out and we will one day speak about him as we do Jamie Lyon and Mal Meninga, or he'll be rubbish and we will look back and laugh like we do with Josh Perry and Michael O'Connor. But you have to try.

However, I do take the point that it would not be a great recruitment strategy to have spent all the money on one player, however good he is because this team does need a bit of surgery. The lack of any further announcements on signings is a concern in September but I just don't believe that the club aren't going to make any moves because of the money they have spent on Barba. I can't believe they would go all eggs in one basket like that.
    Not saying you're wrong Stephen and I hope you are right in terms of money being available because I think the team needs more than just a bit of surgery............I would suggest a full lobotomy is required.

This squad has seen off a fair few coaching set ups...........KC, Long & Lolesi, Traynor & Long + Lolesi and now we are onto JH which makes me think there are a few players who are either not up to the task or are even now still on the gravy train and not up for anything.

I also question whether it would now be a good idea to sign Zak Hardaker if he became available? The point being that just because a world class player becomes available doesn't mean you need to sign him, especially if you are lacking in other key areas. Don't get me wrong, I am not bagging off BB. I, like you, think he is a mercurial player, I just question the logic behind it when it seems to have resulted in the craziest square pegs in round holes player-go-round since Wilkin became Jonathan Thurston...........it seems more disruptive than anything in terms of too much class in one area and not enough in other areas.

I just hope that BB is the first part of the jigsaw rather than the final piece, that's all.

I see Amor has taken being dropped in a professional manner. Has time to post another stupid Instagram video.

If I was him I would be looking at improving my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=Stephen07;710525]
    Quote Originally Posted by paulx2 View Post

I was being polite with the term surgery. There's half a dozen at least that I'd love to see the back of. I don't think the squad saw off the Traynor, Long, Lolesi coaching arrangement. It was only ever meant to be temporary until a full time replacement for KC was appointed.

I agree with you on Hardaker but I'm not sure where that idea comes from anyway. It would be a very strange move to sign Barba, one of the best fullbacks in the world, and then go and get Hardaker, one of the best fullbacks in the world. Unless you see Barba in the halves but the NRL watchers on here are adamant that he wouldn't be any good there.

Wherever you play Barba I don't see that he does the team any harm so long as he produces what we know he is capable of. There's no telling from one game whether he will be able to do that or not. But you have to give him the chance and that means sticking with him. It is the job of Mr Holbrook to work out who else is best placed to serve the needs of the team in the other positions. A lot of people, me included, thought he got it wrong last week leaving Fages out but others have made the argument that Fages drifts in and out of games and can be a bit underwhelming himself. And that is a reasonable argument. Whoever we play in the halves will have flaws and they won't get the help they need until we do something about our pack.
    To be successful, you need a strong pack and a settled half-back pairing. Of which (at the moment), we have neither