Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great resolve and result! COYS!

I felt we showed real complacency today. Seemed like we thought all we had to do was to turn up. Our defence was shocking for the two kicks and Wilkin needs to hang his head in shame for his effort for Walsh's try. It was almost the opposite of what we have done all season. Today was better in attack but poor defence.

We dropped markedly when Roby and Walmsley were off and notably picked up when they came back on. Lee is awful, an absolute bog standard player. I also thought Percival was awful defensively too, spent most of the game grabbing shirts and being thrown off. Added to the fact he refuses to pass to Grace on occasions and it was a frustrating afternoon for him. He did kick well though as I mentioned earlier.

I think games like today suffer with the poor atmosphere too. When there are no away fans it is hard for the fans to respond. Only on a couple of occasions today did the crowd lift.

Overall it was a hard earned two points. You can see the glimpses of improvement in attack but that score line flattered us today. We let Walsh run the show particularly in the first half. They made far too many offloads and split us at ease on numerous occasions.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SodIt the Hedgehog View Post
    It got 'fashionable' after a bit though. He got crucified by a load of fans near us when he (rightly) didn't pass to Grace at one point in the second half, except not one of the fans seemed to have spotted about three Catalans defenders ready to shove Grace's head through the seats in the North Stand. Percy had spotted them, so didn't make the pass and got hammered for it.

It was in the first half when he had me tearing [what's left of] my hair out. One time he made a half break, Tierney came inside to help tackle him, and Percy should have given it wide to Grace who had space in front of him. Instead he took the tackle.

But the glaring 'aaaarrrrggggghhhh' moment was when Percy brilliantly made a full break (Fages passed left with pace, Percy used the pace of the ball to allow him to round Tierney on the outside, who was left clutching thin air). As Percy races downfield, Grace is about 6 foot to his left with absolutely nothing in front of him, the FB being drawn into Percival. All the time, Percival ignores Grace and is looking inside over and over. Lomax is haring up on the inside, but pass it to Grace and it's a try all day long. Percival is so fixated with looking on his inside for support that he stutters, allowing the chasing back defender to tackle him (or was that the ankle-tap following which Percy drops the ball? I forget, I had my head in my hands).

When Percy did finally pass to Grace in the second half (when he got the ironic cheers), it was about on the halfway line, with the Catalans defence set in front of him.

I don't know what goes through Percival's head at times. He's a brilliant talent, fantastic with the ball in his hands, but in terms of overall centre play, he is poor when it comes to judging when to pass to his winger.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    IThey made far too many offloads and split us at ease on numerous occasions.

I'd love to see the offload stats for Sam Moa, who seemed in the first half to get the offload every carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    I felt we showed real complacency today. Seemed like we thought all we had to do was to turn up. Our defence was shocking for the two kicks and Wilkin needs to hang his head in shame for his effort for Walsh's try. It was almost the opposite of what we have done all season. Today was better in attack but poor defence.

We dropped markedly when Roby and Walmsley were off and notably picked up when they came back on. Lee is awful, an absolute bog standard player. I also thought Percival was awful defensively too, spent most of the game grabbing shirts and being thrown off. Added to the fact he refuses to pass to Grace on occasions and it was a frustrating afternoon for him. He did kick well though as I mentioned earlier.

I think games like today suffer with the poor atmosphere too. When there are no away fans it is hard for the fans to respond. Only on a couple of occasions today did the crowd lift.

Overall it was a hard earned two points. You can see the glimpses of improvement in attack but that score line flattered us today. We let Walsh run the show particularly in the first half. They made far too many offloads and split us at ease on numerous occasions.
    My first reaction was that our defensive efforts were real mixed bag but on reflection I suspect this stemmed mainly from the number of offloads that we allowed. Apart from any forward impetus that such offloads provided, however, I don't agree that they breached our defence on many occasions and our collective ability to scramble shut down most of their attacks. Although the Dragons scored five tries you could not really highlight any defensive weaknesses with regards to the Myler score while, from where I sit, Horo was in front of Walsh when the ball was kicked for the first try. Horo's second try came from a good offload by Inu rather than weak defence while Gigot timed his run perfectly on to an excellent grubber from Walsh. It was only Walsh, therefore, who scored as a consequence of poor defence from Lomax and Wilkin.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

As infuriating the lack of ball to grace was infuriating at times, the ankle tap by Tierney was excellent. I don't believe for a second Percy was being greedy on that one, Gigot wasn't quite drawn in, then Tierney tackled him from nowhere

If you watch the highlights about 1:20, Gigot isn't even in the frame

Got A Replica Shirt saint at wire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Another tough game to judge really. We played well in patches, particularly second half but a couple of brilliant individual plays by Roby, Lomax and Morgan took took the score out to what it was. We seemed to make quite a few half breaks but were lacking in a bit of composure again.

Main worry from that is defence and it's been the same for the last five years or so, we struggle to deal with offloads and second phase play because the contact isn't good enough. Some of the tries conceded were really, really soft. Luke Walsh one of the best halves in the league when it comes to the technical side of it, if you stand off him and give him time he'll punish you. Going to have to be a lot better than that moving on to the 8's.

Thought Roby and Walmsley were outstanding.
    This Walsh fellow sounds good; we should sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by saint at wire View Post
    This Walsh fellow sounds good; we should sign him.
    I heard he was quite good
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Yep Spain for me over the semi weekend

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    "What the mind believes, the body achieves."
    Steve Prescott MBE
    26 December 1973 - 9th November 2013

Join me in my rolling fundraising year for Steve and Alder Hey
    https://www.justgiving.com/companyteams/divasdeeds2017

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I notice on that video that this week Percy slammed the ball into the ground in celebration of his try - and managed to hit the in-goal touch judge! Hopefully not another week's rest.
    I am angry, I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin ...

That game was Saints season. At times not bothered. At times bothered. At times can't defend. At times defended well. At times attacked really well. At times panicked in attack.
    I am concerned how JH has not got Percy to acknowledge he has a winger. If he cuts in much more we will have to name him Dawson. I think Grace needs to start having a conversation with him because it's now beyond funny. We have the fastest winger in the league and he gets a wing ball once or twice a game. I blame Percy to a degree, but I blame JH more.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Good result against a determined Cats side. I thought Walsh was going to do us big style. Silly mistakes coming in, such as at the play the ball. But some of the effort and the style of play is looking really promising.
    Forwards will need to be on top of their game at Wakey, but things are looking good, eventually. Holbrook should be commended on how he has brought the team playing with the old flare that we associate with Saints.

Anyone know what the penalty count was?

Starting A Programme Collection SodIt the Hedgehog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    I heard he (Walsh) was quite good
    It'd be interesting to see how good he'd be if any of our lot had actually tried tackling their old mate. Looked like he'd taken 17 restraining orders out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    Anyone know what the penalty count was?
    12-4 in Saints' favour, and 2 of the 4 were because Thaler suddenly decided to penalise Walmsley and LMS for stepping forward at the play-the-ball rather than do anything about the Catalan players refusing to let go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    12-4 in Saints' favour, and 2 of the 4 were because Thaler suddenly decided to penalise Walmsley and LMS for stepping forward at the play-the-ball rather than do anything about the Catalan players refusing to let go.
    Thanks for that.

Improving discipline is something that will keep McBananna busy at Catalan.