Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v Catalans

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default 19 man squad v Catalans

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2017/07/1...announced-105/

Saints have announced their 19 man squad for Sunday’s Betfred Super League game with Catalans Dragons.

Jon Wilkin returns from suspension with Adam Swift left out.

Justin Holbrook will choose his 17 from:

1. Jonny Lomax, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Ryan Morgan, 4. Mark Percival, 6. Theo Fages, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Kyle Amor, 12. Jon Wilkin, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 14. Luke Douglas, 16. Luke Thompson, 17. Tommy Lee, 18. Dominique Peyroux, 20. Morgan Knowles, 24. Danny Richardson, 28. Regan Grace, 32. Matty Lees, 36. Zeb Taia.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Wilkin for Lee the only change I imagine.

In The West Stand

Hard to believe not so long ago there were rumours Swift was talking to NRL clubs ...

Lomax
    Makinson Morgan Percival Grace
    Fages Richardson
    Thompson Roby Walmsley
    Taia Peyroux
    Wilkin

Knowles LMS Douglas Amor

Lee and Lees to miss out. Still think we would be better off with Wilkin out, but that aint going to happen

One thing I like about JH is that clearly he is prepared to drop players for below par performance.

KC picked players week in week out no matter how poorly they were playing. Peyroux is a case in point did absolutely nothing to show he was worth a shirt under the previous management. He gets dropped and rightly so and when he gets a second chance he has put in two very worthy performances.

I am a fan of Swift. However, his game can be error strewn and sometimes it looks like lack of concentration. Hopefully he will tidy this up and take his chance again when it comes along.

Have to say I am disappointed with the promotion of this game. As far as I am aware, this is the only home Sunday game all year unless I have missed one somewhere? Catalan will bring no fans and yet there has been nothing planned. No incentives like other clubs do to make it a family game. No food vouchers, free programmes etc. Why not offer "bring a child free" option if bringing one child already for example? This should have been bouncy castles, face painting, the full works.

The weather forecast is dry too. I just don't feel we have done anything noteworthy to increase the crowd. I have been making use of the family tickets the past few home games. £55 for a family of four is superb value but unless you buy them you probably wouldn't know the price? I don't see their value mentioned anywhere in an advertising sense.

I applaud the club for a hell of a lot of off the field activities, social media use being one example, the signing of Barba another but we do miss some golden opportunities.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I am a fan of Swift. However, his game can be error strewn and sometimes it looks like lack of concentration. Hopefully he will tidy this up and take his chance again when it comes along.
    Swift has the potential to be a very good player but you can pretty much guarantee he'll come up with an absolute howler in every game

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Have to say I am disappointed with the promotion of this game. As far as I am aware, this is the only home Sunday game all year unless I have missed one somewhere? Catalan will bring no fans and yet there has been nothing planned. No incentives like other clubs do to make it a family game. No food vouchers, free programmes etc. Why not offer "bring a child free" option if bringing one child already for example? This should have been bouncy castles, face painting, the full works.

The weather forecast is dry too. I just don't feel we have done anything noteworthy to increase the crowd. I have been making use of the family tickets the past few home games. £55 for a family of four is superb value but unless you buy them you probably wouldn't know the price? I don't see their value mentioned anywhere in an advertising sense.

I applaud the club for a hell of a lot of off the field activities, social media use being one example, the signing of Barba another but we do miss some golden opportunities.
    I was having this conversation yesterday.they do little to attract the next generation of fans.im not a marketing genius but surely between them,they could up with some sort of promotion.
    On a side nite a mate of mine was offered the sales and marketing job when the stadium first opened. He knock it back because he's a wigan fan.one thing i do know.he would of done a fantastic job.

Quote Originally Posted by djdegsy View Post
    I was having this conversation yesterday.they do little to attract the next generation of fans.im not a marketing genius but surely between them,they could up with some sort of promotion.
    On a side nite a mate of mine was offered the sales and marketing job when the stadium first opened. He knock it back because he's a wigan fan.one thing i do know.he would of done a fantastic job.
    I often get accused of being a Wigan fan because I praise some of their off the field activities. However look at the family days they do. They offer a family of four ticket for £60 (more expensive than ours) however within that they have a £10 food voucher, free parking and a free match programme. Now say you never eat food normally at the ground but make use of the voucher. You may decide you enjoy the food on offer and start to buy food most games. The same with the programme. Suddenly you have extra profit purely on the basis of one match.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Hard to believe not so long ago there were rumours Swift was talking to NRL clubs ...

Lomax
    Fages Richardson
    Thompson Roby Walmsley
    Taia Peyroux
    Wilkin

Knowles LMS Douglas Amor

Lee and Lees to miss out. Still think we would be better off with Wilkin out, but that aint going to happen
    Similar thoughts, hope Wilkin doesn't hog the ball, will be watching intensly to see how Peyroux, Taia, Wilkin and Knowles perform individually. We need to play similar to last week and restrict Catalans momentum, the french side have a good game in them and we don't want to see it appearing on sunday afternoon.

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Anyone know why the game is on Sunday and not the usual Friday slot? Not seen anything from the club as to whether this is an experimental move or the reasoning behind it.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post

Lomax
    Fages Richardson
    Thompson Roby Walmsley
    Taia Peyroux
    Wilkin

Knowles LMS Douglas Amor

I think Swift has been a bit unlucky really, I'd guess hus try scoring record is about the same as Grace but he always seemed prone to handling errors in the tackle especially on a kick return.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

I fully agree with all of this. I live away from the area and have 2 young kids so the Friday night matches are impossible for me. I wasn;t aware that this game was on a Sunday until last week but can't make the game due to other commitments. Had there been some kind of promotional offer and build-up of the game as a "family fun day" as you mentioned many other families with young kids would go along to give many their first experience of a Saints game. I've said before, I think the evening games are stifling new young supporters coming through and there should be a few games a season specifically for a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Swift has the potential to be a very good player but you can pretty much guarantee he'll come up with an absolute howler in every game
    Swift is 24 now, surely he should be beyond the stage of 'potential' and should be cutting out some of the basic errors which he produces each week? Makinson has certainly become a more rounded winger than him. For me, he just doesn't seem to learn. It's the same mistake week after week and he looks like a rabbit in the headlights dealing with kicks unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    I fully agree with all of this. I live away from the area. Had there been some kind of promotional offer and build-up of the game as a "family fun day" as you mentioned many other families with young kids would go along to give many their first experience of a Saints game. I've said before, I think the evening games are stifling new young supporters coming through and there should be a few games a season specifically for a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
    How many times does the club ever do promotions? advertising? one time local shops would have posters. same poster boards near pubs (okay many pubs have gone) other clubs advertise in local papers, commercial radio, rugby weekly press, but not that much from Langtree Park, sorry I will not use the stupid ground name.

Learning All The Songs

I often get accused of being a Wigan fan because I praise some of their off the field activities. However look at the family days they do. They offer a family of four ticket for £60 (more expensive than ours) however within that they have a £10 food voucher, free parking and a free match programme. Now say you never eat food normally at the ground but make use of the voucher. You may decide you enjoy the food on offer and start to buy food most games. The same with the programme. Suddenly you have extra profit purely on the basis of one match.
    You make some good points mate.its almost has if saints sit back and just accept things the way they are.targeting families and young ones imo is the way forward. I took my daughter to her furst game a few weeks back.she absolutely loved it.now she wants a saints top for her burthday with number 7 on the back due to smiths drop goal.but whillst there she got drinks.crisp,hotdogs. Profits made on all them.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    To be fair to him, in his last few games he hasn't done anything wrong

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think Saints this season have been really poor with off field stuff. Agree we should offer something to get more kids through turnstiles. There has been little 'meet the players' stuff. Last year they did it twice for STH at LP and loads of kids got to meet their idols (as did us adults). Plus they had the odd player at the shop on a few occasions.
    This season I can't really remember much other than Xmas. Very poor I'm afraid.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Wilkin for Lee the only change I imagine.
    That has to be. Lee was not even used last week (but my memory is not great. Or my eyesight).

Learning All The Songs

Odd to play on a day which clashes with a Test Match, the mens Final at Wimbledon and the British Grand Prix

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    Odd to play on a day which clashes with a Test Match, the mens Final at Wimbledon and the British Grand Prix
    The first practice day for the open golf at Birkdale on sunday too.

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    Three good reasons to go and watch Saints in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Houghwood Saint View Post
    The first practice day for the open golf at Birkdale on sunday too.
    If someone would go and watch some guys practising hitting some balls around than watch Saints then I'm happy they don't come. Very dull.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Scumpelstiltskin View Post
    To be fair to him, in his last few games he hasn't done anything wrong

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Swift seems like a confidence player - a lot rides on how he's feeling in himself it seems. Got a lot of good attributes for a winger - his main downfall being mistakes (lack of concentration?) and decision making - particularly in defence. I think he has what it takes, but needs to tidy up his game. Good competition for places will do Swift no harm and if he gets his head down and works hard on his game - should improve him as a player.

Right now Grace has played well enough and taken his chance - and rightly above Swift in the pecking order right now. I'm sure Swift will get another chance to prove his worth. Looking forward to how JH gets the best from the squad.

Back to this game - think the team pretty much picks itself, but will be interested to see JH's decisions on who plays where. Think if we have the right attitude, we should turnover Catalans - but they are a potential banana skin as they have been underperforming and bound to have a good day at some point. They still have some good players.

Squad looking better and hope we can improve week on week from here on in. Looking forward to our no. 37 playing. What's the first game he comes into contention for?

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Squad looking better and hope we can improve week on week from here on in. Looking forward to our no. 37 playing. What's the first game he comes into contention for?
    Week 4 of the Super 8s I think.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Swift seems like a confidence player - a lot rides on how he's feeling in himself it seems. Got a lot of good attributes for a winger - his main downfall being mistakes (lack of concentration?) and decision making - particularly in defence. I think he has what it takes, but needs to tidy up his game. Good competition for places will do Swift no harm and if he gets his head down and works hard on his game - should improve him as a player.

Right now Grace has played well enough and taken his chance - and rightly above Swift in the pecking order right now. I'm sure Swift will get another chance to prove his worth. Looking forward to how JH gets the best from the squad.

Back to this game - think the team pretty much picks itself, but will be interested to see JH's decisions on who plays where. Think if we have the right attitude, we should turnover Catalans - but they are a potential banana skin as they have been underperforming and bound to have a good day at some point. They still have some good players.

If Swift ends up being 3rd choice winger behind Grace and Makinson then thats no bad thing. With the amount of injuries we get he's still probably going to get 10 games a season minimum and he's a much better option than Dawson or Owens have been.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.