Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Penalty at the scrum

Got A Replica Shirt

I seem to remember years ago a player being sent of for persistent feeding in the scrum ,i cant remember who it was

Got A Season Ticket Power_of_the_Pie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Wasn't the rule changed and they now stand 10 yards back to encourage more expansive plays from scrums?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Still states 5 yards in the laws.
    2 April 2010 - HISTORY CANNOT BE REWRITTEN

Got A Season Ticket

Wasn't the rule changed and they now stand 10 yards back to encourage more expansive plays from scrums?

Anyways, scrums should be binned and replaced with a tap. They're pointless.
    The amount of time wasted walking to a scrum and then getting it set annoys me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Scrums provide a useful and sensible break for the players, as well as taking out a number of players from the next play. Replacing with a tap would probably do the former, but not the latter. Without scrums play would be more homogenised.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Power_of_the_Pie View Post
    Still states 5 yards in the laws.
    Changed to 10 from this season.

http://www.rugby-league.com/article/...introduced-in-

Got A Season Ticket

Just being pedantic here but it changed to 10m not yards.
    I know its pedantic but in effect 10m is actually 2ft 6in bigger than 10 yard

..............Standing by

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by The villain View Post
    I seem to remember years ago a player being sent of for persistent feeding in the scrum ,i cant remember who it was
    Must have been Edwards or Gregory
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by brook

I'm pretty sure that's not the rule and the loose forward in fact can't trap the ball like that. I'm sure Cummings went over the rules about this a while ago and as stated the ball is in play when it clears the second rower's feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_of_the_Pie View Post
    It depends which set of rules you take as official.
    Those quoted from the laws of the game in the opening post or those you believe Cummings stated on TV.
    No mention anywhere in the laws of the game about trapping the ball in the scrum.
    The interpretation of when the ball was deemed to be "out" of a scrum was changed about 3 years ago (I haven't seen anything to say it has been re-interpreted since then but there is every chance) and the ball was "Out" once it passed the second rows feet. The loose forward cannot hold the ball in and gain a penalty - there have been 2 cases of this lately where a penalty has been given (so either the refs need a refresher or the RFL need to tell us that the interpretation has changed).
    Although I hate to see any team attempt to do this (its not in he spirit of RL in my opinion) at least the team who started all of this do keep the ball at the second rows feet.

The answer to it is to indeed push at the scrum, and make it impossible to hold the ball there as the power comes from the second rows and if they are trying to hold the ball then they cannot be in a position to push.

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

Scrums still are contested aren't they, only nowadays, they penalise winning against the head rather than feeding.

Also, Leeds did us first game of the season holding it in the pack.
    RHINO balls are like Bon Jovi albums - Slippery When Wet

ST HELENS RFC - Back in business, Thank you Justin Holbrook.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13