Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scrum half v Hull fc

Learning All The Songs

Default Scrum half v Hull fc

With smith injured and wilkin likely suspended who will play scrum half against hull . Will Richardson be a likefor like replacement? Will Lomax get the nod and re jig the back line? Or will there be another solution ?

Nothing to lose now. Time to give some of the youngsters some game time. Hopefully we will see some more of Richardson, Wellington, etc.

In The South Stand

Unless Wellington as lost his potential he is well overdue a chance.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

He has to re jig the back line anyway so I reckon he'll go Makinson to full back and Lomax scrum half.
    He could also try having Richardson on the bench so gets the opportunity to weigh up the options.

Having watched Hull last night I don't think we're going to get much out of this game anyway so we may as well experiment.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Saint View Post
    With smith injured and wilkin likely suspended who will play scrum half against hull . Will Richardson be a likefor like replacement? Will Lomax get the nod and re jig the back line? Or will there be another solution ?
    I can understand why you're asking the question, because your guess is as good as mine when it comes to who St Helens will play in the halves when Smith or Fages isn't there. But really this shouldn't even be a debate- it should be one of the reserve halves simple as that. Even if Jon Wilkin escapes suspension (which he shouldn't), he should not be being used in the halves. I'm sure Holbrook can see that after his performance in the role the other night.

The club has shot themselves in the foot by not signing another half in the off season. Especially when they let go 3 effectively and only brought in 1. And I've said it time and time again that Saints should always have a utility/a pivot on the interchange- how many times do Saints have to keep losing halves in matches before they realise this. St Helens should have won that game against a Leeds side missing some key players. Leeds had a 17 year old at full back who was MOM and rightly so. If Richardson is injured, it should be the next in line who gets the shirt. Fages should be able to play as the dominant half if needs be.

Regards,

STEVO

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    He has to re jig the back line anyway so I reckon he'll go Makinson to full back and Lomax scrum half.
    He could also try having Richardson on the bench so gets the opportunity to weigh up the options.

Having watched Hull last night I don't think we're going to get much out of this game anyway so we may as well experiment.
    Hull were good last night. They played with an aggression that we seem to lack. Their line speed was good and they were determined to get up quickly to play the ball, regardless of what wrestling techniques Cas were using to slow them down.

They must be wondering how they lost! And it did look that an amazing comeback was on its way. To be honest, they must have used too much energy early on and somebody like Hardaker, playing well, must be difficult to stop anyway. All in all, they looked a totally different team than the one we played at Magic. We need our Magic team back!

Albert Kelly seemed to be struggling at times last night. Has he picked up an injury?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Nothing to lose now. Time to give some of the youngsters some game time. Hopefully we will see some more of Richardson, Wellington, etc.
    Absolutely. If anything can come from this complete shitheap of a season, it's the chance to test out some of our promising youngsters to see if it looks like they've got what it takes to make the step-up. I'm sure Holbrook will realise that there is deadwood in our first team squad by now, and where it needs to be trimmed; why not do some early pruning and give young players a chance?

Although, given the underperformers this season have mostly been forwards (Amor, Douglas, LMS, Wilkin, Taia), are there young players with the size & power to dislodge these? Ashworth for sure hasn't looked out of place when he's had a chance, but who else?

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Absolutely. If anything can come from this complete shitheap of a season, it's the chance to test out some of our promising youngsters to see if it looks like they've got what it takes to make the step-up. I'm sure Holbrook will realise that there is deadwood in our first team squad by now, and where it needs to be trimmed; why not do some early pruning and give young players a chance?

Although, given the underperformers this season have mostly been forwards (Amor, Douglas, LMS, Wilkin, Taia), are there young players with the size & power to dislodge these? Ashworth for sure hasn't looked out of place when he's had a chance, but who else?
    Must admit I am out of touch with the reserves / academy level these days so I wouldn't have a clue what is in the pipeline but I hope we give them a good run out before September.

Got A Season Ticket Wise Old Elf's Avatar

I think this is a chance for Holbrook to show that he'll do things differently. He watched the Reserves match last weekend, and would have seen Richardson running the plays. He's a ready made scrum half who needs to gain confidence from playing regular 1st team rugby. Last time Cunningham briefly tried him there, he had Wilkin constantly stepping in and taking over. Now Richardson can prove if he has what it takes.

To be honest, if Holbrook doesn't replace a 7 with a 7, we're looking at more of the same tinkering that got KC removed.
    The Grind always leads to trouble

Got A Season Ticket Wise Old Elf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Must admit I am out of touch with the reserves / academy level these days so I wouldn't have a clue what is in the pipeline but I hope we give them a good run out before September.
    We have a lot of hookers at that level (Cunningham, Smith, Eaves) and some good second rows / back rows (Morris, Cooper, Ashworth) but we're still lacking for props (Greg Richards was filling in). Matty Lees is highly rated, but seems to be injury prone (and is physically more second row than prop) and beneath him you're looking at 2nd year Academy prospects like Olmez.

Seems that props are hard to find amongst the youth of St Helens - surprising when you consider the number of Mc Donald's and Pound Bakeries!
    The Grind always leads to trouble

Learning All The Songs

It would be good to see ashworth in the squad and given a chance expecially with Wilkins potential suspension. Richardson should at least get a go on the beach. Against Hull we need to up out aggression they look physically very strong will be very difficult to beat and will be looking for revenge after their magic hammering

Noooobie

I personally would like to see them give Richardson a chance but I think they will move Lomax into the halves and Makinson to fullback.

In The South Stand

I'd go along with giving Richardson a chance and replace like for like at scrum half.

In The South Stand

In a season where silverware looks like proving elusive (although never say never!), why not give the youngsters a chance? Grace has proved that if you're good enough you're old enough. Wigan (pah!) also prove that bringing in the youngsters gives them good experience for later in their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Saint View Post
    It would be good to see ashworth in the squad and given a chance expecially with Wilkins potential suspension. Richardson should at least get a go on the beach. Against Hull we need to up out aggression they look physically very strong will be very difficult to beat and will be looking for revenge after their magic hammering
    Would that be Southport or Blackpool? Seriously- if Richardson isn't ready I would have Fages at scrum half - thought he played well from there at Leeds- Lomax stand-off and Makinson full back.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    In a season where silverware looks like proving elusive (although never say never!), why not give the youngsters a chance? Grace has proved that if you're good enough you're old enough. Wigan (pah!) also prove that bringing in the youngsters gives them good experience for later in their careers.
    Whilst the youngsters at Wigan have done well, Wigan have gone eight league games without a win.

Learning All The Songs

Holbrook could always play Tommy Lee in the halves. Then he will be able to show the fans why the previous signed him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parrsaint View Post
    I'd go along with giving Richardson a chance and replace like for like at scrum half.
    I'd like to think Richardson will be given a chance. I don't have problem with JW playing right second row, but we all know he is not a 7.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I think we will see Richardson starting at 7 with Tommy Lee on the bench to either spell Roby or replace Richardson if its hard going for the young lad. If Wilkin doesn't play we might see Peyroux as a better option starting than risking Ashworth saying that Ashworth had a reasonable game against Hull last season.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

I don't want to see Wilkin anywhere near the scrumhalf position but if he is banned then will the last one out turn off the light.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Starting A Programme Collection

With Warrington losing last night we are almost guaranteed a top 8 finish now. For me they were the only team that could have caught us but 5 points to make up with 3 games left isn't going to happen. That being said I still don't see Holbrook making too many drastic changes to the side. We may see more as we move into the super 8's but as long as we can still mathematically make the top 4 I think he'll stick with the current senior members of the squad.

If Smith is out for a while I think he'll go with Lomax and Farge at half back and move Makinson back to FB. The only worry is a lack of a kicking game!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    With Warrington losing last night we are almost guaranteed a top 8 finish now. For me they were the only team that could have caught us but 5 points to make up with 3 games left isn't going to happen. That being said I still don't see Holbrook making too many drastic changes to the side. We may see more as we move into the super 8's but as long as we can still mathematically make the top 4 I think he'll stick with the current senior members of the squad.

If Smith is out for a while I think he'll go with Lomax and Farge at half back and move Makinson back to FB. The only worry is a lack of a kicking game!
    If we lose all our remaining games we could go out of the top 8, win all our remaining games and we could get a sniff of targeting top 4 in the super 8's. When we get into the Super 8's it would be better if we could get Cas Hull and Salford as home games, I think we could beat Leeds and Wigan away the rest Wakefield + one other 50/50. When Barba plays we need the fixture schedule to fall in our favour to be against the teams above us.

For the absence of Smith if its 3 or 4 weeks then I would leave Lomax where he is and just play Richardson, not overburden him and get him just to concentrate on a kicking game with Fages on the set plays with Lomax the extra half back at offence.

Richardson in, Makinson back on the wing, Lomax in his best position full back. No need for swapping and changing three or four positions, thats what Cunningham did we don't need it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    If we lose all our remaining games we could go out of the top 8, win all our remaining games and we could get a sniff of targeting top 4 in the super 8's. When we get into the Super 8's it would be better if we could get Cas Hull and Salford as home games, I think we could beat Leeds and Wigan away the rest Wakefield + one other 50/50. When Barba plays we need the fixture schedule to fall in our favour to be against the teams above us.

For the absence of Smith if its 3 or 4 weeks then I would leave Lomax where he is and just play Richardson, not overburden him and get him just to concentrate on a kicking game with Fages on the set plays with Lomax the extra half back at offence.
    Richardson in for 3-4 consecutive games might give us a chance to see what he offers.

I would like to Richardson given a chance again. It will be a big ask but we need to give this lad another go in the first team.