Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Penalties

Learning All The Songs

Typical of our season really poor handling and decision making from us not getting the rub of the green with Smith injury and wilkin sin binning getting no 50 50 calls from the ref .Not even Ben Barbas appearance any time soon .

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Disappointing result, but I think we played quite well in spite of the disruption of losing Smith.
    We did lose a lot of possession but some of that was down to trying to play expansive rugby.
    I think at Leeds the penalty count us often influenced by the crowd in the South Stand but apparently that's going in the next few weeks so the drummer will have to find somewhere else for the rest of the season.

The next few weeks are going to be a struggle, a few weeks ago I thought Warrington were definitely destined fir the bottom four but they seem to be getting their act together.
    Mathematically they can still overtake Huddersfield Wigan and Saints.

We need three points to guarantee a place in top eight.
    Hull next week are going to be tough, it will be difficult to get any points from that game.
    Catalan the week after should be a home win but McNamara may have tightened them up by then.
    Then the last game we've got Wakefield away anything can happen there.

It's going to be a nervy three weeks

Banned

When Smith had blood pouring from his face the ref wasn't going to stop the game. Wilkin had to give away a penalty for holding down to draw his attention to it.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by markrvr View Post
    When Smith had blood pouring from his face the ref wasn't going to stop the game. Wilkin had to give away a penalty for holding down to draw his attention to it.
    To me it looked like he gave away the penalty and tried to use the injury as the reason for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Quite remarkable.

Having said that, some of our penalties were dreadful. Thompson on the first after a great kick chase. Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhh
    I'm a big fan of Thompson but he got called some unpleasant names in my living room for that one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    To me it looked like he gave away the penalty and tried to use the injury as the reason for doing it.
    No it was him who caused the injury he knew something was up.

Banned

We're consistently on the wrong side of penalty counts

Yet we're not a dirty side, and the time we take to clear the ruck isn't IMO longer than other teams (in fact, we clear it quicker than certain others) yet we get pinged for it far more frequently.

Are we doing it 'dumb'? Do other teams just slow the PTB smarter than we do?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

Yet we're not a dirty side, and the time we take to clear the ruck isn't IMO longer than other teams (in fact, we clear it quicker than certain others) yet we get pinged for it far more frequently.

We really seem to get penalised a lot and other teams do seem to get away with stuff. I thought last night when Roby made that break that he was held down while trying to get up and we got nothing, yet a few minutes earlier we were penalised for holding down.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I'm a big fan of Thompson but he got called some unpleasant names in my living room for that one.
    That was the game changing moment for me, the Thompson penalty led to the Wilkin sin binning and so on. That was a perfect kick a great chase from Robes and then we threw it away.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

I,ve been saying all season we are one of the "dumbest sides" in super league, whats disappointing is that Holbrook talks a lot about it but doesn't seem to be able to rectify it.

In The South Stand

Penalty count 11-3 with Wilkin sin binned. Looking at stats like that, if you hadn't seen the game you'd have thought we'd gone out to maim the opposition. Some really poor officiating...........again! The drop out which wasn't, high shots on Lomax, not seen, penalty against Wilkin for drawing attention to Smith's gushing eye. Personally, I thought we played okay, certainly exciting to watch and a million miles away from the rubbish KC served up. We need to remember that we were playing Leeds at Headingly! We lost by two points and scored four tries each, not bad. Yeah we can pick out individuals who were below par (Zeb, what has happened to you?) but poor officiating did for us. No one is going to win a match when the opposition gets nearly four times as many penalties awarded to them.

Same as the last 3 away games. We could and should have won.

Blame the officials as much as you like but he reality is we are simply not good and smart enough at the moment.

Our execution at times is very poor. We made a few breaks but for some reason we don't seem to push up in support. Roby makes a break if someone is on his shoulder we score. If Makinson takes THAT pass we score. At one point in the first half their wingman was virtually crippled- did we have the nouse to attack him straight away? No we plodded through 6 tackles instead of moving it swiftly that way straight away and eventually kick to that corner. Amor falls off a one on one tackle - result try.

Our set ending plays were dire. The same high kick time after time ( until Theo put a couple of nice kicks in towards the end), Wilkin kicking straight into their blokes hands, etc

Been saying it all season but at times we just appear to lack basic RL skills and foresight to play what is in front of us which for full time professionals at a so called premier club is unbelievable.

Yes we got caned in the penalty count but Leeds were well and truly there for the taking and we need to look closer to home for the reason why and stop carping about officials. At the moment we are quite simply not good enough in what is a very poor competition. That win took Leeds into second and they looked pretty clueless themselves at times.

Learning All The Songs

How come smith gets slated when he plays but when he goes off injured then we miss him.im not his biggest fan but make your minds up

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I,ve been saying all season we are one of the "dumbest sides" in super league, whats disappointing is that Holbrook talks a lot about it but doesn't seem to be able to rectify it.
    That is The biggest problem we have now imo. We are the dumbest, you're right. Not sure what Justin can do to rectify, short of brain cell transplantation suddenly becoming available.

Got A Season Ticket Voll au Vent's Avatar

I said to one of the group with me last night after Leeds had just taken a 12-4 lead early in the second half; "You just watch, we'll find a way to get back in front and then Child will penalise the hell out of us and we'll lose narrowly." It happened just as I predicted, but I never saw the diabolical VR 'drop out' decision coming.
    Yes, we were dumb, yes too many unforced errors, but no one will convince me Child was impartial last night. He was only looking at one side as far as infringements were concerned.

Got A Season Ticket

The problem with penalties are the fact that they are mostly discretionary.

At any PTB, there can be 1 of 7 infringements given: Holding down, second effort ie leg pulling, hands on the ball, markers not square, defensive line offside plus not playing the ball correctly (yes I know) and moving off the mark.

A ref could ping any side a whole number of times throughout the game for those, plus you also have foul play to consider.

When, who and where he decides to penalise is really the key.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    That is The biggest problem we have now imo. We are the dumbest, you're right. Not sure what Justin can do to rectify, short of brain cell transplantation suddenly becoming available.
    Agree with both those points. It shouldn't really get to a point where a penalty is a 50/50 call because you know when you're playing where the line is. 95% of the time penalties at the ruck are conceded because players are either fatigued or desperate. We've looked desperate all season, constantly trying to find a miracle play or losing composure when we do break teams down a bit. The number of games we've lost this season that we should have won is alarming.

Our goal line defence will be a concern. They aren't system errors, they're individual errors. Conceded some really, really soft tries over the last couple of weeks when we've been camped on our line and they're all through someone jumping out or poor contact.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Had he not let on he was injured it wouldn't have even been a penalty.
    Nope as there probably wouldn't have been a replay of the incident for Hicks to give a second opinion on. This inconsistant use of video replays for "non try" decisions is an issue that needs addressing imo because the inconsistancy is farcical.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by djdegsy View Post
    How come smith gets slated when he plays but when he goes off injured then we miss him.im not his biggest fan but make your minds up
    Because, maybe, some people are bright enough to realise that losing the 7 you train with constantly so early in a game, having to reshuffle and being a sub down, is meaningful. Irrespective of your views of said 7 more generally.

No?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Ptb View Post
    The problem with penalties are the fact that they are mostly discretionary.

At any PTB, there can be 1 of 7 infringements given: Holding down, second effort ie leg pulling, hands on the ball, markers not square, defensive line offside plus not playing the ball correctly (yes I know) and moving off the mark.

A ref could ping any side a whole number of times throughout the game for those, plus you also have foul play to consider.

When, who and where he decides to penalise is really the key.
    Exactly right. Throughout games most sides could continually be pinged for offside, lying on and scrum infringements. As you say, it's down to who the ref wishes to penalise. Any sensible official would try and be proportionate, but Childs (rather like Thayler) just decided to cane us. Re offsides at the ptb, don't know why the touch judges can't police them, rather than the ref. We may have been dumb and not squeaky clean, but were we really worth penalising nearly four times more than Leeds?