Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foster hangs up hid boots

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Default Foster hangs up hid boots

Jamie Foster announced his (not hid) retirement from the game today at the age of 26.

Wouldn't have necessarily posted about this but a player who notched up 618 points in two years for the club at least deserved a mention.

Good luck for the future

http://www.totalrl.com/former-st-hel...oster-retires/
    Last edited by Nickles Forearm; 21st June 2017 at 12:02.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Jamie Foster announced his (not hid) retirement from the game at today at the age of 26.

Wouldn't have necessarily posted about this but a player who notched up 618 points in two years for the club at least deserved a mention.

Good luck for the future

http://www.totalrl.com/former-st-hel...oster-retires/

Best of luck to him.

I know things went the shape of the pear, but when he burst onto the scene (along with Gaskell, Lomax, Wheeler & others round that time, to complement quality like Graham, Roby & Eastmond) I just remember being brimming with optimism for the future; a return to our place as top dogs after a blip. That pass he took behind his back against Leeds... thought we had a potential top quality player come through the ranks.

I think he was a bit harshly treated at times, a certain element of the fanbase turned on him (not always for rugby reasons), and it all conspired to destroy his confidence.

Wasn't long before all that optimism dissolved. We had some awful luck for a fair few years, from the GF defeats, to players moving on, to injuries, to emerging talent not kicking on, to signings that looked good on paper turning out to be duds.

Ah, what might have been....

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Best of luck to him.

I know things went the shape of the pear, but when he burst onto the scene (along with Gaskell, Lomax, Wheeler & others round that time, to complement quality like Graham, Roby & Eastmond) I just remember being brimming with optimism for the future; a return to our place as top dogs after a blip. That pass he took behind his back against Leeds... thought we had a potential top quality player come through the ranks.

I think he was a bit harshly treated at times, a certain element of the fanbase turned on him (not always for rugby reasons), and it all conspired to destroy his confidence.

Wasn't long before all that optimism dissolved. We had some awful luck for a fair few years, from the GF defeats, to players moving on, to injuries, to emerging talent not kicking on, to signings that looked good on paper turning out to be duds.

Good Luck Jamie.

Although he was never a worldbeater, I felt a bit sorry for him. He seemed to become a scapegoat at Saints when things started to go wrong. Had been a little bit older and started out when we were a stronger team, I think he would have stayed longer and got in the team purely on his kicking. Unfortunately there wasn't enough quality around him to "carry" him.

I don't think it helped that he became a bit of a pin-up due to his initial success. He was at the time touted as "the David Beckham of rugby league" but couldn't live up to that on the pitch.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Best of luck to him.

You could have written that for me. Exactly my sentiments about him. If saints and him both had their chance again with him, the whole thing could have turned out differently.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Good luck to him. Showed some promise in his first year, that team did well to make the Grand Final with so many young players. Wasn't as good as Meli/Makinson/Swift/Gardner, not quite big enough or quick enough IMO. Good finisher and kicker mind. Things haven't quite worked out for him elsewhere which is unfortunate.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Good luck to him. Showed some promise in his first year, that team did well to make the Grand Final with so many young players. Wasn't as good as Meli/Makinson/Swift/Gardner, not quite big enough or quick enough IMO. Good finisher and kicker mind. Things haven't quite worked out for him elsewhere which is unfortunate.
    Sorry don't believe he ever had the heart for the game.

WARNING! WIDNES FAN!

It amazes me how someone who did so well in the super league and scored so many points could not be a really good player in a league below. surely he should be playing at least at championship level

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ROBBO View Post
    Sorry don't believe he ever had the heart for the game.
    Agree to play Rugby League you have to have a big ticker,retiring at 26 sums it up for me

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1964 View Post
    Agree to play Rugby League you have to have a big ticker,retiring at 26 sums it up for me
    So the likes of Magennis retiring at 23 or Johnny Walsh finishing at 26 didn't have the heart for it then?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    So the likes of Magennis retiring at 23 or Johnny Walsh finishing at 26 didn't have the heart for it then?
    No idea about Walsh as that's a bit before my time but Magennis retired through injury and that's totally different to just giving up.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    No idea about Walsh as that's a bit before my time but Magennis retired through injury and that's totally different to just giving up.
    Magennis did have a bad injury that forced him to retire. Pity really as he is hard as nails and could have been a real tough nut in our back row.

Didn't Johnny Walsh have a really good Physics degree or something and went pursuing a career along those lines? Been told he was a class act but before my time

Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    It amazes me how someone who did so well in the super league and scored so many points could not be a really good player in a league below. surely he should be playing at least at championship level
    Same. I'm surprised. Thought he did well with Meli on that side for a while when Meli moved to centre. Remembered them destroying Leeds early in the 2011 season at Headingley when Foster scored that try putting the ball behind his back

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Walsh was 29 when he retired and had won every honour in in the game . So please don't speak of foster and walsh in the same breath. I'm old enough to have watched Walsh in his pomp. YES he had a big heart.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Having spent time with both Jamie and his grandad as they both very kindly came down to my sons team frequently to help out and do kicking sessions, when he says it's to spend time with him as he has Parkinson's then I am not at all surprised by his decision. They are incredibly close, and Jamie will literally spend hours every day with him now he is ill and rugby would mean he could not give up so much time. If he is making enough money and would prefer to spend his time with his grandad, good for him. He knows he isn't going to be at a top club and maybe thinks part time at Swinton or whatever just is not comparable. Both he and his grandad are incredibly nice people, and gave up a lot of their time totally ungrudgingly and were great with the lads. I wish them all the best and hope they enjoy their time together. He has plenty of heart where it actually matters.

Got A Replica Shirt

Jamie was one of the new breed of players who was trying to look after himself financially after his RL career. KC had the knives out for him for quite a time because of his external interests and it was no surprise that Jamie was moved on once KC had a little power and influence. If players today were moved on after a couple of iffy games we wouldn't have a squad.
    I will remember him for some of the better moments he had at Saints and I wish him well for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Magennis did have a bad injury that forced him to retire. Pity really as he is hard as nails and could have been a real tough nut in our back row.

Didn't Johnny Walsh have a really good Physics degree or something and went pursuing a career along those lines? Been told he was a class act but before my time
    It was an accountancy qualification, I seem to recall. Played alongside Walshie for a few games and he was top class, not particularly fleet of foot but a great reader of the game and able to get someone to buy a dummy just by moving his eyes! I'm also glad I was never on the receiving end of one of his spot tackles.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBBO View Post
    Walsh was 29 when he retired and had won every honour in in the game . So please don't speak of foster and walsh in the same breath. I'm old enough to have watched Walsh in his pomp. YES he had a big heart.
    I stand corrected on his age when he finished. You miss my point though. I would never compare both re skill and talent. I was highlighting the fact that players do finish early and have plenty of heart. He does have a recurrent hand injury and its commendable that he wants to spend time with his grandad.

Quote Originally Posted by softly softly View Post
    Jamie was one of the new breed of players who was trying to look after himself financially after his RL career. KC had the knives out for him for quite a time because of his external interests and it was no surprise that Jamie was moved on once KC had a little power and influence. If players today were moved on after a couple of iffy games we wouldn't have a squad.
    I will remember him for some of the better moments he had at Saints and I wish him well for the future.
    Very well put. Couldn't agree more.

He was a qualified actuary, one of the highest paid professions. Played with and against him when he came to my club when he was in dispute with Saints. Obviously he was in the driving seat. Clever bloke, good egg and a fantastic rugby player.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    It was an accountancy qualification, I seem to recall. Played alongside Walshie for a few games and he was top class, not particularly fleet of foot but a great reader of the game and able to get someone to buy a dummy just by moving his eyes! I'm also glad I was never on the receiving end of one of his spot tackles.
    Thanks Tabasco. Not sure where I got physics from?

Quote Originally Posted by jonimac View Post
    He was a qualified actuary, one of the highest paid professions. Played with and against him when he came to my club when he was in dispute with Saints. Obviously he was in the driving seat. Clever bloke, good egg and a fantastic rugby player.
    Is that the same as accountancy or similar? Not going to Google and cheat! Thanks also jonimac

Got A Season Ticket

That was exactly how I heard it too.

Really nice lad and his halfway goal kick in that GF is one of the best I've ever seen.

Good luck to him

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ptb View Post
    That was exactly how I heard it too.

Really nice lad and his halfway goal kick in that GF is one of the best I've ever seen.

Good luck to him
    And me, multiple reports from several people. Along the lines of 'you'll never play for Saints again'

It wasn't just KC, it was also others at the club!

Whilst Foster wasn't a world beater, I don't think he was treated fairly during the latter part of his Saints career. It's a short career and good on Foster for looking out for himself with his business.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Is that the same as accountancy or similar? Not going to Google and cheat! Thanks also jonimac
    A actuary works out the odds for the insurance companies.
    Walshy got an offer of a good job in Canada and went over there. I was out with him and a couple of others in Perth in 75.
    Got back to the hotel to find Murphy waiting by the lift. He had a go at Walshy and got one for his troubles