Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Injuries

Default Injuries

Has anyone heard about the injuries picked up in the Huddersfield game?

Ryan Morgan went off with a knee injury I think, Walmsley seemed to be struggling with his shoulder during the warm-up, and didn't seem to have the same impact on the game as a result, and Lomax was sadly having trouble with his knee again, with the physio checking on it many times.

Added to that, Percival was put on report for a high tackle, did anyone see how bad it was? I couldn't see from where I was sat.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by curly View Post
    Has anyone heard about the injuries picked up in the Huddersfield game?

Ryan Morgan went off with a knee injury I think, Walmsley seemed to be struggling with his shoulder during the warm-up, and didn't seem to have the same impact on the game as a result, and Lomax was sadly having trouble with his knee again, with the physio checking on it many times.

Added to that, Percival was put on report for a high tackle, did anyone see how bad it was? I couldn't see from where I was sat.
    I can tell you this Much, if Morgan didn't play again for us as a result of any injury, he could be replaced by any number of amateur players who will better than him. No offence to the lad but saying he's an average player is an over statement.

Starting A Programme Collection Harri81's Avatar

Hope the lad is ok, but have to be honest he's one if the worst centres to pull in the red v. Hardly passes, poor in defence and can hardly beat a player in front of him. Who ever thought he was a class signing and paid for him to come to saints needs a serous talking to in what a centre should be.
    Saints until i Die!!!!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Harri81 View Post
    Hope the lad is ok, but have to be honest he's one if the worst centres to pull in the red v. Hardly passes, poor in defence and can hardly beat a player in front of him. Who ever thought he was a class signing and paid for him to come to saints needs a serous talking to in what a centre should be.
    Is he as bad as Steve Halliwell ex-Leigh & Saint. The way Amor has been playing it looks as if he's been carrying a knock all season. A huge let down after last season when he was one of our better chaps.

In The South Stand

It's been said time and time again,but with the slow service out to the right what exactly do you expect him to do ? honestly you could put any class player out there and it would be the same result. It's the Shenton situation all over,but lets scape got someone when the blame lies further in field.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    It's been said time and time again,but with the slow service out to the right what exactly do you expect him to do ? honestly you could put any class player out there and it would be the same result. It's the Shenton situation all over,but lets scape got someone when the blame lies further in field.
    Good point. Since Lyon and Gidley, we've had Shenton, Turner and now Morgan, who all seem to have struggled on the right. Can they all be that bad? Or is it the way we play?

Quote Originally Posted by Ptb View Post
    Good point. Since Lyon and Gidley, we've had Shenton, Turner and now Morgan, who all seem to have struggled on the right. Can they all be that bad? Or is it the way we play?
    I think it's simply the fact that players find it easier passing right to left especially a longer pass.

It's a basic skill but so many halves struggle with a left to right pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Is he as bad as Steve Halliwell ex-Leigh & Saint. The way Amor has been playing it looks as if he's been carrying a knock all season. A huge let down after last season when he was one of our better chaps.
    Steve Halliwell was a superb "then" second division centre who scored 49 tries in the Leigh promotion season. He won 10 grand for it and kept it all for himself. He joined Saints and his first game in the top division was against Leigh, fast forward to kick off aimed straight at Halliwell with Tony Cotterill a guy I played against running straight at Halliwell and BANG BANG! I think his jaw got broke and Tony didn't even wait for the card or book to come out.

Only turned pro at 32 Cotterill but like another ex Leigh forward Timmy Street 5 foot 10 and 14 stone but would take anything on including one incident with Grahame West.

In The South Stand

Look at the players we have when we had Gleeson then Lyon then Gidly,we had Long who offered a major running threat from halfback and Gilmour who was a big fast second row. This made defences have to compress a bit as if they left slightly larger gaps then they would be exploited. Now we have Smith on that side who offers no running threat and is slow passing,we have Wilkin who being fair has made things better on that side and before him LMS or Peyroux. The defence then could spread out a bit and leave slightly larger gaps knowing that there was not a major running threat thus leaving less space for Morgan.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Before Gleeson didn't we have Damian Smith (ouch).

Scott Gibbs was always awesome on the right, with Newlove on the left. What I'd give to see a season of those two again

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Before Gleeson didn't we have Damian Smith (ouch).

Scott Gibbs was always awesome on the right, with Newlove on the left. What I'd give to see a season of those two again
    With iro in between..

Another awesome combination

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    I think it's simply the fact that players find it easier passing right to left especially a longer pass.

I has something to do with being either right handed or left handed--most people are right handed about 1in 10 are left handed--therefore right to left is the stronger pass for most of us.
    Bringing it all back home.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    I don't think Morgan is that bad. To have him among the worst Saints centres is very harsh for me. Ok so he's not Lyon, Gidley or Iro but the amount of ball that we kill before it even gets to Morgan would hamper even those greats.
    I'm with you Stephen, if he got put into any attacking situation it would be amazing. Despite the poor service he gets, he's scored a few tries. He knows how to score just doesn't get that many opportuinites.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I'm with you Stephen, if he got put into any attacking situation it would be amazing. Despite the poor service he gets, he's scored a few tries. He knows how to score just doesn't get that many opportuinites.
    I think you are correct. He may not be a world beater but it's harsh to be too critical with the service he has had.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

Unless your left handed then it's easy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    I don't think Morgan is that bad. To have him among the worst Saints centres is very harsh for me. Ok so he's not Lyon, Gidley or Iro but the amount of ball that we kill before it even gets to Morgan would hamper even those greats.
    Really well you must be watching a different game,he is bang average at best

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1964 View Post
    Really well you must be watching a different game,he is bang average at best
    I think it may be you who is watching a different game,as stated what do you expect him to do when he gets such slow ball ? You could put Percival over there and it would be the same issue.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

I'm not sure if he's one of the worst, but based on the performances I've seen from him in a St Helens shirt this season, you would be forgiven for thinking that the chairman Eamonn McManus was referring to a different player when he said 'He's a genuine centre with size, pace and power' http://www.skysports.com/rugby-leagu...elbourne-storm

He struggles to make metres after contact which suggests a lack of power to me, and of course I'm sure many remember Morgan being caught by Mark Flanagan.

That right sided centre spot is a position I would be looking to improve if I was Holbrook in the off season. It seems (from McManus' comments) Saints know what they need in a centre, they just need to pick the right one.

Regards,

STEVO

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

I think it may be you who is watching a different game,as stated what do you expect him to do when he gets such slow ball ? You could put Percival over there and it would be the same issue.
    It's partially that but also, Rugby League is a team sport and it's about finding combinations that fit and work. Morgan has good feet and a nice fend but he isn't quick. You need a winger alongside him who is and neither Makinson or Swift are really, they've got acceleration but aren't quick. He's got some attributes but there's a lack of blend on that edge. He hasn't had a decent full back inside him all year either because Lomax has been injured and naturally we attack from right to left anyway, purely because that's the default position of our halves as much as anything else. He's looked better lately and this injury is obviously unfortunate for him and for us.

Took a lot of stick because he's Australian and because of what we were told beforehand but it's a team thing as much as anything.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I'm not sure if he's one of the worst, but based on the performances I've seen from him in a St Helens shirt this season, you would be forgiven for thinking that the chairman Eamonn McManus was referring to a different player when he said 'He's a genuine centre with size, pace and power' http://www.skysports.com/rugby-leagu...elbourne-storm

He struggles to make metres after contact which suggests a lack of power to me, and of course I'm sure many remember Morgan being caught by Mark Flanagan.

That right sided centre spot is a position I would be looking to improve if I was Holbrook in the off season. It seems (from McManus' comments) Saints know what they need in a centre, they just need to pick the right one.

Regards,

STEVO
    Yes he got caught,but it wasnt a pure footrace, Flash had read the play and was moving at full pace before Morgan even got the ball,Morgan then had to adjust his stride pattern to take the ball that was thrown slightly behind him from Pecival and lost some speed because of it. It was more very good play from Flash than anything,but hey ho lets just bring this one up again.

Great lets sign a new centre and not change the players inside him,that will help loads. We need a halfback that offers a threat to the line ( Smith doesn't ),we need a big right sided 2nd row who can tie in defenders, once we have both of those then Morgan would look a far better player.

Yes he got caught,but it wasnt a pure footrace, Flash had read the play and was moving at full pace before Morgan even got the ball,Morgan then had to adjust his stride pattern to take the ball that was thrown slightly behind him from Pecival and lost some speed because of it. It was more very good play from Flash than anything,but hey ho lets just bring this one up again.
    That's the best load of drivel i've heard in a long time.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Sausalito View Post
    That's the best load of drivel i've heard in a long time.
    whatever,you are entitled to your view,fact is if he doesn't have to change his stride pattern then he doesn't get caught. But regardless of that we still have the problem of poor ball out to the right.