Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Lions Tour

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Default Lions Tour

Anyone on here been watching? Only a couple more games to go until the first test.

Mixed bag so far and there's certainly a difference between those who'll play in the tests and those who won't, it'll be interesting to see who starts and how Gatland wants to play.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Anyone on here been watching? Only a couple more games to go until the first test.

Mixed bag so far and there's certainly a difference between those who'll play in the tests and those who won't, it'll be interesting to see who starts and how Gatland wants to play.
    I always get incredibly jealous when these Lions tours come around because I remember how big our RL tours felt back in the day.

I've kept an eye on it because I do like Union and really like the Lions concept. Very mixed bag as you say, and the line up for the First Test is still nowhere near concrete, with question marks over full back and over Warburton.

When I looked at the schedule the Lions had I worried that it was too long, too tough and could end with them losing games before the First Test. However, even though they have done exactly that I hope the defeats prove to be beneficial in preparing the squad for the Test series and allow Gatland to make some tough decisions that maybe he wouldn't have made had they not had these games against the Super Rugby teams.

At this stage I could not predict anything other than a 3-0 All Blacks series win. Nobody really expects the Lions to win this series, so in reality the job is to take the series into the Third Test at 1-1. How they react to what I think will be a comfortable defeat in the First Test is key.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Much better this morning, few players put their hands up. The set piece is looking solid throughout now, was good on Saturday and again today, big minutes from the front five, albeit against a weakened opposition. Plenty of options in the back three, thought Jack Nowell was class today. I saw the NZ v Samoa game and they're ridiculously clinical. It's the same in Rugby League when England play against Australia, its generally pretty even in terms of the middle 60 but they just take their opportunities whilst we don't. That and discipline will be key, very difficult on a Lions four though because you'll only beg maybe two games max with your full strength side. I personally would be happy with:

1. Vunipola
    2. George
    3. Furlong
    4. Itoje
    5. Kruis
    6. O'Mahony (c)
    7. O'Brien
    8. Falutau
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. North (not convinced)
    12. Farrell
    13. Teo
    14. Watson
    15. Halfpenny

Expect Farrell to play 10 with Teo and Davies centres, mind.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I thought it was a fascinating contest for an hour, yet always assumed NZ would pull away. I thought the Lions let themselves down with sloppy mistakes and poor discipline defensively but at times looked crisp with the ball. I thought the decision by Farrell to kick for the line out near their line at 13-8 was the gutsiest and yet most stupid decision of the game though. No matter how confident they were, to turn down a guaranteed 3 points in a 5 point Test match against the All Blacks in Auckland was some decision!

Looking forward to seeing the Second Test and seeing whether the Lions can take this to a Third game. It's a big big ask though.