Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: refs

Quote Originally Posted by markrvr View Post
    I agree. And stats mean nothing really. It doesn't tell you how many offsides they don't give that were obvious, how many forward passes they missed and also at what time in the games they were given. I'm sure some of them give penalties once the game is dead to even up the penalty count.

I'm certain this happens

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    The pool of refs is too small and they do have some awful games, but so do players.
    If a player is awful, he gets dropped

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    He was horrific. There was a spell when we seemed to get him every time we played Wigan and he absolutely hammered us.
    Its on the BBC rugby league page concerning Ian Smith he has had mental issues in the past which might explain the way he controlled games. He talks of mood swings during a game.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 12th June 2017 at 16:11.

Just watching Sky Sports News and they are talking about the upcoming RU Lions test and mentioned that both coaches will be talking to the ref prior to the game to 'talk about areas of the game'. Does anyone know if this is done in RL? I think it's a bit rich myself, having coaches asking refs to look out for this or that. Or am I being a bit naive.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Just watching Sky Sports News and they are talking about the upcoming RU Lions test and mentioned that both coaches will be talking to the ref prior to the game to 'talk about areas of the game'. Does anyone know if this is done in RL? I think it's a bit rich myself, having coaches asking refs to look out for this or that. Or am I being a bit naive.
    I don't think it's to ask the ref to look at this or that but more a clarification on how rules will be interpreted.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Did anyone notice if Percival threw the ball at the ref on Friday, think it was Salford's try from a kick? I only caught it out the corner of my eye. The highlights get cut off before that happens. If he did,.he could get a decent ban, they have been pretty hot on contact with the ref this year

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    Did anyone notice if Percival threw the ball at the ref on Friday, think it was Salford's try from a kick? I only caught it out the corner of my eye. The highlights get cut off before that happens. If he did,.he could get a decent ban, they have been pretty hot on contact with the ref this year
    Frustrated at the try, he booted the ball which hit the ref.

Learning All The Songs

How can Child's & Hicks get that dropout decision wrong between them??
    Instead of a repeat set with 10 to go in a close game we face a 7 tackle defensive set instead...
    How, with video replays can a video referee get that call wrong? Blatant incompetence from Hicks.
    He must be the only man in the world watching that game who thought it was caught in goal. Shambles

Banned

Is it incompetence?

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furlongs View Post
    Is it incompetence?
    In a strange way you'd hope so. If any of us were that poor at our jobs consistently we would be fired off

I'm sure Swift brushed Childs when Leeds scored one of their tries....Two game ban on the way...petulant c**t.😁

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Upside
    Non Members

Watching rugby union, which I haven't watched in years and it is surprising how much respect there is for the ref. I had forgotten that this is how it used to be in league. RL now looks closer to football with constant complaining, questioning, talking back. I remember people complaining that Hanley spoke to the ref walking to the pitch and he shouldn't need be allowed to, how things have changed and not for the better IMO, the product looks worse with the amount of shouting at the ref.

BTW, I though the ref had a good game last night

Another shocking video ref decision last night. Clear try for Hull chalked off. Absolutely baffling.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Another shocking video ref decision last night. Clear try for Hull chalked off. Absolutely baffling.
    I agree with that, commentators said it's because he said no on the field, but it was clearly a try? Why use a video ref if they don't overturn a clear try?
    Last edited by Div; 1st July 2017 at 11:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I agree with that, commentators said it's because he said no on the field, but it was clearly a try? Why use a video ref if they don't overturn a clear try?

Puzzling indeed. The ball clearly went over the players shoulder whether he touched it or not it certainly wasn't a knock on. Clear try. Even Cummings said it would be awarded - then it wasn't! Almost as strange as Taia's try in the cup at Wheldon Road. The whole system is a totally mockery.

Personally I would scrap the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Sorry think I edited instead of quoted first time!

The Hull no try last night was strange. If the ref thought it was a knock on, why didn't he blow his whistle? Instead he let Hull play on and score before deciding it was a knock on.

Players seem to be getting in the faces of referees a lot recently, and on occasions players talk the referee into double checking a call with the video ref, again seen last night. Games are so stop-start with 8PM kick offs finishing at around 10PM now (although late kick offs and 18-19 minute half times aren't helping).

I would strongly consider introducing a challenge system. Each team gets 1 challenge per game, get it wrong and you lose it, get it right and you keep it. It would also stop the dissent towards the refs as they have the option to challenge. It wouldn't be a perfect system, but I think it's worth trialling in the Championship and seeing how it goes.

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Completely agree. At the time there wasn't much fuss made of it as Cas seemed well clear but, in the end, it cost Hull the game. Amazing how often they are getting these wrong and yet they are still unaccountable.

BTW, when was the last time Cas got a bad call? They got 2 awful decisions go their way in the 2 wins against us. The powers that be seemed determined to give them every chance of winning the title.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Upside
    Non Members

Puzzling indeed. The ball clearly went over the players shoulder whether he touched it or not it certainly wasn't a knock on. Clear try. Even Cummings said it would be awarded - then it wasn't! Almost as strange as Taia's try in the cup at Wheldon Road. The whole system is a totally mockery.

Personally I would scrap the idea.
    I think the video ref is here to stay, but I'm not convinced it's a benefit to the game at all

It used to be that the ref would give benefit of doubt to attacking team, why can't that be the case with the video ref, so a 75/25 goes to the 75, a 50/50 goes to the attacking team

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

The ref shouldn't be making an on field "guess" call at all, if he's going to the screen let the video ref have the responsibility of the final call, if the video ref can't decide then its benefit of the doubt to the attacking side. With the Hull "no try" Buchanan from Leeds was part of the radio commentary and mentioned that if a Hull player took the ball on the full off the shoulder it would have been a backward classified forward pass and the video ref would have had to allow it as a try, its all a mess really and is a mockery of the game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Another one against Catalans where hewer didn't bother going to the screen, a penalty and a foot in touch double

Learning All The Songs The Great Tom Vol's Avatar

if leigh win catalan where robbed. the ref and touchjudge a disgrace.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    The ref shouldn't be making an on field "guess" call at all, if he's going to the screen let the video ref have the responsibility of the final call, if the video ref can't decide then its benefit of the doubt to the attacking side. With the Hull "no try" Buchanan from Leeds was part of the radio commentary and mentioned that if a Hull player took the ball on the full off the shoulder it would have been a backward classified forward pass and the video ref would have had to allow it as a try, its all a mess really and is a mockery of the game.
    I think we agree, that's what I was getting at

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Another one against Catalans where hewer didn't bother going to the screen, a penalty and a foot in touch double
    That was one of the worst decisions I have seen.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    That was one of the worst decisions I have seen.
    Wasn't Henderson gill once given a try when he dropped it when stood up?

Even so, yes a very poor decision