Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Grace under pressure...

Learning All The Songs

Default Grace under pressure...

As far as I can see over the last 5 games Grace has had exactly two passes given to him in any sort of attacking field position. Both passes were against Hull near the end of the game. In both cases he turned them into tries. One of those was no given either with a nice inside side step to get through. So... why is he getting so little ball? Is this a coaching instruction because he's still young and raw? Is it just because opposition teams see him as such a danger that it is now leaving room for Percival and Taia to take their chances without passes out to the wing?

Just feel he deserves more passes, Running that ball in on the first or second tackle will just wear him out and knock all the enthusiasm and spirit out of him without some of the exciting stuff to play.

Banned

I think he suffers from having the ball hogs of Percival and taia inside him.

Got A Season Ticket

[QUOTE=markrvr;699368]I think he suffers from having the ball hogs of Percival and taia inside him.[/QUOTE

I Think swift has the same problem as well. we do not seem to be using either winger to full effect.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

[QUOTE=metalsaint;699369]
    Quote Originally Posted by markrvr View Post
    I think he suffers from having the ball hogs of Percival and taia inside him.[/QUOTE

I Think swift has the same problem as well. we do not seem to be using either winger to full effect.
    Just going to say the same thing myself, Swift gets less ball than Grace. We had a spell where Swift and Owen were doing 20 carries in a match most of those were acting as a prop forward. Also the kicks to the corners are getting picked up by Percival or Morgan. If Long was today I think we would have seen some long cut out passes and chips over the defensive line. Eden has been getting a lot of early ball and passes cutting back inside, we just don't play like that at the moment.

In The South Stand

As good as Taia and Percival have been at times, they are both very selfish players who make horrible decisions at times. I think with Percival it's because he's thick, young and naive, but Taia for me has to do better. He's getting involved, putting himself about particularly defensively which we really need, but with the ball he's not making the right choices often enough. There were a few times against Wigan where the right pass would have had us away down the left and they blew it every time.

Regan Grace has been superb so far I think. I can only really think of one mistake against Warrington that wasn't forced by the opposition. His mistake against Wigan, like a few before were because he got absolutely smashed in the tackle, he seems pretty solid in the air. He's miles better than Swift on the other wing who makes 2-3 errors a game consistently.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    As good as Taia and Percival have been at times, they are both very selfish players who make horrible decisions at times. I think with Percival it's because he's thick, young and naive, but Taia for me has to do better. He's getting involved, putting himself about particularly defensively which we really need, but with the ball he's not making the right choices often enough. There were a few times against Wigan where the right pass would have had us away down the left and they blew it every time.

Regan Grace has been superb so far I think. I can only really think of one mistake against Warrington that wasn't forced by the opposition. His mistake against Wigan, like a few before were because he got absolutely smashed in the tackle, he seems pretty solid in the air. He's miles better than Swift on the other wing who makes 2-3 errors a game consistently.
    I can assure you he is not thick at all, Matty Smith saying that on Thursday was a joke, Grace is very raw, he has had one brilliant game, the rest he has been inconsistent,but that is what you get with young players teams are targeting him because they believe he is vulnerable under the high ball,it always makes me laugh how some players can get away with things, whilst others are hammered for the slightest mistake.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by davew View Post
    I can assure you he is not thick at all, Matty Smith saying that on Thursday was a joke, Grace is very raw, he has had one brilliant game, the rest he has been inconsistent,but that is what you get with young players teams are targeting him because they believe he is vulnerable under the high ball,it always makes me laugh how some players can get away with things, whilst others are hammered for the slightest mistake.
    I was referring to the Smith joke with that comment, not being serious. Some players can get away with things because they also do positive things or they have positive capabilities. Grace is one of those, he's made fewer mistakes than Swift and almost all of the have been under real pressure. You've got to give kids in their first and second seasons time with things like that, to try and develop their confidence. He's still very much in that camp, Grace has shown such promise despite being starved of any sort of ball to show of his pace with. His finishes at Wigan, against Cas, and at Magic were all superb. He has immense potential and for me he needs to be given gametime and the chance to work through any mistakes he makes. He can be taken out of the firing line if he really struggles, but looking at him so far I don't think he will.

Swift just doesn't have that excuse anymore. He's 24 and in his fifth full season in the first team. The problem with him is that he's never had any real competition as Cunningham wouldn't pick anyone from the academy. He just hasn't developed at all and if anything probably makes more errors now than he did when he first came into the team. That on Thursday wasn't a dropped ball or being beaten in the air, it was horrendous and inexcusable. Swift IMO has got the rest of this season to drastically improve or there is no way Holbrook will keep him in the side.

Banned

I think Percival, though brilliant, is guilty of using the threat of Grace on his outside as a foil to try to create space for himself. It's understandable as he's become one of our chief go-to players and there's pressure on him undoubtedly. It's just that if he can get more quality ball to grace then the team will benefit and there'll be less pressure on Percival himself.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    As far as I can see over the last 5 games Grace has had exactly two passes given to him in any sort of attacking field position. Both passes were against Hull near the end of the game. In both cases he turned them into tries. One of those was no given either with a nice inside side step to get through. So... why is he getting so little ball? Is this a coaching instruction because he's still young and raw? Is it just because opposition teams see him as such a danger that it is now leaving room for Percival and Taia to take their chances without passes out to the wing?

Just feel he deserves more passes, Running that ball in on the first or second tackle will just wear him out and knock all the enthusiasm and spirit out of him without some of the exciting stuff to play.
    So how exactly is he under pressure?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I think Percival, though brilliant, is guilty of using the threat of Grace on his outside as a foil to try to create space for himself. It's understandable as he's become one of our chief go-to players and there's pressure on him undoubtedly. It's just that if he can get more quality ball to grace then the team will benefit and there'll be less pressure on Percival himself.
    I,m sure once the pair get a better understanding of each other it will be a great partnership, when this happens the opposition will have no option to load up on that side which will free up the opportunity to switch play to the other side with space.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

I'm not sure that Percival is using Grace as a foil as much as the fact that he just doesn't look who is outside him. Agree with the rest of what you say.

Just signed a new contract with Saints.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Just signed a new contract with Saints.
    Brilliant news.

Obviously has pace to burn, but he's shown he's no show pony and is willing to throw everything into the tough stuff.

Got A Replica Shirt

Newlove was exactly the same with Sullivan but that is a sign of a brilliant centre

Quote Originally Posted by kimmysaint View Post
    Newlove was exactly the same with Sullivan but that is a sign of a brilliant centre
    To be fair to Newlove, he put Sullivan in for a truckload of tries, often when he could probably have scored himself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kimmysaint View Post
    The sign of a truly brilliant centre is knowing when to pass & when to go yourself. By mixing it up effectively, it keeps doubt in the mind of the defenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    To be fair to Newlove, he put Sullivan in for a truckload of tries, often when he could probably have scored himself.
    Came across this last week, pretty much all five were put on a plate for him by Newlove. Decent scrap in there too.

https://youtu.be/LD3Tcpscmbc

Got A Season Ticket Billinge Bren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WA10 View Post
    Came across this last week, pretty much all five were put on a plate for him by Newlove. Decent scrap in there too.

https://youtu.be/LD3Tcpscmbc
    Thanks for this wa10. I was living in London at the time and had adopted London Broncos watching them every week. Great to see these tries again. I dropped my wallet on the training ground and Mike Gregory picked it up and gave it me back.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk