Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Default FTBP - Magic Weekend Aftermath

http://www.redvee.net/ftbp-aftermath-of-magic/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@RedveeDotNet

Good read.
    My issue with the MW has always been from a fans point of view the atmosphere is strange due to so many fans from different clubs being around when the game involving your club has others around you not bothered. So you get 'other' fans either getting up every two minutes going for drinks and food, or just not watching the games and not contributing to a game feel. I go, but always come away feeling it was just a bit of a pain trying to watch a game of rugby. For what it's worth I turn up for our game and leave after. This is just my point of view and I get others go for various reasons, with the least reason being the games themselves.
    As an event I guess it works for the RFL and their perceived promotion of the game. Although I doubt RL has grown at all due to the MW. It is just an stand alone event.
    Re picking who plays who is a difficult one. I doubt the RFL will ever go for it being used as a 'normal round' of fixtures. Any idea would be have its flaws re fairness. For me I would do it like a cup draw every year. All teams go in a hat (or stupid glass bowl) and you pick who plays who. As a venue Newcastle is good due to being in a city. If it continues then it should stay there. I hope it does not go to Liverpool as the ground is in a stupid location and the seating is shockingly cramped as is Old Trafford. Ok for a one game but not for a two day event. It wil boil down to money and who is going to pay the RFL for the privilege.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

If you put all the names in the hat then the resultant fixtures may not give them the 'big' games that they like to end each day.

Noooobie

Hello, long time lurker first time poster!

With regards to Liverpool, in a few years Everton's new ground will hopefully be complete, would this possibly be more of an option than Anfield? Current estimates of about 50/60k capacity, in an excellent location. I've never been to a magic weekend, it's always clashed with exams or other events but having something a bit closer would be more convenient. I think it would also be good for some of the Yorkshire clubs, a bit of a different venue for them. Just my 2 pence

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

For me, Anfield and Goodison Park are a little too far away from the city centre

Banned

Always had a soft spot for Cardiff, personally

Banned

The RFL are looking very strongly I believe at Coventry. Wasps are courting us at present with a strap line of we will help to promote Coventry Bears if you play ball. The game has had for magic 32000 fans for each day which does not sound a lot but the majority don't half eat and drink whilst in the stadium which makes it an attractive gig. Personally Coventry may just kill the concept in my opinion.

Everton with a 40 000 capacity would be quite a good shout atmosphere wise and you would get fans wanting to make a couple of days of it. Bill Kenwright could even put the entertainment on.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Furlongs View Post

Everton with a 40 000 capacity would be quite a good shout ...
    But not city centre

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    But not city centre
    But the new stadium would be much closer to city centre

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Always had a soft spot for Cardiff, personally
    Me too. The 2004 cup final and 2007 MM weekend were both awesome. I like how the stadium is more or less in the city centre with plenty shops, bookies, pubs, eateries etc within walking distance. Ive never seen us lose their either so that helps, haha.
    Last edited by fishy3005; 28th May 2017 at 16:35.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Goodison is a a massive no for the exact same reasons as Anfield should be - too far from the City Centre and in a busy residential area.

When Everton's new stadium is built in a few years at Bramley Moore Dock, that will be a more viable option. I was lucky enough to spend a couple of hours drinking with the American architect of the new stadium, who told me it's going to be in the high 50's, with stands close to the pitch to retain atmosphere - and that it'll be an iconic bespoke stadium.

It'll be on the Waterfront and about a ten minute walk from the City Centre, with plenty of transport links. One for the future possibly

@RedveeDotNet

Noooobie

Absolutely right, goodison and anfield are both just not feasible right now but I hope for bramley Moore in the future!

From your description that sounds ideal and exactly what the fans want! I hope that is what materialises and I will look forward to going, both for the blues and maybe for the saints at some point!

I'd like to have been in on that conversation myself, not a huge fan of the football but my girlfriend is, I enjoy the football like she enjoys rugby, go the odd game and keep up to date!

In The South Stand

Everton's new stadium would be an excellent choice, being in a great location and it will have all the mod cons of a new build. Makes huge sense. I also like Cardiff. The Challenge Cup finals there were brilliant.