Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swift

Banned

Default Swift

Moving on from a great win last night and all the positivity, yet again I have to ask why on earth did we give Swift a new contract absolutely horrendous player who makes some of the worst mistakes I've seen. Last night it didn't matter in the end but how many match changing mistakes does he have to make before people realise how bad he is. I've never seen someone so uncomfortable under the high ball and incapable of making a one-on-one tackle. Surely it can't just be me who thinks he's garbage, but I was surprised at the fairly positive reaction to his new deal.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saints4782 View Post
    Moving on from a great win last night and all the positivity, yet again I have to ask why on earth did we give Swift a new contract absolutely horrendous player who makes some of the worst mistakes I've seen. Last night it didn't matter in the end but how many match changing mistakes does he have to make before people realise how bad he is. I've never seen someone so uncomfortable under the high ball and incapable of making a one-on-one tackle. Surely it can't just be me who thinks he's garbage, but I was surprised at the fairly positive reaction to his new deal.
    He was very poor last night - horrendous blunder trying to deal with the George Williams grubber kick. Surely his time will be up once Barba arrives and goes full back, as Makinson will go back to right wing and Grace will stay on the left.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Grace also made errors, as did Walmsley.

Got A Replica Shirt

ÍDid Adam Swift do anything right last night?
    It's so easy to point out a couple of errors that were made rather than praise some of the good things he does.
    When did you last complete a perfect day at work? .

Got A Season Ticket

I have never rated Swift either. It has been said many times on this forum that we should expect mistakes from Grace because he is young and inexperienced and mistakes should not result in him losing his place. Grace needs permanent game time in order to achieve his potential. Swift is not a novice and he has failed to remove the frailties from his game. I doubt he ever will now and he will continue to cost us. Added to that, Swift is not particularly fast whereas Grace is a genuine speedster and to be honest we don't have that much real pace in the squad.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

He just had a quiet game, his match stats was more or less identical to Regan Grace, both making just one error but with Swift resulting in a try for the Goons. He's got pretty good footwork but his brain/hand coordination goes AWOL on the odd occasion, the dealing of the grubber kick he should have booted it into the crowd before the bounce went away from him.

Got A Season Ticket

I don't expect any player to be perfect, but Swift has been poor for weeks now.

Every player can have a poor game. The difference with Swift for me is that he has one of those errors in him on an all too regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Is he the new Meli????

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Les Mk2 View Post
    Added to that, Swift is not particularly fast
    Without naming who told me, it's a fact that Swift is the fastest player in the squad. The team do speed tests during pre season and he was the quickest.

The problem is, these days the only ball he gets are from runs from dummy half off his own try line.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by softly softly View Post
    ÍDid Adam Swift do anything right last night?
    It's so easy to point out a couple of errors that were made rather than praise some of the good things he does.
    When did you last complete a perfect day at work? .
    Thing is it's hard to praise the good things he does when he does very little of the kind. He's been crap for weeks and the amount of points we have conceded as a result of his mistakes is rising quickly. Whilst a lot of players have been poor for me he's been one of the worst. Weak, indecisive and pretty stupid at times.

Learning All The Songs yogi bear's Avatar

No way in my opinion would Swift scored Regan Grace's 2nd try at Magic - both have an error in their game but I'd say already Grace has shown he's a better finisher and hopefully being far less experienced he will learn and cut down his errors.

Swift on the other hand has been the same for 3 or 4 years and doesn't seem to have learned. Quite happy to have him as 3rd choice as I'd imagine his new deal won't be what you'd call massive.

Starting A Programme Collection craigo12's Avatar

When Barba comes in at fullback I think Makinson rightfully takes his place back on the wing. When you look at Swift and Grace bringing similar stats to each match, then Grace wins it for me. He will improve where I think Swift is at his potential currently. There will be competition for a place between them both, but on recent showings and knowing Grace is still new to the squad, he takes the starting spot until proven otherwise.
    "When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro."

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

I'm not suggesting by the way that he is a top winger, but I think actually the last few weeks his running the ball back on kick returns and that second winger run from dummy half have improved.
    He used to scoot from dummy half and run to close to the ruck and get dragged down in almost the same spot as the previous tackle. He seems to be taking it a bit wider now and consequently is making more yards. His fumbles are becoming a bit too regular, but I'm loathed to single anyone out for a fumble or dropped ball when others did the same. If Walmsley had not thrown the ball away that kick would never have occurred, if we are going to call out one error we need to call them all out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by craigo12 View Post
    When Barba comes in at fullback I think Makinson rightfully takes his place back on the wing. When you look at Swift and Grace bringing similar stats to each match, then Grace wins it for me. He will improve where I think Swift is at his potential currently. There will be competition for a place between them both, but on recent showings and knowing Grace is still new to the squad, he takes the starting spot until proven otherwise.
    Its a nice position to be in really, all three are not really similar style and there isn't a big drop off in quality, when we had Owen and his limitations then it was problematic.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Surveyor View Post
    I don't expect any player to be perfect, but Swift has been poor for weeks now.
    I have taken stick on here for the past two years for wanting to give him the boot. Any player of his experience should have long since ironed out the continuous stupid mistakes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by craigo12 View Post
    Grace wins it for me. He will improve where I think Swift is at his potential currently.
    Like you say, Swift is at his ceiling, whereas Grace has the potential to be brilliant.

This isn't to say Swift isn't a decent player, because he is, and those calling him 'crap' are wrong. He's a mid-ranking SL winger. Yes, his 'Abu Hamza' handling ability drives us mad, but there's worse options out there. I think we can all agree on competition for places being a big positive. Just a pity there isn't a proper reserve league.

Gives a try away to the opposition almost every game

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Gives a try away to the opposition almost every game
    Extremely harsh. Swift often gets blamed for stuff that isn't his fault.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Extremely harsh. Swift often gets blamed for stuff that isn't his fault.
    Like what?

Like what?
    Usually when he's the last man in a two or three on one that's been created further infield.

Got A Season Ticket

I love how people pick a player out, say he's useless, should drop him then move onto another player. Guess it's Swift's turn.

I really rate him. Excellent footwork, speed (baffled that people don't think he's fast), scores plenty of tries. It's been mentioned but I think he burns a lot of fuel running the ball out of the 20 and getting crunched every set of six. At the moment I'd pick him over Grace.

Starting A Programme Collection craigo12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twentyman View Post
    I love how people pick a player out, say he's useless, should drop him then move onto another player. Guess it's Swift's turn.

I really rate him. Excellent footwork, speed (baffled that people don't think he's fast), scores plenty of tries. It's been mentioned but I think he burns a lot of fuel running the ball out of the 20 and getting crunched every set of six. At the moment I'd pick him over Grace.
    Not useless, but also not at the top of the pecking order. Brilliant position to finally be in, competition in the backs. Recently we have chastised players and called for a new signing for their position. Now we are asking for a current player to take place of them. One step forward!!
    "When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Twentyman View Post

If you consider 6 tries in 15 games to be 'plenty of tries' for a winger then I'm very worried. Grace has one less and has played 7 less games so if you'd prefer him to grace then you must be on the windup.

In The South Stand

If you consider 6 tries in 15 games to be 'plenty of tries' for a winger then I'm very worried. Grace has one less and has played 7 less games so if you'd prefer him to grace then you must be on the windup.
    He has also had to change sides of the field and gets far less ball so its hardly his fault is it ?