Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phil Bentham....an apology

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Default Phil Bentham....an apology

He has sent it to Shaun Wane.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    He has sent it to Shaun Wane.
    Ha ha. Tried his very best didn't he?

What a clown that guy is

Just had an interesting conversation with a professional coach though. He agrees that the try should have been given but also by the letter of the law, Percival's try could have been disallowed. Apparently the receiving team (in this case Tierney) once he has jumped for the ball, shouldn't be touched. Bentham went around all the clubs pre-season to explain this. That's why Cummings said what he did because he was being a pedant and following the rules to the letter. No one agrees with it, just pointing out some context.

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Just had an interesting conversation with a professional coach though. He agrees that the try should have been given but also by the letter of the law, Percival's try could have been disallowed. Apparently the receiving team (in this case Tierney) once he has jumped for the ball, shouldn't be touched. Bentham went around all the clubs pre-season to explain this. That's why Cummings said what he did because he was being a pedant and following the rules to the letter. No one agrees with it, just pointing out some context.
    It was more O'Loughlin's continual high shots that were missed time after time

Have to laugh when one incident comes under scrutiny. If Bentham had applied the letter of the law appropriately throughout the game and penalised Wigan as he ought to have, Saints would have had the game won long before Percival went over. He allowed Wigan to play the game they needed to in order to compete and denied Saints the opportunity to profit from Wigan's lack of discipline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Default Phil Bentham....an apology

If that's the case, its virtually impossible for the attacking team to compete for the ball whilst it's in the air. 2 players jumping for a ball, it's almost certain there'll be contact

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

When did it become illegal to challenge or contest a high ball then?

And did they tell anyone about it?
    RHINO balls are like Bon Jovi albums - Slippery When Wet

ST HELENS RFC - Back in business, Thank you Justin Holbrook.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    If that's the case, its virtually impossible for the attacking team to compete for the ball whilst it's in the air. 2 players jumping for a ball, it's almost certain there'll be contact

That's exactly what the coaches said. I didn't say they agreed just pointing out the law.

Got A Season Ticket

Whilst I accept what is said. If I was being pedantic and refereed to the rules then there would very rarely be a legitimate point scored in RL.
    My point being when was the last time that a player regained his feet and placed the ball on the floor and played said ball with his foot?

Funny how because 2 men IMO legitimately contested a ball and one got the better of the other whilst brushing him in the air it should've resulted in the try being disallowed according to Cummings & because it was against Wigan

Quote Originally Posted by Oldham_Saint View Post
    When did it become illegal to challenge or contest a high ball then?

And did they tell anyone about it?
    Yes. Bentham went round all the clubs as I said in my earlier post. It's a stupid rule that no one enforces or agrees with. Am just saying I now understand why Cummings said what he did.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Tackling someone in the air i agree with, pushing them before they jump for the ball, fair enough. The purpose of the rule is to protect the defending player from being hit and spun into a dangerous position, similar to a spear tackle.

Two players jumping and contesting for the ball, there is bound to be some contact. Again, common sense has to prevail and benefit of the doubt to the attacking side.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Tackling someone in the air i agree with, pushing them before they jump for the ball, fair enough. The purpose of the rule is to protect the defending player from being hit and spun into a dangerous position, similar to a spear tackle.

Two players jumping and contesting for the ball, there is bound to be some contact. Again, common sense has to prevail and benefit of the doubt to the attacking side.
    Mate I agree with you and so do the coaches. I am simply pointing out that by interpretation of the rules and law, Cummings was also right with what he said.

The other point is that we as fans don't know the rules fully. Bar Walmsley, most of our forwards and outside backs drop to the ground on contact looking for a quick play the ball. It's practically a surrender type of tackle. They are coached to do that. Because of that the ref goes through his calls of "move" "stand" etc and it basically gives the defending team much longer to hold down and slow the ruck down. They can't do that when someone tries to make metres after contact because they have to wrestle said player to the floor. It's hard to explain on here and I'm not articulating myself well but Wigan are very clever with it. They know this and they utilise it time and again against us.

James Childs would have caned Wigan last night but every referee is different. Wigan knew what they could get away with last night.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

The other point is that we as fans don't know the rules fully. Bar Walmsley, most of our forwards and outside backs drop to the ground on contact looking for a quick play the ball. It's practically a surrender type of tackle. They are coached to do that. Because of that the ref goes through his calls of "move" "stand" etc and it basically gives the defending team much longer to hold down and slow the ruck down. They can't do that when someone tries to make metres after contact because they have to wrestle said player to the floor. It's hard to explain on here and I'm not articulating myself well but Wigan are very clever with it. They know this and they utilise it time and again against us.

James Childs would have caned Wigan last night but every referee is different. Wigan knew what they could get away with last night.
    I agree entirely. I posted the exact same on the Adam Walker thread:

http://www.redvee.net/forums/showthr...ker-Gone/page3

I agree entirely. I posted the exact same on the Adam Walker thread:

http://www.redvee.net/forums/showthr...ker-Gone/page3
    Thank God someone understands what I mean

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Glad common sense did prevail. Anyone that has played should agree with your post.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

You're right in the ruling but I thought we went away from that slightly last night which is what I found frustrating. I don't normally say to much about it for that reason but I thought we countered it the last 2/3 times we've come up against them. We played slightly differently last night and deserved a couple more penalties than we got IMO. Obviously not easy to tell from behind the West Stand but that was my initial reaction to that.

Nothing wrong with the try as you say, he was intentionally going for the ball all the way. It's a fine line but Percy for the right side of it for me.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Funny how the rules or interpretations change over the years. I remember Steve Hampson getting dinged for raising his knees as he jumped to defuse a kick while playing for GB v Aus.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Just to add, I thought he was poor both ways to be honest. Couple of dubious calls against them in the second half as well for me but it is what it is.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Just to add, I thought he was poor both ways to be honest. Couple of dubious calls against them in the second half as well for me but it is what it is.
    There were a couple of knock-on decisions that wrongly went our way, and I'm sure the piescum fans will harp on about this.

There were other decisions that went against us, like a blatant pie hand knocking the ball out of the grounded Saints player's (Amor?) hand and them getting a knock on. And I can think of 2 or 3 genuine high tackles from them that went unpunished.

But the biggest issue, and one which had a much, much bigger bearing on the entire match, was his persistent allowing of the pies to not only stand offside, but start charging out at us before the ball had been played, and letting them slow the PTB to a farcical level.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    There were a couple of knock-on decisions that wrongly went our way, and I'm sure the piescum fans will harp on about this.

There were other decisions that went against us, like a blatant pie hand knocking the ball out of the grounded Saints player's (Amor?) hand and them getting a knock on. And I can think of 2 or 3 genuine high tackles from them that went unpunished.

But the biggest issue, and one which had a much, much bigger bearing on the entire match, was his persistent allowing of the pies to not only stand offside, but start charging out at us before the ball had been played, and letting them slow the PTB to a farcical level.
    Can't remember which Goon player it was, but it was the end of our last set and it was a deep pass to Smith but it nearly got intercepted by a player who was about 5 metres off side. Bentham must have had sweat in his eyes to miss that one or it was one of the statuary Gimmy's for Wane.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Bloo** he** it was only a joke !! lol
    Learned comment from The Don

Banned

Correct and it's this type of coaching which has ruined Richards. It's called a dominant tackle I believe and the refs give you more time to get off the player.

In The South Stand

Phil Bentham ................an apology for a ref (bit like Ben Thaler really!

In The South Stand

It is impossible for Percy to have had less of an interest in the man. His head was in the sky constantly, no intention at all to play the man. None.

Cummins lost the plot.