Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adam Walker Gone

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The King is Dead View Post
    Few bits of deadwood in the squad. I'm not convinced Walker was the worst, or that he was given a proper chance, but it was doubtless easier to get a taker for him than the very definition of average - Tommy Lee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Castleford carry a few Mr Average's but surrounded by creativity and endeavour they up their game and put in consistent performances. Tommy Lee could still do a decent job if the pack keep performing like they have these past 2 games.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by danb24195 View Post
    Can understand the point you are making in regards to the salary cap but I don't see Richards getting any better, he's shown no progression to date in my opinion. It's not as if he has a couple of good games and you think there's potential there. Game in and game out as soon as contact is made he goes down, it's​ like he doesn't try to make yards. I hope I'm proven wrong and Holbrook can get something out of him but I just don't see it.
    When people make the argument for young props being given more time to develop, it's normally on the basis that their physiques need to build, but they have that base dynamism.

With Richards, he has the physicality, but utterly lacks the dynamism and has no speed. Compare him to Thomson, who hurls himself at defenders and doesn't lack speed for a pretty big lad. You think that as his body develops, he may drop some speed but that'd be more than countered by additional strength and experience.

Richards simply will not get that initial burst of speed & condensed power.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Maybe its just me but I genuinely think the problem with Richards is down to coaching. Having been involved in the junior set up, i know that there is a very big emphasis placed on finding the floor after contact in an effort to gain a quick play the ball. I think this was a legacy from Daniel Anderson. Richards has clearly had this drilled into him from a young age and it is second nature that he now hits the line and drops like a sack of s***. He does it because that is what hes been coached to do.

The NRL have now moved on from this and place a big emphasis on "metres after contact" which is a stat that Fox often flash up on the screen for certain players. This tactic is a shift from the previous philosophy and is likely to find its way back into superleague before too long. Hopefully Holbrook will ask his team to play this way and will hopefully work with Richards to eradicate his lack of effort at the line. I much prefer forwards who run to bust (like Walmsley) than forwards that are used primarily to just set up some field position and to try to get a quick play the ball. IMO, you need to get your nose through the line in todays game in order to leave markers on the floor, not fall at their feet.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Maybe its just me but I genuinely think the problem with Richards is down to coaching. Having been involved in the junior set up, i know that there is a very big emphasis placed on finding the floor after contact in an effort to gain a quick play the ball. I think this was a legacy from Daniel Anderson. Richards has clearly had this drilled into him from a young age and it is second nature that he now hits the line and drops like a sack of s***. He does it because that is what hes been coached to do.

The NRL have now moved on from this and place a big emphasis on "metres after contact" which is a stat that Fox often flash up on the screen for certain players. This tactic is a shift from the previous philosophy and is likely to find its way back into superleague before too long. Hopefully Holbrook will ask his team to play this way and will hopefully work with Richards to eradicate his lack of effort at the line. I much prefer forwards who run to bust (like Walmsley) than forwards that are used primarily to just set up some field position and to try to get a quick play the ball. IMO, you need to get your nose through the line in todays game in order to leave markers on the floor, not fall at their feet.
    Fully agree. It used to be a "Knees and elbows" mantra, allowing forwards to get up and play the ball quickly to try to get a soot from dummy half. Those days are now gone as teams defend so well and simply dominate the tackle, leaving the ball carrier as the last to get up. The best option now for a quick play the ball is to break the line and try to play the ball before the tacklers are fully set.

The game is being killed by the constant acceptance by officials to allow the slowing down at the play the ball.

Banned

Agree with all that. But can you ever see Richards having the dynamism to smash into the opposition defensive line to get over the advantage line?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    All this hate for Tommy Lee (probably justified) but Roby is not much better. Robys service out of acting half is nothing short of shocking. Slow, predictable and turns over cheap possession. But we can't say that because he's been a great servant who came through the academy.
    Roby's game has been destroyed by the game allowing slow play the ball with the prolonged holding down tactics introduced by Wigan several seasons ago. He was superb against Hull when allowed to get a roll on.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I think most people would take Walker over Richards but in a tightly salary capped sport I'm not surprised Walker has been the one to make way. I might be in the minority but I'm glad we're keeping Richards. He's a big unit and if he ever learns to run his weight we could have a good prop on our hands. Still only 21 remember even though it feels like he's been around a long time. Props don't usually mature until mid 20's so a player worth sticking with.
    Richards on 20 grand or so, rarely misses a tacked, or Frank Paul Pudding on 100 grand plus - take your pick!. Excellent bit of business by our board missing out on that particular superstar

Learning All The Songs

All this hate for Tommy Lee (probably justified) but Roby is not much better. Robys service out of acting half is nothing short of shocking. Slow, predictable and turns over cheap possession. But we can't say that because he's been a great servant who came through the academy.
    l
    James Roby is not much better than Tommy Lee??? Have you just said that??

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    l
    James Roby is not much better than Tommy Lee??? Have you just said that??
    I may have been a bit harsh last night but i stand by the gist of what i posted. The Roby of 7 years ago was a million times the player Tommy Lee is. But in recent years his threats from acting half back have massively reduced and his ball distribution is very poor, but nobody ever says it because he's James Roby. And it wasn't just last night. Its happened plenty times. We will be in a tight close game and Roby will turn over tons of cheap ball in good attacking positions with dumb plays. He scoots out and throws suicide passes to runners right at the line, or chips the ball through on the 3rd tackle, or misses blatant over laps on one side of the field and runs the ball the opposite side. Im sorry, but its true.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Im not picking on Roby. He's carried this team plenty over the years, been a great servant and even on a bad day makes 40-50 tackles. Im just pointing out his flaws.

You may be right but Luke Thompson was reared under the same coaching regime and rarely does he not try to run through the tackler.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    You may be right but Luke Thompson was reared under the same coaching regime and rarely does he not try to run through the tackler.
    True mate.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

As well as being more effective in terms of metres gained, IMO it's also better to watch players trying to break the tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    As well as being more effective in terms of metres gained, IMO it's also better to watch players trying to break the tackle.
    Not just in full contact, Ive played a bit of competitive tag rugby too, which murders your lungs. There is nothing worse than someone taking an extra 4 or 5 meters after they have been tagged because they cant stop their momentum. Over 80 mins that takes its toll on the defensive line.

Learning All The Songs

True mate.
    Richards is the quickest in the squad ..................... at hitting the deck!

In The South Stand

Don't think it's hate Fishy, just think most people recognised Lee wouldn't cut it at Saints and are being proved right. That dummy he bought last night........................

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Don't think it's hate Fishy, just think most people recognised Lee wouldn't cut it at Saints and are being proved right. That dummy he bought last night........................
    Perhaps he isn't good enough for the club mate. The mentality of some of our fans winds me up a bit. Some players get called rotten then more favoured players have shocking games and it doesn't get mentioned. If Tommy Lee made the mistakes Roby did last night our fans would want him in stocks outside the town hall.

Learning All The Songs

I may have been a bit harsh last night but i stand by the gist of what i posted. The Roby of 7 years ago was a million times the player Tommy Lee is. But in recent years his threats from acting half back have massively reduced and his ball distribution is very poor, but nobody ever says it because he's James Roby. And it wasn't just last night. Its happened plenty times. We will be in a tight close game and Roby will turn over tons of cheap ball in good attacking positions with dumb plays. He scoots out and throws suicide passes to runners right at the line, or chips the ball through on the 3rd tackle, or misses blatant over laps on one side of the field and runs the ball the opposite side. Im sorry, but its true.
    Mmmm not sure I agree mate. I could count the bad games Roby's had for us on one hand and could count the games Tommy Lee has been excellent in throughout his career on the other.

Banned

If Tommy Lee made the mistakes Roby did last night our fans would want him in stocks outside the town hall.
    If Tommy Lee had the years of top class performances that Roby's got under his belt, he'd not be being criticised so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    If Tommy Lee had the years of top class performances that Roby's got under his belt, he'd not be being criticised so much.
    Tommy Lee can't help that though. So that means Roby should get away with poor games and not have a bad word said about him, or his flaws pointed out, because he's been a good servant to the club over the years?

Banned

So that means Roby should get away with poor games and not have a bad word said about him, or his flaws pointed out, because he's been a good servant to the club over the years?

Not at all - but when people see Roby make a mistake or have a poor game, they know he's capable of much better because they've witnessed it. With Lee, we've never seen anything approaching even 'good', so believe he cannot be 'good' and therefore shouldn't be at the club.