Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 19 man Squad v Hull

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    So why did you put him in your initial team and have just taken him out?
    Think they call it lack of sleep pal. Actually had a discussion about him last night because I saw he'd played and Ashworth started as well. Not sure what good playing against Keightly reserves is doing any of them really.

We look an impact prop short to me. Harder to balance that bench up than it should be.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Am I the only one that finds it more than coincidental that Holbrook's arrival is at the same time as the announcement of Rolf Harris's release. If my suspicions are correct, the kids in Saints team should hope that they get no more than a kick up the ......
    Bit sick that mate I'll be honest.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SAINTS2411 View Post
    Stay at home YG and see if you are the jinx
    Haha no chance. Hotel is paid for and a beer tokens saved up. Our performance last year didn't stop me enjoying myself and I won't let it this year either
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs yogi bear's Avatar

Whilst I've been quite disappointed with what little we've seen from Walker he should be in before Richards - many on here defend him because of his age but he is a total non-entity, the epitome of a waste of a shirt. I'd even go as far to say Peyroux should be in before him.

All the talk that JH has asked for the same squad says to me he wants to see who's got a backbone to show a response, hopefully he will quickly root out those that don't shape up - there will be a few.

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I'd have liked Walker in the squad. If it were me in charge i'd give Swift a run at centre with Morgan his winger. I have no faith in Morgans defence at centre.
    I have no faith in Swift full stop

Quote Originally Posted by yogi bear View Post
    Whilst I've been quite disappointed with what little we've seen from Walker he should be in before Richards - many on here defend him because of his age but he is a total non-entity, the epitome of a waste of a shirt. I'd even go as far to say Peyroux should be in before him.

All the talk that JH has asked for the same squad says to me he wants to see who's got a backbone to show a response, hopefully he will quickly root out those that don't shape up - there will be a few.

That's a good point. He'll have plenty to root out though I suspect. Can't say anything but another pasting on Saturday

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Ha ha. Thats a fair comment.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

"Adam Hamza"

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I'd have liked Walker in the squad. If it were me in charge i'd give Swift a run at centre with Morgan his winger. I have no faith in Morgans defence at centre.
    Just been watching videos of Albert Kelly . How come Hull sign him , & we sign Morgan .

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Just been watching videos of Albert Kelly . How come Hull sign him , & we sign Morgan .
    Because Albert Kelly is a halfback and Ryan Morgan is a centre?

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    So after one of the worst performances of the super league era not a single player loses their place? I know nobody has a large enough squad to make mass changes but that's a nonsense
    It may be that Longy and Leuisi(?) are concerned that they themselves don't want to look bad in front of the new man themselves by going all knee jerk..

Best to keep everything steady and let JH make the changes if another dross performance comes up.

It's a showpiece event and I am sure the players have been told what's at stake (places, jobs etc) and may be they have been given the opportunity to put right last weeks very very bad wrong.

I am sure they are going to be much, much better as they were at Wigan after KC went. It's getting them to back up good performances and so actually show progress and improvement that is proving difficult.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I think we have won 1 Magic game in the last 5. Just so happened to be the year 1 year I didn't go!
    Any chance you can give it a miss this year?

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

It's fairly simple game plan if you want to beat Hull. I said it yesterday but they are a physical side who look to dominate the middle and run straight through it. I swear Radford has picked Liam Watts at 13 at times this season so that's probably an indication of how they like to start. Watts, Minichello, Green, Taylor and the like will look to target our pack and we'll need to be a hell of a lot more aggressive than we were at Cas last week. Houghton and Shaul ripped us to shreds around the ruck last year so we really need to control them.

We just need to control the game and play it as deep in there half as we can. Challenge their outside backs when we have the ball. I'd be sending Taia and Percival at Albert Kelly all day long, trample all over him. We owe these one.

Honestly, I couldn't care less how we play this week as long as we win. We need 2 points desperately, end of story.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Billinge Bren View Post
    That's statement is a little contradictory .." with Justin Holbrook overseeing the side but Long and Lolesi in temporary charge". Is he here yet or managing via Skype? 😎

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Arrived today

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I'd be sending Taia and Percival at Albert Kelly all day long, trample all over him. We owe these one.
    You can try but I think you'll be making a big mistake. Kelly's defence has impressed me as much as his attack since he signed, he often makes big hits on opposition forwards which worries me but he always seems to come out okay and is the complete all round footballer. Now if you want to run at anybody, Mark Sneyd's your man. A fantastic organiser and (obviously) kicker, he really gets us round the park but he's not the biggest bloke and struggles a bit defensively.
    Really looking forward to the game and the weekend as a whole, hope you bring plenty and are vocal as your lot need the support at the mo.
    If you can just come up a bit short as regards the win, that would be great.

[QUOTE=fonsboy;697447]Just been watching videos of Albert Kelly

Nothing too explicit I hope...

I think we have won 1 Magic game in the last 5. Just so happened to be the year 1 year I didn't go!
    Likewise. In fact the only Magic I have missed since inception.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I haven't been to the magic weekend for years. im not travelling all that way and spending a fortune on tickets for all the family just so the team can turn in one of their trademark garbage performances as they so often do on the big stage when the fans have made plenty effort. 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016 all terrible performances IIRC. I don't judge anyone who does go to support them. I hope you all have an enjoyable weekend. Its not for me though.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/6933

TOMMY Makinson is set to make his 150th appearance for the club after being named in Saints' 19-man squad for Saturday's Magic Weekend fixture with Hull FC.

The 25-year-old has scored 574 points since making his debut against Salford in 2011.

He joins an unchanged 19 which will be overseen by new head coach Justin Holbrook for the first time.

Sean Long and Jamahl Lolesi remain in temporary charge of the side.

Saints will choose their 17 from:

2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Ryan Morgan, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Adam Swift, 6. Theo Fages, 7. Matty Smith, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Kyle Amor, 12. Jon Wilkin, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 14. Luke Douglas, 16. Luke Thompson, 17. Tommy Lee, 18. Dominique Peyroux, 19. Greg Richards, 20. Morgan Knowles, 28. Regan Grace, 36. Zeb Taia.
    Looking at the squads for this game, again it's difficult to see a Saints victory against a Hull outfit who have a better side quite frankly. Though that said, who knows with the new coach now on board?

It will be interesting to see what St Helens do with their bench- I notice Lee wasn't in the 17 last week, and whilst Wilkin was on the interchange, what happens if one of the halves gets injured? Goes for a HIA? Not to mention simply giving yourself another option from the bench in terms of creativity/being able to change the course of a game. Roberts made a great impact for Cas, and whilst Saints don't have anybody of his ability on their roster (certainly not Jon Wilkin or Tommy Lee) it seems, I'm surprised they haven't done anything about this.

I'm also surprised that Jack Owens is playing '6' in the reserves- What is the thinking behind this? I understand he needs to play games, but does the club not have another half at the club other than Richardson who can play at that level? That must be of concern if so.

Regards,

STEVO