Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: respect the ball

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

Default respect the ball

Longy and his brain trust coaches seem to have come up with the answer sorry pal try making tackles would be a better option after watching and spending hard earned money to see that load of dross heartless garbage that our players ha ha served up at cas.I make no apologies for being a fervant and rediculously ardent saints fan of the last 35 years , you played with heart and class and I think the latter is missing in this team but that do, s not mean they can get away with stealing a wage like they did last week my lowest time in that 35 years .If rugby league has changed were players have decided not to put everything on the line to earn the respect of the shirt they are playing in then I think my and my familys money , yes your wages will be spent elsewhere , a sad moment heartfelt.

Making tackles is a lot easier when you're not dropping the ball in your own half every other set.

Got A Season Ticket

This is exactly the problem we have gone from one extreme to the other. From grinding boring rugby to trying to play like the globetrotters (all be it at the speed of snails). As has been mentioned they have to respect the ball, play rugby at the right times and take risks at the right times. The players need to do the hard graft early doors to earn the right to be expansive (if we ever can be expansive)

Quote Originally Posted by Carlvegas7 View Post
    This is exactly the problem we have gone from one extreme to the other. From grinding boring rugby to trying to play like the globetrotters (all be it at the speed of snails). As has been mentioned they have to respect the ball, play rugby at the right times and take risks at the right times. The players need to do the hard graft early doors to earn the right to be expansive (if we ever can be expansive)
    I agree with much of that but I don't think we need to go into our shells too much. A lot of the mistakes have just been from a lack of concentration rather than playing too expansively.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I agree with much of that but I don't think we need to go into our shells too much. A lot of the mistakes have just been from a lack of concentration rather than playing too expansively.
    And some of it will be because the players simply arent used to playing that way. Im guessing we didnt do much practice in terms of expansive rugby in training for the last few years. Even if we did it will take time to convert into match situations.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carlvegas7 View Post
    The way we played the games over the Easter Weekend was promising and we should have progressed from that point.

Instead completions, composure and finally confidence nose dived to one of the lowest levels in the clubs history. Most of this is down to the players and the blasé attitude in everything they do on the pitch. Someone needs to get inside there heads, Wigoon Wane would have sorted this lot out a lot sooner.

The club are the best at highlighting and identifying problems but pretty clueless on solutions.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    The way we played the games over the Easter Weekend was promising and we should have progressed from that point.

Instead completions, composure and finally confidence nose dived to one of the lowest levels in the clubs history. Most of this is down to the players and the blasé attitude in everything they do on the pitch. Someone needs to get inside there heads, Wigoon Wane would have sorted this lot out a lot sooner.

The club are the best at highlighting and identifying problems but pretty clueless on solutions.
    Yeah, Wane would've got rid of Matty Smith.....................oh, hang on, he did, didn't he?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Making tackles is a lot easier when you're not dropping the ball in your own half every other set.
    And usually the best way of not conceding points is having the ball. I can't see what Long has said wrong here

Starting A Programme Collection greggo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    And usually the best way of not conceding points is having the ball. I can't see what Long has said wrong here
    Making tackles wins games simple

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greggo View Post
    I disagree, I once had the privilege of having a coaching session from the then All Blacks coach Wayne Smith and the very first thing he said was as long as you have the ball your opposition can't score. It might sound over simplistic but it's very true. How often do teams concede points when in possession?
    Last edited by Buddy; 19th May 2017 at 05:29.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I prefer the scoring more points than the opposition option to win games.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Which is very similar to what Cunningham said about 6 months ago , where he said the squad he had could not match and didn't have the skills to play expansive. Just the one thing that puzzles me "who put this squad together "
    P
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    I don't think we have been expansive at all really. We just have poor basick skills. It's not like forwards are offloading with two and three men in the tackle, or the halves are throwing 30 metre passes missing people out. The most expansive thing we ever do is the tedious and Wigan inspired lead dummy runner and ball out the back.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Which is very similar to what Cunningham said about 6 months ago , where he said the squad he had could not match and didn't have the skills to play expansive. Just the one thing that puzzles me "who put this squad together "
    P
    And Cunningham is now being proved correct. We may have been dull as dishwater with his coaching, but at least we didn't get tonked. Question is, do you accept the tonkings as a necessary evil on the way to playing more expansive rugby? Remember our fairly regular blow outs under Millward? Or Leeds poor start under McDermott? Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

Quote Originally Posted by greggo View Post
    Indeed. Therefore it makes sense to minimise the difficulty of the tackles you have to make. Ways of doing that include a) defending in your opponent's half rather than your own, and b) minimising the amount of defence you have to do, so that when do defend you aren't exhausted. The key to these things? Respect the ball.

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

There's an old saying in US sports, scoring wins games, defence wins championships.

Even when we got to the last 4 the last two years, I was never convinced we'd win the GF outside the proverbial punchers chance. The squad we had would have to pull out back to back defensive performances in a way that hadn't happened all year previously, and we failed at the first hurdle.
    RHINO balls are like Bon Jovi albums - Slippery When Wet

ST HELENS RFC - Back in business, Thank you Justin Holbrook.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KelCloset View Post
    And Cunningham is now being proved correct. We may have been dull as dishwater with his coaching, but at least we didn't get tonked. Question is, do you accept the tonkings as a necessary evil on the way to playing more expansive rugby? Remember our fairly regular blow outs under Millward? Or Leeds poor start under McDermott? Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.
    Not true to say we didn't get tonked under Cunnigham. Away at Salford, the cup game v Hull and Magic v Huddersfield spring to mind straight away.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS