Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rome Wasn't Built in a Day

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

It wouldn't surprise me if for the next two games we saw a largely unchanged side. After 7-10 days of watching them in the flesh in training and game time, only then will he start to make changes and really pick his own side to play in his style.

This weekend followed by the Goons on Thursday is too short a time for him I think to make changes.
    RHINO balls are like Bon Jovi albums - Slippery When Wet

ST HELENS RFC - Back in business, Thank you Justin Holbrook.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oldham_Saint View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if for the next two games we saw a largely unchanged side. After 7-10 days of watching them in the flesh in training and game time, only then will he start to make changes and really pick his own side to play in his style.

This weekend followed by the Goons on Thursday is too short a time for him I think to make changes.
    I agree he can't and probably won't change too much in terms of personnel and tactics in a short space of time. But he CAN and SHOULD be able to make a difference in terms of effort, enthusiasm, confidence, attitude,etc.

Our players look like a gang of lost puppies at the minute. They need their confidence back and they need to be playing with smiles on their faces again. I think it was Tez who said yesterday that a lot of our problems are mental at the minute and I completely agree.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

"Rome wasn't built in a day".

This is true and indeed it's took 8 or 9 years to completely dismantle Rome.

My fear is that it will take a similar amount of time to rebuild it again.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I agree he can't and probably won't change too much in terms of personnel and tactics in a short space of time. But he CAN and SHOULD be able to make a difference in terms of effort, enthusiasm, confidence, attitude,etc.

Our players look like a gang of lost puppies at the minute. They need their confidence back and they need to be playing with smiles on their faces again. I think it was Tez who said yesterday that a lot of our problems are mental at the minute and I completely agree.
    Yeah I think so too. It's a hell of a tough one. We can talk tactical all we want really but we just haven't been turning up physically. Defensively they were horrific on Saturday and they let them walk all over them. They have to keep hold of the ball better, it's ludicrous to to go away to Cas and complete in the manner they did. It cost results at Wakefield, Leigh, Hull... all season it has been an issue.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Yeah I think so too. It's a hell of a tough one. We can talk tactical all we want really but we just haven't been turning up physically. Defensively they were horrific on Saturday and they let them walk all over them. They have to keep hold of the ball better, it's ludicrous to to go away to Cas and complete in the manner they did. It cost results at Wakefield, Leigh, Hull... all season it has been an issue.
    Yes they need a far higher completion rate than what they could muster lately which I think is way below 50%. Jonathan Davies made an interesting observation on Saturday about 3/4 of the way into the game that Castleford had made 24 offloads and Saints not far off with 20 offloads, but the problem was Castleford stole 10 of Saints offloads because they were smarter and quicker thinking on an opportunist ball.

There is a lot of errors coming from Taia at the moment because he's trying to make the ball available in heavy traffic our support players are far too slow in reading the opportunity, we really need to smarten up and have more awareness when we try to open up any play.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    There is a lot of errors coming from Taia at the moment because he's trying to make the ball available in heavy traffic our support players are far too slow in reading the opportunity, we really need to smarten up and have more awareness when we try to open up any play.
    I agree. He tried to get one to Douglas last week that just wasn't on and we gifted them possession. We need to be a lot smarter; we are a very dumb team.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Rome wasnt built in a day and I think there is a saying that Nero fiddled while it burnt down.

We seem to have fiddled a bit the last few years and things have started to come crashing down.

The problem with Holbrook now is that if he does a half decent job and starts to turn the corner the NRL will be calling and he'll be gone. He might start the turn round job but either way can't see him fully delivering it.

Thats what the Etruscans said! But seriously, I believe Holbrook needs to do one thing, get us into the 8s. Then, as more learned Saints fans have said, rebuild, team, structure ect. Its like everything in life, is the gamble of at full 360 going to happen?