Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wilkin: "Lowest point in 15 years"

Noooobie

Default Wilkin: "Lowest point in 15 years"

He's not wrong but what is being done about it??

My family have literally put thousands into the club over the years in tickets and merchandise but where is this money going?? At the minute it seems its paying for Mike Rush's annual holiday to Australia and very lazy ozzy and kiwi's who Rush brings back with him. Also Rush has created a jobs for the boys culture. Wilkin is right though.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Wicked View Post
    He's not wrong but what is being done about it??

My family have literally put thousands into the club over the years in tickets and merchandise but where is this money going?? At the minute it seems its paying for Mike Rush's annual holiday to Australia and very lazy ozzy and kiwi's who Rush brings back with him. Also Rush has created a jobs for the boys culture. Wilkin is right though.
    We look like a team that is waiting for Holbrook to arrive and change the world

Learning All The Songs

The lowest point for me was when he signed his new contract

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Wilkin should do the honourable thing and give up his captaincy, Wellens was doing all the shouting whilst Wilkin was lifeless and having no composure and inspiration to the team.

Starting A Programme Collection

It makes the (LEAN YEARS) look good and I still have the book.Ask your granddads.

At least he's honest enough to say on live TV what we are all thinking

With all due respect Jon YOU are the club Captain. It's partly your responsibility given the poor attitude and application we are all witnessing.
    Last edited by Div; 14th May 2017 at 11:38.

Holbrook isn't a miracle worker. I trust Eamonn is going to give him the financial support that is needed to rebuild the squad as the lowest point in Wilkin's career is due in no small part to a distinct absence of quality throughout it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noooobie

If the players start posting pictures of themselves on holiday now during the Challenge Cup weekends they have off I think it will show once and for all how out of touch they are and they need to be shown the door. Wasnt it only either last year or a few years back when we were knocked out early and the players were posting pictures of themselves boozing in Ibiza during the Challenge Cup semi-final? If so the other teams were grafting trying to win troiphies and ours were just looking forward to weekend off. Shows their mentality. Holbrook needs to give them a kick.

Got A Season Ticket

What did Wilkin say after the game? I didn't manage to catch the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by StillInTesco View Post
    What did Wilkin say after the game? I didn't manage to catch the interview.
    As it says in the thread title, he said it was the lowest point during his career at Saints. Tanya Arnold asked what they need to do, and he basically said we've got a hell of a lot of work to do.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Wilkin should do the honourable thing and give up his captaincy, Wellens was doing all the shouting whilst Wilkin was lifeless and having no composure and inspiration to the team.
    I totally agree,as a captain he is awful. I mentioned in another thread about him yelling at theo after an error yet minutes before he threw an awful forward pass to amor.

Lowest point from last seasons pasting from Hull at home. Same old story.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket Haydock Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The King is Dead View Post
    Holbrook isn't a miracle worker. I trust Eamonn is going to give him the financial support that is needed to rebuild the squad as the lowest point in Wilkin's career is due in no small part to a distinct absence of quality throughout it.

You have to remember even with financial support it will not be that simple. You have the salary cap to work to, and then you have players already on contract. So it is not easy to have a wholesale change in players.

I am hoping Holbrook's coaching skills can improve the players we currently have who have potential, and to improve the team collectively. I think we are suffering from having Kieron Cunningham coaching us for nearly 3 years, and the long term effect this has had in terms of player declining in talent. Hopefully Holbrook can actually improve players and the team like Powell has done at Cas.

Yes there needs to be new faces, and some shipped out - but overall I would say there is talent to work with (although you may not think this today).

Quote Originally Posted by Haydock Saint View Post
    You have to remember even with financial support it will not be that simple. You have the salary cap to work to, and then you have players already on contract. So it is not easy to have a wholesale change in players.

I am hoping Holbrook's coaching skills can improve the players we currently have who have potential, and to improve the team collectively. I think we are suffering from having Kieron Cunningham coaching us for nearly 3 years, and the long term effect this has had in terms of player declining in talent. Hopefully Holbrook can actually improve players and the team like Powell has done at Cas.

Yes there needs to be new faces, and some shipped out - but overall I would say there is talent to work with (although you may not think this today).
    I agree. The team that has whooped us today is evidence that it's a coach instilling a culture that makes a big difference. The club has made some poor recruitment decisions and we have some deadwood, but first and foremost we need a culture transplant. Hopefully Holbrook being an outsider will allow him to do that.

Agreed. The biggest job for Holbrook will be changing the mindset of the club. Getting a team spirit back, which is clearly lacking. Getting players work ethic back. Getting players confidence back and making players aware of their responsibilities as players and their responsibilities towards the fans.
    Even then he has a massive job. If he succeeds he will be able to walk into any NRL team and name his price.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

I personally think it's a real big error to get Holbrook in mid season.

He is on a hiding to nothing. He will be under massive pressure to turn things round instantly and judging by the absolute dross in this squad it would be miraculous to do that.

Let's say he comes in and thinks blimey these lot are hopeless......he may go for the pragmatic approach of boring rugby to get us through to when he can makes some changes in the close season. Unfortunately by then he may have used ups lot of his currency with a thourougly fed up fan base.

Beginning of next season he will then be under massive pressure to produce. Doing it this way means he has to get these useless wasters to turn it round and let's face it, they currently don't look like they could give a toss.

It's a risky strategy.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Wilkins leadership has hit an all time low. Probably sulking since Matty Smith was given the teams chief playmaker role. Too much player power at this club i reckon.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand

I agree with Wilkin but even though he came on late he didn't seem interested I expect when the new coach comes he will be using the young players a lot because as long as we stay in the main league it will be a miracle to do better than that.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by The King is Dead View Post

Or he may just bring his wand along and we'll all start playing Quidditch?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by paulx2 View Post
    I personally think it's a real big error to get Holbrook in mid season.

He is on a hiding to nothing. He will be under massive pressure to turn things round instantly and judging by the absolute dross in this squad it would be miraculous to do that.

Let's say he comes in and thinks blimey these lot are hopeless......he may go for the pragmatic approach of boring rugby to get us through to when he can makes some changes in the close season. Unfortunately by then he may have used ups lot of his currency with a thourougly fed up fan base.

Beginning of next season he will then be under massive pressure to produce. Doing it this way means he has to get these useless wasters to turn it round and let's face it, they currently don't look like they could give a toss.

It's a risky strategy.

I don't think there was any alternative other than for him to start asap. There's no way the club can carry on like it did after Simmons got the push with temporary coaches in charge till the end if the season. We are in a complete mess and there aren't any quick fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by parrsaint View Post
    I don't think there was any alternative other than for him to start asap. There's no way the club can carry on like it did after Simmons got the push with temporary coaches in charge till the end if the season. We are in a complete mess and there aren't any quick fixes.
    But he can't really change anything. He has to work with the rubbish he has and that is a real big ask IMO.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulx2 View Post
    But he can't really change anything. He has to work with the rubbish he has and that is a real big ask IMO.

He can use the remaining games to assess the young talent to see which have the makings of first team players that he can nurture.

He can drop some of the under-performing established players to try to rid the squad of the notion that some players are undroppable no matter how crap they play (Wlkin continually getting publicly praised by Cunningham after stinking the park out for instance)

He can realise which players are totally surplus to requirements and where we need to make signings.

But if he chases one extra league position whilst picking the same failed players then I'll give up completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    He can use the remaining games to assess the young talent to see which have the makings of first team players that he can nurture.

He can drop some of the under-performing established players to try to rid the squad of the notion that some players are undroppable no matter how crap they play (Wlkin continually getting publicly praised by Cunningham after stinking the park out for instance)

He can realise which players are totally surplus to requirements and where we need to make signings.

But if he chases one extra league position whilst picking the same failed players then I'll give up completely.
    I'm not saying you're wrong but to me people including me will be looking for a big upturn in fortunes when he arrives.

Trouble is, like a few have said, what exactly can get change in terms of personell? So it's purely down to coaching.........and we expect him to come from Sydney and inherit a team steeped in the grind with very little squad depth and turn it round.

To me it's not realistic mid season. Surely he would have a better chance coming in September and having 5 months to get his philosophy across and being able to recruit new players to freshen it up.

This way he is straight into a really devisive atmosphere and he's in a bit of a no win situation. We are not going to win anything from this position no matter who comes in and so to me we are disadvantaging him before he even starts.

On the other hand, he may get a reaction and we might win six on the bounce. I really hope so. .......I really do but my worry is, what happens if we keep losing! What then? It just seems daft to bring a new coach in now when there is very little to be gained and a lot to be lost.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    With all due respect John YOU are the club Captain. It's partly your responsibility given the poor attitude and application we are all witnessing.
    Quite right. Coming on TV and telling us things we know is fine. But when the mic was on him and he and 3 of his teammates couldn't prevent McShane from scoring , he said nothing! Not a captain and that should be 1 of Holbrook's first jobs.