Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891525 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Barba

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    To be honest i never gave us even a slight chance of going for Barba, but we at least look like we're in the race.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    My thoughts exactly.
    The pessimist in me still thinks we'll get outbid but at least it looks like we are actually trying our best to get him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Shows how big a player, and how important he could be when this is the biggest talking point today!

Definite 'bums on seats' player

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Shows how big a player, and how important he could be when this is the biggest talking point today!

Indeed. He'd be definitely the biggest overseas signing since Lyon, probably since Meninga, for us.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    Indeed. He'd be definitely the biggest signing since Lyon, probably since Meninga, for us.
    100% the biggest signing for a long time and would be an enormous boost to the whole club.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saints4782 View Post
    Also went into the Saints dressing room after, doubt he would have done that if he wasn't signing.
    Hope you're right.ive asked someone who would know but he hadn't heard for definite.

Learning All The Songs

If we get Ratchford instead of Barba we need Jim Bowen to announce the deal. "Here's what you could have won".

Come on Reacher or Lex, one of you spill the beans 😁

Learning All The Songs

Come on Reacher or Lex, one of you spill the beans ��

Ive already asked one and he didnt know.

Quote Originally Posted by djdegsy View Post
    Ive already asked one and he didnt know.
    Ive just read a quote from Barba that said the announcement will be next week. Didnt say with whom obvously

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

Not saying it's a done deal but he was pitchside and in our dressing room at full time. There's something going on.
    WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF POOR BEN FLOWER?!

If Barba does sign for us, and it would be one hell of a signing, where would it leave Lomax?

Its going to take a big deal to sign Barba, so would it make the decision to allow Lomax contract to run without a renewal?

Learning All The Songs

Ive just read a quote from Barba that said the announcement will be next week. Didnt say with whom obvously

I hope so .it would be an amazing signing.
    If he does know and not saying then im going to pin him down and tickle him till he gives in.haha

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tom83 View Post
    If Barba does sign for us, and it would be one hell of a signing, where would it leave Lomax?

Its going to take a big deal to sign Barba, so would it make the decision to allow Lomax contract to run without a renewal?
    Suppose he'll offer some utility to our squad..

We're bound to pick up some injuries

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

If we do sign Barba it'll be a gamechanger of a signing and probably adds some credibility to Super League asqell. A genuine world class player he'd rip it up here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Barba will not be a long term signing so i wouldn't worry about next year

It would leave him needing to prove he's worth a new contract which is exactly where he is now. Lomax can play 1-7 and probably 9 so would add plenty to the squad.

If he signs for us, won't he still need to fulfil his 12 game suspension? That would be the 9 remaining games of Superleague and 3 of 7 Super 8 games.

So that would allow him to play the final 4 games of the Super 8's and possibly a Semi Final and Grand Final, if we were to make it that far.

Learning All The Songs

If he signs for us, won't he still need to fulfil his 12 game suspension? That would be the 9 remaining games of Superleague and 3 of 7 Super 8 games.

So that would allow him to play the final 4 games of the Super 8's and possibly a Semi Final and Grand Final, if we were to make it that far.
    Unless he has signed a 2 year deal...

In The South Stand

I doubt we'd have a chance of fitting him under the cap this season, so he couldn't start his suspension until next year. So he'd miss the first 12 games of next year?

That's my concern with this deal, I just don't see how it's logistically possible. Any side would need at least £100k of cap room this season, even as a marquee signing, and I'd be amazed if any of the decent clubs had that. If it's for next season onwards, he'd have to miss half the regular season anyway.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Whoever Barba signs for it won't just be for the remainder of the season, he will need a good full year in SL to increase the value of his stock so that he can maximise his NRL earnings. 18 month deal at least

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post

Really hope we go for him as long as in future he keeps his nose clean. But seriously, from what he said seems like he will be playing SL soon; just hope it's us.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I doubt we'd have a chance of fitting him under the cap this season, so he couldn't start his suspension until next year. So he'd miss the first 12 games of next year?

That's my concern with this deal, I just don't see how it's logistically possible. Any side would need at least £100k of cap room this season, even as a marquee signing, and I'd be amazed if any of the decent clubs had that. If it's for next season onwards, he'd have to miss half the regular season anyway.
    Or maybe the clubs looking to sign him are going to let players go to other clubs,it's getting to that time of year were clubs ( especially the teams in the lower leagues ) are looking to bolster their squads for the promotion push.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Interview with JH and Chris Price here, last 20 seconds discusses Barba.

https://audioboom.com/posts/5939428-...ource=facebook

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Newly-appointed St Helens coach Justin Holbrook, who worked with Barba at the Bulldogs when he was an assistant coach at the Bulldogs, said he would relish the opportunity to work with the 27-year-old again.

"For the Super League I think it would be great, he's such an excitable player," Holbrook said.

"I had a little bit to do with him going back six or seven years when I was coaching the Bulldogs.

"I've had a couple of chats to him; he's been frustrated with the rugby union experiment that hasn't gone as well as he would have liked, so it would be really awesome to have him come on board.

"I think for the game it would be nice to have him for a couple of years. He's obviously done a few things wrong in the past, but I think he's getting to the age now where he can be a leader and not just a player worrying about himself."
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Got A Season Ticket

I reckon Lomax will be going back to the halves. Fages to hooker with Roby which many felt where he would play when we signed him. Lee, Peyroux and Owens out to make some money for Barba. V exciting.