Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1234561222 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Barba

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I think a deal to the end of 2018 would potentially be do-able, allow him to rebuild his reputation whilst playing at a good level & getting good pay. One-season deals for marquee players used to be common & accepted amongst British RL teams (and indeed for Aus teams, too) so I have no issue with that.

Not really arsed about him taking a bit of beak. The majority of adults in the UK have taken drugs deemed by the state to be illegal. And there's a cultural acceptance - even an encouragement - to take the world's most prevalent drug: alcohol. If his 'crime' had been to, say, beat someone up in Sydney, I doubt many of the sanctimonious crew here would be against us signing him (yet in the latter case, there'd be a victim; him doing some charlie there isn't)

Not going to happen, though, so we may as well close the thread.
    Several clubs may well take a punt on him and offer a deal just to the end of the season to see how he goes with the option of a longer contract.
    Chances are he will end up at Catalans in the same way Todd Carney and Greg Bird played stints for them.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by paulx2 View Post
    Why bother anyway? We can always keep an out of position Tommy at fullback and if he goes down we have Jack Owens waiting in the wings.

An unnecessary luxury when you look at the sheer quality in our squad.
    Like it!

Quote Originally Posted by parrsaint View Post
    Several clubs may well take a punt on him and offer a deal just to the end of the season to see how he goes with the option of a longer contract.
    Chances are he will end up at Catalans in the same way Todd Carney and Greg Bird played stints for them.
    One thing that always amuses me is that these kind of players do generally end up at Catalans. And Catalans never win a bean. These players who are apparently world class and will turn Catalans into the elite team generally underachieve, get in to further bother, get injured or just look like they can't be bothered. If Barba does the same I will not hold my breath waiting for him to become MOS and will not be holding my breath waiting for Catalans to be parading the Super League trophy around Perpignan.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    The fact that the cap rules would allow it doesn't make it likely that our previously frugal decision makers would consider him affordable. You still have to find the money. I just don't see it but I'm not against it on any moral grounds. Though there is probably a debate to be had about whether a player should be able to swerve a ban by playing in another country.
    There are players in the squad that simply add no value whatsoever and can easily be replaced by youngsters we currently have in our squad. Greg Richards, Jack Owens, Dominic Peyroux and Tommy Lee are four examples. Release those players or move them on and I bet that frees up over £100k cap space. Jonny Lomax is another big earner who is out of contract and probably on a decent contract but barely plays so a decision could be made there. That's just from players on our current salary cap. We also have an increase by £100k next year and one or two (I'm guessing two) marquee spots available. The squad depth can be covered by youngsters, we have plenty of decent players like Spedding, Ashworth etc who can all fill in and do a decent job with injuries.

Years ago Saints used to spend big money on proven players like Newlove, Goulding, Sculthorpe etc and we won trophies but now we just don't compete with the bigger clubs. I'm not saying we'd sign Barba but in the past we'd be 1st in the queue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    According to the link above

""With Barba requiring to jump through so many hoops with the NRL integrity unit and is is believed that Barba may opt to join the English Super League, as they do not officially recognise NRL suspensions.""

It could put out new coach in a compromising position though.
    Yeah, I just don't pay much credence to the 5th Tackle site, is all. It's full of vague phrases like 'it is understood that' or 'is is [sic] believed that' and even at one point the following double-whammy: 'it is understood that Barba's manager Chris Orr is believed to have made contact ...'.

It just strikes me as being completely made up, so I don't have much faith in the site's grasp of international RL doping regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    There are players in the squad that simply add no value whatsoever and can easily be replaced by youngsters we currently have in our squad. Greg Richards, Jack Owens, Dominic Peyroux and Tommy Lee are four examples. Release those players or move them on and I bet that frees up over £100k cap space. Jonny Lomax is another big earner who is out of contract and probably on a decent contract but barely plays so a decision could be made there. That's just from players on our current salary cap. We also have an increase by £100k next year and one or two (I'm guessing two) marquee spots available. The squad depth can be covered by youngsters, we have plenty of decent players like Spedding, Ashworth etc who can all fill in and do a decent job with injuries.

Years ago Saints used to spend big money on proven players like Newlove, Goulding, Sculthorpe etc and we won trophies but now we just don't compete with the bigger clubs. I'm not saying we'd sign Barba but in the past we'd be 1st in the queue.
    Yep, when a player like Barba becomes available we should kicking his door down to talk to him.

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Elf View Post
    Regardless of how good he is, we shouldn't be the kind of club that tacitly approves of substance abuse. That would send completely the wrong signal to any potential players. I hope Holbrook would want to set a higher standard of off-field behaviour than that.

And let's be honest - inviting someone with drugs problems to live in St Helens would be like locking a kid in a sweet shop.
    If this is your opinion, I take it you are also vehmently opposed to the ridiculous stadium name for very similar reasons? For the record, I am.

We should be all over a player like this but he does seem like trouble and sometimes, trouble isn't always worth what you get on the pitch. I would sign him though because he would improve our backline ten fold.
    WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF POOR BEN FLOWER?!

Learning All The Songs

Seem to remember it being mentioned he supported Saints.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    There's no real argument against getting rid of the four mentioned by Blobbynator. The question is whether or not to replace them with just one player who will likely only be here for a year even if we can afford to pay him.
    If he's like Mal Meninga then yes
    But like Michael O'Connor then no

Got A Season Ticket

My pal in Oz reckoned he was THE man in the NRL. I would bring him in even if it is only until the end of the season - somebody needs to get us moving up the table and fast - the more I look at it the more nervous I get!

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Les Mk2 View Post
    My pal in Oz reckoned he was THE man in the NRL. I would bring him in even if it is only until the end of the season - somebody needs to get us moving up the table and fast - the more I look at it the more nervous I get!
    I watch a bit of NRL but not too frequent and he was outstanding for a spell, have a look at some of his tries and breaks. Seemed to get found out a bit and he ended up playing a bit in the halves didn't he as well? Presumably, we aren't in a position to bring anyone of that quality in for this season and I'd imagine he'll be wanting to play NRL asap.

Feel a bit bad talking about it to be honest because rugby a side, Lomax is genuinely a really nice lad and I hope it all turns out right for him. Hell of a good player on his day but clearly something isn't right and it's becoming knock upon knock. We haven't had a consistent full back for nearly 5 years or so and it's one of the most important attacking positions on the field - something we've all probably been guilty of forgetting in our criticism of the style of rugby and the like, maybe. It's something the club will have to handle well and a bit of give and take both ways would be ideal IMO.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Troubled yes, but an absolute world class player, up there with your Slater, Boyd and RTS. Would be the best FB in SL by miles if he came.
    Given our problem with keeping Lomax fit I'd take a chance on Barba. Him, Makinson, Grace and Percy would give us the most potent attacking back line in SL.
    We definitely need more quality & he is a cracker . Justin would probably get the best out of him .

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

When his manager is saying he would be a steal at Aus$ 500k I don't expect to see him in the RedVee.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Edited

Feel a bit bad talking about it to be honest because rugby a side, Lomax is genuinely a really nice lad and I hope it all turns out right for him. Hell of a good player on his day but clearly something isn't right and it's becoming knock upon knock. We haven't had a consistent full back for nearly 5 years or so and it's one of the most important attacking positions on the field - something we've all probably been guilty of forgetting in our criticism of the style of rugby and the like, maybe. It's something the club will have to handle well and a bit of give and take both ways would be ideal IMO.

Fully agree with what you have said here. I have met him a couple of times and as you say a really nice lad and good player. I hope we can come to an agreement rather than toss him on the scrapheap.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Fully agree with what you have said here. I have met him a couple of times and as you say a really nice lad and good player. I hope we can come to an agreement rather than toss him on the scrapheap.
    Just reading that he got a 12 match ban . So nailed on he will return to Nrl & sit out his sniffing a bit of coke whilst waiting .

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Is it that bad!!! At 67 years old I must be out of touch :-)
    1950 a good vintage!
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    One thing that always amuses me is that these kind of players do generally end up at Catalans. And Catalans never win a bean. These players who are apparently world class and will turn Catalans into the elite team generally underachieve, get in to further bother, get injured or just look like they can't be bothered. If Barba does the same I will not hold my breath waiting for him to become MOS and will not be holding my breath waiting for Catalans to be parading the Super League trophy around Perpignan.
    When Greg Bird played for Catalans first time around he had a great season. One player can't do it purely on his own though.

In The South Stand

[QUOTE=Blobbynator;696026]There are players in the squad that simply add no value whatsoever and can easily be replaced by youngsters we currently have in our squad. Greg Richards, Jack Owens, Dominic Peyroux and Tommy Lee are four examples. Release those players or move them on and I bet that frees up over

The four you mention plus Lomax can all go (for different reasons, obviously), so that must give us some salary cap options? We've got to start chasing some star names and ditch the rubbish that KC brought in.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    If his only choice is a few years in Super League, then we should have as good a chance as anybody.

I can guarantee ambitious clubs in SL will be going for him. There's a marquee rule in place, why can't we use it?
    Because he's not got a dog collar and bible in hand! We seem to scream for true talent at saints, but some seem to think that our players have to live like saints as well as play for saints. If a SL club signed him and he ripped us a new one on the pitch (highly likely with our lot) then you'd guarantee we'd have people on here screaming that we didn't go for him! No win for the club with some fans unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigo View Post
    Because he's not got a dog collar and bible in hand! We seem to scream for true talent at saints, but some seem to think that our players have to live like saints as well as play for saints. If a SL club signed him and he ripped us a new one on the pitch (highly likely with our lot) then you'd guarantee we'd have people on here screaming that we didn't go for him! No win for the club with some fans unfortunately.
    There's always a balance to be had but at the end of the day he had a bit of coke .. so what. Longy had a far worse off field rep when we signed him and Goulding was tainted too but both were special players who led us to glory.

People say he will only be here very short term but his ban will remain until he actually serves it I believe so any NRL team would have to factor that in. Even after his ban the NRL don't have to register him if they don't want too. If we got 2 seasons from him he'd be worth it .. tbh if we got 5 games out of him at the moment I'd be happy because he's head and shoulders above anything we have in our squad at the moment

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Get him signed, Take a punt on his discipline, if he wants to go back to NRL he'll have to keep his nose clean wherever he is. Be worth it to see him Lord Percy and Grace running at teams.

Quote Originally Posted by N0.1 Saint View Post
    There's always a balance to be had but at the end of the day he had a bit of coke .. so what.
    I agree that the offence isn't the worst thing in the world. But, if he was willing to take a chance (twice) on throwing away his career whilst being paid mega-bucks for the best team in the NRL what chance is there of him being squeaky clean playing in England for far less whilst he's biding his time until something better comes along?

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsaregods View Post
    Get him signed, Take a punt on his discipline, if he wants to go back to NRL he'll have to keep his nose clean wherever he is. Be worth it to see him Lord Percy and Grace running at teams.
    Who's Lord

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Who's Lord
    Blackadder ref

In The South Stand

I suppose Saintsaregods knew what he was saying when he said he will have to keep his nose clean.