Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Up For The Cup

Starting A Programme Collection Armourer's Avatar

I totally agree less gym monsters and more on field skills are are what these players need and the players with the best skills get to play regardless if they are in the second team or not it might give some of the current 19 a bit of a shock if they don't get automatic selection.
    Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    We kill ourselves every time with the mistakes we make. No ball control, soft penalties and total lack of discipline. I remember Mike McLennan on his first training session remarking that he'd come to coach Saints and was going to have to start with basics because they were that bad. Same applies to the Saints of today. They should forget the gym for a month, get on the pitch and practice rugby. Their ball control is terrible, their tackling technique is even worse. The game is won on the field, not in the gym.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    They should forget the gym for a month, get on the pitch and practice rugby. Their ball control is terrible, their tackling technique is even worse. The game is won on the field, not in the gym.
    This x 1000!

I hate to be Cunningham blamer - but when Perellini left and Cunningham became Strength & Conditioning coach, our injuries skyrocketed.
    I think this was because when Cunningham was a player - he just trained and trained and trained in the Gym. Cunningham had the body that could carry all that muscle mass, but not every player/person can - I don't think Cunningham realised that.
    Last edited by Rehnn; 10th May 2017 at 11:05. Reason: spelling

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rehnn View Post
    This x 1000!

I hate to be Cunningham blamer - but when Perellini left and Cunningham became Strength & Conditioning coach, our injuries skyrocketed.
    I think this was because when Cunningham was a player - he just trained and trained and trained in the Gym. Cunningham had the body that could carry all that muscle mass, but not every player/person can - I don't think Cunningham realised that.
    With this nice weather they should be out on the field doing ball skills and set moves.not stuck inside doing weights.how can moves be perfected if they dint practice. Its ridiculous imo.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    I can't believe anyone cannot enjoy Cas, it is by far my favourite away game. We always have a bet on who sees the first lad with a mullet, it's amazing how many of them there are. It's a proper old fashioned ground and I shall be sad when they move.
    No issues with the ground, despise the people though.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    If we don't win on Saturday our season is pretty much over.

We are a million miles away from the top 4 and our form is inconsistent. I don't hold much hope that we will win to be honest and I get the feeling come Saturday afternoon we'll all be very depressed about how this season has panned out. But on the plus side our best performance of the year came against Cas so that should hopefully give us a glimmer of hope.
    Think we'll have to play a hell of a lot better than we did against them on Easter Monday to be honest. It was a great win given the circumstances of Good Friday but we were still poor in spells. Cas will be up for this on Saturday and I can't help but think that they'll take it to a level we won't be able to live with. They're quicker, more confident and more patient than us IMO.

We'll have to defend so well and suddenly remember what it takes to win games. Unless they are horrific, we'll need to produce our best performance of the season, by miles, tto win. Long highlighted some issues that I fully agree after the Warrington game and I hope he's been drumming those lessons into them.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Cup v league position which is preferred.
    Either a good cup run but finish 9th and end the season in the middle 8s.

Or get knocked out on Saturday, try and string a few league wins together, maybe finish 6th then maybe a good run Super 8 and possibly pinch 4th.

Of course with a bit of good form we could do well in both or the complete opposite

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Cup v league position which is preferred.
    Either a good cup run but finish 9th and end the season in the middle 8s.

Or get knocked out on Saturday, try and string a few league wins together, maybe finish 6th then maybe a good run Super 8 and possibly pinch 4th.

Of course with a bit of good form we could do well in both or the complete opposite
    Define a 'good Cup run'?

If it means losing in the Semi's and finishing 9th, no chance. If it means winning the Cup and finishing 9th, yes, I'll take that because if we are good enough by July and August to win the Challenge Cup we'll be more than good enough to have secured a Top 3 spot in the Middle 8s after 4 or 5 games.

If we lose on Saturday then the season is probably done and dusted, bar the "fight" for a Top 8 spot which is nothing but an artificial bar between us playing for nothing in August and September in the Super 8s or us beating a few lower league teams in the Middle 8s.

I think we have a chance on Saturday, but Cas will want this just as badly. They are flying as a club and as a team, but for all their success so far they'll know it counts for zilch if they screw up later in the season. The Cup is huge for them because it represents an opportunity for them to confirm their current qualities with a trophy, and it's 4 wins away as opposed to the League where the nagging suspicion will remain that for all of their abilities they'll come a cropper down the line to a team with more experience and more street smarts. Powell will be targeting the Cup, and we need to be on it for 80 minutes to have a chance.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    Honestly, we have no chance whatsoever of finishing fourth. We're nowhere near consistent enough. We could lose to anybody at any time. It is all about the cup for me. If we get beat by Castleford then our season boils down to whether or not we can stay in the top eight and so guarantee ourselves a spot in Super League next year. Which seems outrageous for a club our size but as someone pointed out earlier all of Wigan, Bradford and Leeds have flirted with (and in Bradford's case jumped straight into bed with and got married to) relegation in recent years. It could happen to us.....
    why not top 4 there 17 games left were 7 points of 4th and 3rd and only 9 of top its a big ask of the way were playing at moment but if we can get some consistency together its possible so for me we should be targeting a win against cas at weekend then next week concentrate on league for me they are professional players and shouldnt be prioritising either until the week comes to which game there playing

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by saint4evs View Post
    why not top 4 there 17 games left were 7 points of 4th and 3rd and only 9 of top its a big ask of the way were playing at moment but if we can get some consistency together its possible so for me we should be targeting a win against cas at weekend then next week concentrate on league for me they are professional players and shouldnt be prioritising either until the week comes to which game there playing
    Mathematically it's far from a done deal, you are correct. But we need several things to happen. We need our team, which has so far only won 5 of 13 games to start winning nearly every week, and we need the teams at the top to suddenly start losing a lot more regularly than they currently are.

If the current Top 4 all had a pretty steep decline in form, and let's say won 9 and lost 8 of their remaining 17 games they'd all still be on and around the 18 win mark after 30 rounds, minimum. And I'm not including Wigan in this who will inevitably improve once they get bodies back. We would be looking at a benchmark of around 18 wins just to stand a chance of finishing above enough of those teams to get 4th, which means we'd have to win 13 of our last 17, and that would still be relying on the earlier mentioned drop in form of a couple of the teams above us.

Again, not mathematically done and dusted, but I cannot see a team that has lost 7 from 13 then winning 13 from 17, and even if we did I still don't think it would be enough to finish Top 4 because I don't see the Top 4 losing as many as they'd have to anyway.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    No issues with the ground, despise the people though.
    Ive always met some really nice people at Cas, have honestly never had a bad day out there. Ive never fancied standing at their end though, I have always stayed in our end!
    Last edited by Saint_Claire; 10th May 2017 at 18:57.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by saint4evs View Post
    Because we are nowhere near good enough. We'd have to hit top two form to finish fourth by the end of the 30th round and that, I'm afraid, is a pipe dream.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Define a 'good Cup run'?
    On the basis two wins gets you to a semi-final the only definition of a good cup run is to get to Wembley. Something that nobody under school leavers age will remember very shortly.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Starting A Programme Collection

[QUOTE=Saint_Claire;695959]Ive always met some really nice people at Cas, have honestly never had a bad day out there.

I'll second that, not a better set of fans around. and considering their abysmal record against us you would expect em to give us grief, credit to them that they behave impeccably well.

Banned

I agree good folks at Cas, better than Wakey.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

A lot will depend on the effect if any Holbrook can have.

He's going to have 7 or 8 games before the split then a further 7 in the Super 8s.

It's certainly going to be an interesting season ;-)

Just seen on Sky Sports that Catalans have been allowed to register a player to play in this weekends CC game as they are riddled with injuries (11 players according to Sky). I guess this is legal, but I am not sure I think it is morally right? Or am I being a bit harsh?
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Just seen on Sky Sports that Catalans have been allowed to register a player to play in this weekends CC game as they are riddled with injuries (11 players according to Sky). I guess this is legal, but I am not sure I think it is morally right? Or am I being a bit harsh?
    Well if clubs were forced to run reserve sides, this issue wouldn't arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Well if clubs were forced to run reserve sides, this issue wouldn't arise.
    This is my point also. So Saints run a youth/ reserve system so we can call on players to fill in when needed. Catalans don't bother, but when needs must they could find an experienced player from somewhere and register him for a game without the out lay of a youth/ reserve team.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    Who is this player and where did they get him from?
    Not sure, but could Saints not have offered to loan them Jack Owens?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Think we'll have to play a hell of a lot better than we did against them on Easter Monday to be honest. It was a great win given the circumstances of Good Friday but we were still poor in spells. Cas will be up for this on Saturday and I can't help but think that they'll take it to a level we won't be able to live with. They're quicker, more confident and more patient than us IMO.

We'll have to defend so well and suddenly remember what it takes to win games. Unless they are horrific, we'll need to produce our best performance of the season, by miles, tto win. Long highlighted some issues that I fully agree after the Warrington game and I hope he's been drumming those lessons into them.
    That's pretty much my feeling. It could all be over inside 20 mins.