Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Toronto

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Default Toronto

Amongst all the doom and gloom - 6,000 attended the first home game, absolutely brilliant news.

Three sent off too, d nothing else that'll get the local Hockey fans interested!

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/toronto-wol...ener-1.4103239

Great story here, the type story you'd expect from a North American newspaper

In The South Stand

If they can keep attracting that level of crowd and steadily grow it that can only be good news for the game. They might have to sort out any disciplinary issues out via Skype as its going to be rather an expensive and time consuming trip to the RFL headquarters every time there is a dust up,

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

BUT........what about when they get into Super League.

Teams already seem to struggle with the after effects of travel to an from Catalan, what will be the impact on travel to and from Toronto.

Would we be keen on a visit to Toronto if we then had a key cup tie the following week.

Apologies for being negative but I don't see where it can really lead to. It may have been better if the money that has been used to finance this team had been pumped into their own domestic league

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    BUT........what about when they get into Super League.

Teams already seem to struggle with the after effects of travel to an from Catalan, what will be the impact on travel to and from Toronto.

Would we be keen on a visit to Toronto if we then had a key cup tie the following week.

Apologies for being negative but I don't see where it can really lead to. It may have been better if the money that has been used to finance this team had been pumped into their own domestic league

The interest and media coverage that the Wolfpack have received can be nothing but excellent for the sport of rugby league!!! Virtually every Wolfpack game is being televised around the world which in itself can only be positive!!! Canadian interest in the Wolfpack will hopefully lead to more people checking out and supporting the local domestic teams, and hopefully the Wolfpack will use a few of those teams as feeder clubs to produce some homegrown players!! Which in turn will also aid the Canadian national team.

All ifs and buts I hear you say.......But the owner of the club is no mug and the structure, sponsorship, advertisement, he has put together shows this and shows what can be achieved by anyone with an ounce of ambition!!! I understand negativity towards the venture but I personally hope they achieve all their goals as it can be a catalyst to great things for our sport and in my opinion needs recognising and applauding!!

Super work for all involved, over 6000 for their first home game on a cold and rainy day is excellent!!!

Starting A Programme Collection NortonSaint's Avatar

If the Rugby League truly want this venture to succeed they will have to put their hands in their pockets.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

I don't think the RFL need to pay a dime. Toronto have more than enough finiancial backing to pay for everything.

Learning All The Songs

My mate lives in Winnipeg, it wasn't on tv in his neck of the woods which was a tad disappointing.
    Does anyone know who is broadcasting Wolfpack games out there?
    I was hoping the tv deals might wait until they are at least in the Championship, with all due respect to the smaller teams watching them play away at Oxford, Gloucester etc might not be a great selling point on national tv hence it not being on in Winnipeg.

On the subject of my mate, he is over here in a few weeks and coming to the Wigan game, he is megga excited for it so the game can certainly appeal out there.
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    My mate lives in Winnipeg, it wasn't on tv in his neck of the woods which was a tad disappointing.
    I was hoping the tv deals might wait until they are at least in the Championship, with all due respect to the smaller teams watching them play away at Oxford, Gloucester etc might not be a great selling point on national tv hence it not being on in Winnipeg.

On the subject of my mate, he is over here in a few weeks and coming to the Wigan game, he is megga excited for it so the game can certainly appeal out there.
    Premier Sports are broadcasting all Toronto home and away games but I would not know if Canada can receive their transmissions. I watched the game live last night at 21.30 our time even though it was a one sided affair.

I was always taught to respect my elders,
    but it keeps getting harder to find one!

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect;
    therefore I am perfect

Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Default Toronto

http://www.cbc.ca/player/sports

If he's in Canada the stream will work
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@RedveeDotNet

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

A cable station called Game TV have the rights to their games in Canada. They are owned by a company I've heard of but I've never heard of that station, and I don't think it's one of these basic cable channels that everyone gets.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by The Chaplain Chaplin View Post
    The interest and media coverage that the Wolfpack have received can be nothing but excellent for the sport of rugby league!!! Virtually every Wolfpack game is being televised around the world which in itself can only be positive!!! Canadian interest in the Wolfpack will hopefully lead to more people checking out and supporting the local domestic teams, and hopefully the Wolfpack will use a few of those teams as feeder clubs to produce some homegrown players!! Which in turn will also aid the Canadian national team.

All ifs and buts I hear you say.......But the owner of the club is no mug and the structure, sponsorship, advertisement, he has put together shows this and shows what can be achieved by anyone with an ounce of ambition!!! I understand negativity towards the venture but I personally hope they achieve all their goals as it can be a catalyst to great things for our sport and in my opinion needs recognising and applauding!!

Super work for all involved, over 6000 for their first home game on a cold and rainy day is excellent!!!
    I am all for spreading the game around the World, but what will the atmosphere be like at home games ,if say Catalans Toronto and Toulouse, are all in Super League

Learning All The Songs

I've no idea how to quote three separate posts in one reply so cheers for everyone responding, I'll let Gav know as he wants to watch their games.
    Season ticket renewed, fifth year at Saints 2017. Beer at The George time.

Noooobie

And CBC Sports (the Canadian national broadcaster) also show their games via online stream

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

Really good tear ups they were. Not like the NRL and Superleague slap a thons we now get.

I personally think one of the bigger reasons for fewer fans attending games is the lack of Biff.

Nothing that stokes up the atmosphere more than a bit of Biff.

Bring back the Biff I say.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulx2 View Post
    Really good tear ups they were. Not like the NRL and Superleague slap a thons we now get.

I personally think one of the bigger reasons for fewer fans attending games is the lack of Biff.

Nothing that stokes up the atmosphere more than a bit of Biff.

Bring back the Biff I say.

We shouldn't really condone violence but their was nothing wrong with the odd scrap in the past. Now the players all rush in and then tug each others shirts. Its embarrassing. I think the instant red card for punching rule was a bit extreme but its done now. Writing a rule like that really is one way unfortunately. Its not like they can pull a U turn on it and say 'actually, now its ok to hit folk like back in the day'

They should have just left it as it were and let the odd punch up be part of the sport.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

The way we're playing we could be playing them next season.

Banned

Take it from me folks, Paul Rowley is no mug, he is involved for a reason and good luck to one of the most genuine lads I met on the lower league cup competition circuit.

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    We shouldn't really condone violence but their was nothing wrong with the odd scrap in the past. Now the players all rush in and then tug each others shirts. Its embarrassing. I think the instant red card for punching rule was a bit extreme but its done now. Writing a rule like that really is one way unfortunately. Its not like they can pull a U turn on it and say 'actually, now its ok to hit folk like back in the day'

They should have just left it as it were and let the odd punch up be part of the sport.
    Couldn't agree with you more. Now we're stuck with the Ben Flower type cowardice and the likes of wind up merchants like Mick Ennis who wouldn't be quite so gobby if they knew there was the risk of getting slotted.

The jeopardy kept everyone guessing, now we all know it isn't going to happen and the sport is all the poorer for it.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post

Is it a straight Red Card? Walker was given a Yellow for punching recently against Leigh.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by davew View Post
    I am all for spreading the game around the World, but what will the atmosphere be like at home games ,if say Catalans Toronto and Toulouse, are all in Super League
    I understand what your saying and getting at, but it should be up to clubs to find a way to increase interest in these games rather than not having them!! Love them or loathe them but Wigan have led the way here with their Big One games with lots of advertising in the national and local press and on tv. More recently they have started doing family fun days with a family ticket and family area both ideas have been targeted for games when they play poorly supported clubs.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by The Chaplain Chaplin View Post
    I understand what your saying and getting at, but it should be up to clubs to find a way to increase interest in these games rather than not having them!! Love them or loathe them but Wigan have led the way here with their Big One games with lots of advertising in the national and local press and on tv. More recently they have started doing family fun days with a family ticket and family area both ideas have been targeted for games when they play poorly supported clubs.
    To make an atmosphere you have to have away fans, a ground full of home supporters won't work, you have to feed off the opponents supporters, that is what makes games against Wigan, Leeds Wire all the better.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Is it a straight Red Card? Walker was given a Yellow for punching recently against Leigh.
    Maybe he didn't hit him hard enough

Seriously though, im not sure. I think its straight red in the NRL these days.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

To make an atmosphere you have to have away fans, a ground full of home supporters won't work, you have to feed off the opponents supporters, that is what makes games against Wigan, Leeds Wire all the better.
    Doesn't seem to be an issue at Headingley or the HJ when they are playing the likes of Catalan or Huddersfield.

Learning All The Songs

Eventually the RFL will have to step in to stop the stupid ice hockey type fights these players are being asked to carry out. Will these Canadians stick with the team/sport then?