In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Signed a 3 year deal with us according to this:

https://twitter.com/josh_massoud/sta...01298177875968
    The next Michael Maguire or the next Royce Simmons, Time will tell

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    The next Michael Maguire or the next Royce Simmons, Time will tell
    We just needed to go in a differant direction from what Kieron was taking us? Who knows he could be crap he could be good? Just got to beat Wigan

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    We just needed to go in a differant direction from what Kieron was taking us? Who knows he could be crap he could be good? Just got to beat Wigan
    Yes how long before that tired sound byte gets trotted out

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

Betfred have suspended betting.
    WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF POOR BEN FLOWER?!

Got A Season Ticket Wise Old Elf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    we need someone to come in and change a culture, an ethos
    Absolutely. And that reaches through every echelon of the club, not just the first team playing staff.

Really hope he's the man to do it. If nothing else, he'll want to prove his credentials.
    The Grind always leads to trouble

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Rumoured to be coming immediately - Jason Taylor has been given his job at the Roosters

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by banburysaint View Post
    Only this on a roosters forum Http://www.thechookpen.com.au/vb5/fo...taylor-returns

We shall if it comes to pass
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Rumoured to be coming immediately - Jason Taylor has been given his job at the Roosters
    Was posted earlier mate. Looks like it's only a matter of time now for this to be announced.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

He looks the business for Saints, and with the news that Jason Taylor, a good mate of Trent Robinson, going to the Roosters it could be done and dusted.

Holbrook currently with the Junior Kangaroos as their coach.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Verminator View Post
    Betfred have suspended betting.
    http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/1...y_of_activity/

Noooobie

Guardian suggesting its a done deal
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...k-rugby-league

As I have no knowledge of NRL and coaches etc. Could someone enlighten me if they think Holbrook would have been a number one choice? Does anyone know if his work as an assistant in NRL shows he has potentential to be a success, or is it more of a punt?
    Plus if anyone knows, what will be his strengths/possible playing style etc.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Noooobie

More importantly who will he get rid of and will he sign some good aussies?

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    As I have no knowledge of NRL and coaches etc. Could someone enlighten me if they think Holbrook would have been a number one choice? Does anyone know if his work as an assistant in NRL shows he has potentential to be a success, or is it more of a punt?
    Plus if anyone knows, what will be his strengths/possible playing style etc.
    He isn't really known. He's mainly coached under 20s teams. Moved to lots of different clubs. I think Roosters wanted to punt him to make room for Jason Taylor who was head coach at the west tigers before getting the sack about a month ago. Taylor used to coach at the roosters.

Holbrook could be good or bad. I got no idea

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pooeater View Post
    He isn't really known. He's mainly coached under 20s teams. Moved to lots of different clubs. I think Roosters wanted to punt him to make room for Jason Taylor who was head coach at the west tigers before getting the sack about a month ago. Taylor used to coach at the roosters.

Holbrook could be good or bad. I got no idea
    Not true. Roosters wanted to keep Holbrook. They haven't "punted" him at all.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I expect he will improve the squad immediately as the new coach arriving usually produces a kick up the backside for those under performing.

He will assess what can be salvaged from the season and will start ti introduce more junior players.I wouldn't expect any major changes any time soon in personnel.
    Learned comment from The Don

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbit View Post
    He looks the business for Saints, and with the news that Jason Taylor, a good mate of Trent Robinson, going to the Roosters it could be done and dusted.

Holbrook currently with the Junior Kangaroos as their coach.
    Robinson and Taylor are good mates. He retained Holbrook in favour of Taylor. If Robinson rates Holbrook over Taylor that will do for me.He will probably take Taylor back now

Thanks. Regarding recruiting I guess his first job at least for next season will be looking at those he wants to keep and who he wants to bring in? Like all coaches it will be a balancing act using the salary cap wisely, bringing through the 'kids' (which he seems to have worked with over there so should be able to spot talent) and offloading deadwood.
    As said above any new coach brings a kick up the backside which hopefully will result in a few wins. Players upping their game to catch the coaches eye. But a possible downside and I say possible is players fitting into a new coaching style/methods which may upset some players and backroom staff.
    If he starts ASAP I assume he will retain the current coaches until at least seasons end.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    If he starts ASAP I assume he will retain the current coaches until at least seasons end.
    Given he's not an established head coach, it's unlikely he already has a retinue of assistants he likes to work with. Additionally, he's new to the British game. For those two reasons alone, I'd be surprised if he jettisoned the current coaches, who he'd be wise to retain at least for the rest of the season (then assess how well he works with them)

I've got to say that I've been quietly impressed with some of the work done by the three co-caretaker-coaches. Little things that various fans had spotted were really not working under Cunningham, they've changed round (eg, moving Wilkin wider, bringing LMS into the middle)

Like pretty much everyone else, I'm completely in the dark as to how this will go with Holbrook, but I'm quite excited by the prospect of a new dawn for the club. My four main hopes are:

1) His intention is to get us playing open yet intelligent & winning rugby
    2) He improves the games of our younger players (well, any aged players really)
    3) He's got the cojones to make the big decisions about established players who aren't delivering value for money
    4) He's able to bring in a couple of quality young prospects from Aus who want to prove themselves over here in order to win a major NRL contract

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

The club wanted someone who is good individually with the players and I think that's important. If you look at how we've played since Good Friday, there's a lot of forcing plays and trying to find miracle plays. There has clearly been a discussion on playing more expansively and they're probably over thinking it and trying to do too much, hence the errors etc. He needs to make sure that we're playing at the right times and I've always found halves and half coaches are good at that. That's his biggest challenge for me, he doesn't have a team of world class players like the one Kieron and Longy had. He's got two Internationals, one of those has only just made the squad, but changing the mentality and making sure the players are smart and know is the right time to play is really, really important IMO and I hope he's able to do that. If he doesn't, it's going to difficult right away.

He needs to develop the leaders in the team because frankly, we don't have many. Wilkin won't be around for much longer and bar him and Smith... well that's about it. Percival and Walmsley are growing in that sense but the latter doesn't really play long enough. We panic too often because we're lacking in leaders, he needs to encourage more players to step up into those roles - figure out who's capable.

He'll need to sort through the squad but that will come gradually. He'll need to the right decisions though. We're far too reliant on Roby even now and it's not just about the 9 in that sense, it's about finding other ways to break teams down but also having the understanding to know when to use different options and improving the decision making throughout the team.

Decision making is key really, both in terms of coach and players. It's the key to improvement with this team. I also feel it's important that he develops Wellens and Long as coaches.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    The club wanted someone who is good individually with the players and I think that's important. If you look at how we've played since Good Friday, there's a lot of forcing plays and trying to find miracle plays. There has clearly been a discussion on playing more expansively and they're probably over thinking it and trying to do too much, hence the errors etc. He needs to make sure that we're playing at the right times and I've always found halves and half coaches are good at that. That's his biggest challenge for me, he doesn't have a team of world class players like the one Kieron and Longy had. He's got two Internationals, one of those has only just made the squad, but changing the mentality and making sure the players are smart and know is the right time to play is really, really important IMO and I hope he's able to do that. If he doesn't, it's going to difficult right away.

He needs to develop the leaders in the team because frankly, we don't have many. Wilkin won't be around for much longer and bar him and Smith... well that's about it. Percival and Walmsley are growing in that sense but the latter doesn't really play long enough. We panic too often because we're lacking in leaders, he needs to encourage more players to step up into those roles - figure out who's capable.

He'll need to sort through the squad but that will come gradually. He'll need to the right decisions though. We're far too reliant on Roby even now and it's not just about the 9 in that sense, it's about finding other ways to break teams down but also having the understanding to know when to use different options and improving the decision making throughout the team.

Decision making is key really, both in terms of coach and players. It's the key to improvement with this team. I also feel it's important that he develops Wellens and Long as coaches.
    Great post Tez!

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I Know very little about Holbrook and what you suggest may be 100% correct. if so, to play the devil's advocate , what do we gain from bringing him in over Long? Was he a better smarter HB, I doubt it. If it is Holbrook then I really hope it works out.
    This has 0 relevance. We're recruiting a coach, not a halfback.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint 1 View Post
    This has 0 relevance. We're recruiting a coach, not a halfback.
    Powell was obviously the first choice if available and guess what he has 2 half backs as assistant coaches, not to mention himself. My point is that having Long in there as well could be an excellent mix.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
    Powell was obviously the first choice if available and guess what he has 2 half backs as assistant coaches, not to mention himself. My point is that having Long in there as well could be an excellent mix.
    That's not something I take issue with. It was more the insinuation that we should judge two prospective coaches on which was the better halfback. Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy were winger and centre respectively but I'd rather have them us coaching than Gary Schofield. You can't judge a head coach on his playing credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
    Where has Saints said or hinted that Powell was their first choice?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint 1 View Post
    That's not something I take issue with. It was more the insinuation that we should judge two prospective coaches on which was the better halfback. Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy were winger and centre respectively but I'd rather have them us coaching than Gary Schofield. You can't judge a head coach on his playing credentials.
    Our last coach proved exactly this.