Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do negative comments add to the problem

Noooobie

I understand that the players actions and performances will breed a better and more supportive atmosphere, but in all seriousness though, we have always had such a strong support base and it's at difficult times like this where we can make an impact on the team's performance, just through giving them some intensity and drive. It's a shame what's happened to our atmosphere, but I know that with a good performance will come a strong atmosphere from the saints fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    I can guarantee that in 2014 you were singing 'Saints until I die' at the top of my voice though weren't you?

For 80 minutes a week, you can get behind the players. Boo after if you want, I don't care, but there are some players in that team who are giving their all we should be getting behind them for 80 minutes. That atmosphere for our home games is probably on par with Widnes and Salford as the worst in the league. It's been that way since we moved there IMO even in the big games we've won. Warrington lost however many games in a row before the Leeds game but the atmosphere was brilliant on Friday night, same at Headingley last year and Warrington again the year before.

Nope. That's the ultimate Losers chant. Surprised it isn't sung more now. Mind you I wouldn't know as I did the sensible thing and stopped going. Be off to Newcastle though for a good session

Learning All The Songs

Protesting in most forms is to attract attention to a problem, to effect change there needs to be a concerted effort.
    A hand written, documented letter with an awaiting reply sentence, sent to Eamonn will obtain the required result.
    If he receives enough of these that his day is taken up reading and replying,change will come swiftly.
    Social media whilst pertinent is impersonal,however a letter as above has to be read and replied to personally and cannot be ignored.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

We didn't get told to shut up shop, we had no ball in the second half because we kept throwing it away. Cunningham said himself that they spoke about attacking the second half at half time but we didn't give ourselves a chance to.

I just don't see why for a game every two weeks, our home support can't get behind the players. If people don't want to go, don't go. But rather than cheering with Jon Wilkin goes off, maybe it would actually be an idea to give the players some support. All I hear on this place is that it's the coaches fault, so that doesn't mean you can't give the players some backing.

If I was playing I'd much rather be playing away right now and that's a sad thing.
    I sit in the south stand and clapped Wilkin off because I thought he put in a shift on friday and shouldn't have been taken off.But I think you are delusional if you think we were not told to shut up shop.That second half performance stank of we have what we hold.
    Learned comment from The Don

But this is a two way thing. I agree that we should back the players, but the players need to give something back.

Against Leigh earlier this season, we took 3,500 fans, filling 1 and a half stands and only being outnumbered 2:1 by home fans. Adult tickets cost £25. I'm not sure how much kids tickets cost, but for arguments sake, let's say they cost £10.

That means if a family of four went to that game it will have cost £70. Then you have to add in petrol costs and possibly food/drink etc. It was an expensive night. Yet we put up an abject display.

Not many sides would take that kind of support. Some sides can barely muster that support at home. On that night, I felt like our support was taken for granted, and it would make fans think whether it is worth spending a good amount of disposable income on following them when the effort of the players wasn't reciprocated.

Whether it is the coaches fault for poor tactics/motivation, or a lack of skill from the players, it isn't an issue that can be ignored. Going to rugby matches is a hobby, a very expensive hobby at that, and if players don't appear to be giving their all, or are underperforming (which they clearly are, as I don't think anyone pre-season tipped us to finish mid-table), then fans have their right to have their say, support is not unconditional, particularly when it costs so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    That's certainly the way I saw it. We made 17 errors so Tez has a point regarding possession but before Friday we were already averaging 12 errors a game. And all this with a conservative, boring style.

Completely and utterly spot on. If you want to bash it up the middle and score barge over tries, get a massive set of forwards, 2 big props and 1 big back rower on the bench with a quick interchange hooker. Then keep your passing, short, quick and sharp and have the forwards running from deep in 2's. Quick ptb and go again. Cunningham knows what he wants, he just hasn't got the humility to know that a) he hasn't got a back row, b) he's largely to blame for that as the signings have been terrible and c) isn't prepared to accept that he's at fault for a & b

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Completely and utterly spot on. If you want to bash it up the middle and score barge over tries, get a massive set of forwards, 2 big props and 1 big back rower on the bench with a quick interchange hooker. Then keep your passing, short, quick and sharp and have the forwards running from deep in 2's. Quick ptb and go again. Cunningham knows what he wants, he just hasn't got the humility to know that a) he hasn't got a back row, b) he's largely to blame for that as the signings have been terrible and c) isn't prepared to accept that he's at fault for a & b
    He asked us to judge him on his team and his signings,well we are doing,it's worse than the last 2 seasons. The whole of rugby league can see we have a right second row problem but we see the same 2 players there week after week.As you so rightly say,he is at fault for it. He's the head coach,the buck stops with him.

Learning All The Songs

A man who knows it all has nothing to learn.

Try telling him

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post

Try telling him

I can't unfortunately. There is one hundred per cent an awful lot of posters on here who know better than me but I believe the fundamental problems are a lack of coaching expertise, substantiated by poor signings. Combining the two means that we can't execute the game plan that the coach wants.

I tried to be more positive after Salford but when I think of it like this (which is the way it is), it's totally ridiculous. That first team set up is a circus. Internal back slapping and a clique where they all look after each other. I don't need 'insider info' to know that is how it is

Grego, I owe you a fiver. Top 4 I said. What on earth was I on about?

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

I can't unfortunately. There is one hundred per cent an awful lot of posters on here who know better than me but I believe the fundamental problems are a lack of coaching expertise, substantiated by poor signings. Combining the two means that we can't execute the game plan that the coach wants.

I tried to be more positive after Salford but when I think of it like this (which is the way it is), it's totally ridiculous. That first team set up is a circus. Internal back slapping and a clique where they all look after each other. I don't need 'insider info' to know that is how it is

Grego, I owe you a fiver. Top 4 I said. What on earth was I on about?
    We did wonder!!!
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

Learning All The Songs

We didn't get told to shut up shop, we had no ball in the second half because we kept throwing it away. Cunningham said himself that they spoke about attacking the second half at half time but we didn't give ourselves a chance to.

I just don't see why for a game every two weeks, our home support can't get behind the players. If people don't want to go, don't go. But rather than cheering with Jon Wilkin goes off, maybe it would actually be an idea to give the players some support. All I hear on this place is that it's the coaches fault, so that doesn't mean you can't give the players some backing.

If I was playing I'd much rather be playing away right now and that's a sad thing.
    Exactly , Cunningham cannot relay instructions correctly , the amount of times we go in at half time and then the opposition Coach out thinks
    Cunningham to turn the second half around is unreal.
    However much you defend Cunningham you could never say that we are a well coached or entertaining team to watch ?
    I used to like the player Cunningham but this appoitment in far to big and far to early for him in his coaching career !
    Last edited by french and conlon; 9th April 2017 at 14:08.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by french and conlon View Post
    Exactly , Cunningham cannot relay instructions correctly , the amount of times we go in at half time and then the opposition Coach then out thinks
    Cunningham to turn the second half around is unreal.
    However much you defend Cunningham you could never say that we are a well coached or entertaining team to watch ?
    I use to like the player Cunningham but this appoitment in far to big and far to early for him in his coaching career !
    Coaching wise we are awful. Rubgy league in it's entirety has worked out we can only attack down our left. They can add extra defenders knowing full well that as soon as the ball hits lms it's going back inside. This in turn puts extra pressure on our left and forces errors. Seems everyone bar KC has worked this out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Quote Originally Posted by french and conlon View Post
    Exactly , Cunningham cannot relay instructions correctly , the amount of times we go in at half time and then the opposition Coach out thinks Cunningham to turn the second half around is unreal.
    The amount of times he also makes comments about how the team didn't execute the plan or the team didn't have the right attitude either from minute 1 or minute 41 is also disconcerting, because that is on him to get them out on the field in the right frame of mind or focused on the plan. He speaks sometimes like he's just watched the game as an interested neutral, giving his opinions on what he thinks Saints did wrong, completely oblivious to the fact he is the first team coach.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post

Try telling him
    And that's why, unlike Daryl Powell, he'll never make a good coach, wherever he may wash up after he's hopefully removed from his duties at Saints
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    And that's why, unlike Daryl Powell, he'll never make a good coach, wherever he may wash up after he's hopefully removed from his duties at Saints
    With a lot of hindsight, a spell in a junior coaching role in Rugby Union might have done him good. Working in Union, he couldn't even kid himself that he knew everything about the game and studying a different game may have made him more tactically aware. Daryl Powell and Dennis Betts seemed to have improved as coaches by working in a different code and even Wane tried playing Union.

In The South Stand

On Friday after that quarter of an hour of decent play just before half time , well that's what I think anyway , I said " when he talks to them now he will say your doing alright lads now take it easy"i think he did .

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    I feel fully justified in showing him the same amount of respect he has paid to the fans - absolutely zero.

The long term damage this clown is inflicting on the club is a disgrace.
    Spot on. Respect is a two way thing.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Spot on. Respect is a two way thing.

I feel the same way. Loved him as a player but feel insulted and disrespected with how he's treated the fans at times with his comments.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I feel the same way. Loved him as a player but feel insulted and disrespected with how he's treated the fans at times with his comments.

He's certainly no diplomat