Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time to go..

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Just want to point out that in the Millward era, we stacked the first 13 with quality but even then had regulars who'd not be considered stars (Jonkers, Edmo, Stankevitch, Ward, Stewart, etc) and there was little in the way of proven/experienced players beyond the first 17, relying on youngsters to come in to fill gaps where required.

It served us pretty well!
    I dont recall the youngsters being pilloried in the press at that time either.

Milward gets a tough time on here, mainly because of the spin from the club at the time and peoples insistence on believing everything a certain shandy buyer says. He had a great squad but he was tactically very clever as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    The thing is with Wellens, he didn't have natural speed so he was forced to learn something about the game, i.e. Anticipation. Naturally gifted players don't have to learn much (it comes naturally), hence the what I don't know about rugby comments.

The issue is that you may know a lot about rugby but how do you teach it. At least Welkens had to learn some aspect of the game and he made up his lack of ability by learning how to overcome it.

However If Cunningham is to hold out for the 18 months then in my eyes his reputation with the club is about to become negative.
    I know that: 1. Wellens has been a real student of the game; 2. has served time in the England setup and 3. has real passion for Saints, passion we have seen demonstrated behind the sticks when things haven't been going well. In theory, I'd love him to be appointed and turn things round in real comic book fashion. I don't know Wellens but he comes across a a really nice bloke and I just wouldn't like to see him appointed and fail.

Any decision would be down to him but I suspect that he feels that he isn't ready for a major coaching role yet. Being an assistant with England and in the ranks of the coaching team at Saints suggests that he is still developing/learning.

It would have been great if Cunningham had turned out to be a creative, winning coach. It would be great if Wellens could be a coaching success but the club made a mistake in appointing Cunningham without him being able to show any coaching credentials. I just don't want to see yet another former player who we all admire following the same downward path.

Anyway none of us have a real say in any of this. It's all speculation. If a new coach is appointed, let's hope that the club gets it right.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I remember when Vinnie Anderson couldn't make the 17.
    And Nick Fozzard.

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

That nearly made me cry

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WBFOP View Post
    And Nick Fozzard.
    Oh yeah, and the Fozzster, guaranteed tear up.

So it used to be heading into Good Friday..........Even when we never won... ....Will we win???? Will Tony Sullivan go the length after being let loose?? Will Foggy smash one of theirs just for the crack when we are 20 down.........Will Newy do them and crash over after some great work from the halves, will Scully tear them a new one?? Will Bobby do one of those cross field kicks that makes them S**t themselves? Will Darren Albert go the length? Will Preccy diffuse everything they can throw at us and return with interest?? Will Longy take it to the line to the extent that he gets his face caved in just to make them look stupid?

Now it's more like ........Will we get away with a narrow defeat or victory with no stand out performers?

Will we be able to out muscle them down the middle, if no, then what? Will we get pasted or will the guys on the pitch manage to stop that from happening?

Will we be able to control the game with sterile tactics enough to grab a two point victory? Will we be able to crash over from short range on the back of two penalties?

All in all, the result is becoming insignificant, the fun's just gone now and it's really taking the pure unadulterated love/hate uncertainty/expectation that Derby day used to get you excited about out of the whole thing.............No matter how pants we were, we always used to go down there with an optimism that we'd stick it to them and have a real good go.........Toss it about and win or lose we would have something to talk about but it's just not like that this year. Win or lose, we just don't seem to have that vibe now and that's what is sad.

Learning All The Songs

Seeing how the Cunningham Massif let him down badly again on Friday, i think when we play wigan and cas over the weekend he should give some of the younger lads a run out. Put Mako full back, and then give one of the young Academy lads a run out on the wing. If Mako can't play because of concussion then put Bailey at 1. Id tell the side to throw the ball about, i don't think there will be any pressure on saints for the next two games as no one is giving them a chance. Id even put a back on the bench, someone like young Richardson. Instead of the usual 4 ave plodders.

I think that was during Daniel Anderson's period at the club when Vinnie (and Fozzard?)missed out on selection for both the Challenge Cup and SL Grand Finals.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Seeing how the Cunningham Massif let him down badly again on Friday, i think when we play wigan and cas over the weekend he should give some of the younger lads a run out. Put Mako full back, and then give one of the young Academy lads a run out on the wing. If Mako can't play because of concussion then put Bailey at 1. Id tell the side to throw the ball about, i don't think there will be any pressure on saints for the next two games as no one is giving them a chance. Id even put a back on the bench, someone like young Richardson. Instead of the usual 4 ave plodders.
    By Cunninghams quote:- "Every game is massive in this competition, they are all big games" he will be playing every single game with very little positive experimentation. He's just heaping a load of pressure on the team, the effort is there in patches but the opposition seem to know they are going to get a fair share of the game no matter how it develops.

Just watched a few replays of our games, its a good job Zeb Taia is in the team if we didn't have him we would be discussing Saints bobbing along in the bottom 3.

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    By Cunninghams quote:- "Every game is massive in this competition, they are all big games" he will be playing every single game with very little positive experimentation. He's just heaping a load of pressure on the team, the effort is there in patches but the opposition seem to know they are going to get a fair share of the game no matter how it develops.

Just watched a few replays of our games, its a good job Zeb Taia is in the team if we didn't have him we would be discussing Saints bobbing along in the bottom 3.
    Don't worry, by next Monday evening we will be...
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I think that was during Daniel Anderson's period at the club when Vinnie (and Fozzard?)missed out on selection for both the Challenge Cup and SL Grand Finals.

Great shout. I've got the 2006 challenge cup final dvd and the 2006 grand final dvd and neither of them made the 17 on either occasion

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Could have been. I just remember thinking "what a squad when the likes of Anderson can't get on the bench" Doubt we will ever see a squad of that strength again.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    Not for the foreseeable future but to be fair that's not Cunningham's fault. You just couldn't do it under the present cap, even with the recently announced changes.
    No. I wasn't blaming that one on him. I just thought it was the best squad I have seen and I go back quite a way.

Learning All The Songs

Millward was the best coach we've had in my time. Better than Anderson who for me started this conservatism.
    I dint think james graham was a fan of his.he rated anderson very highly though.

Learning All The Songs

It's all about opinons but how old was Graham when Millward was around? Really started to establish himself under Anderson so maybe credits him for that?
    Im not certain tbh.i was talking to him in a pub.it was a good while back and he was telling me what he thoyght if the 2.also said millward wouldn't last long at wigan

Not for the foreseeable future but to be fair that's not Cunningham's fault. You just couldn't do it under the present cap, even with the recently announced changes.
    I'm convinced that even with that squad available to him Cunningham would find a way to bore us to tears and lose games.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

None of the usual rumour types on Twitter mentioned so far

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by djdegsy View Post
    Im not certain tbh.i was talking to him in a pub.it was a good while back and he was telling me what he thoyght if the 2.also said millward wouldn't last long at wigan
    The Wigan adventure was always doomed to failure (which is why I loved it). They didn't have the players to play the Millward way and it just isn't Wigan's style anyway. He never won over the dressing room and he never won over the fans.

Pie eaters will watch a hen sit for 80 minutes just as long as they win at the end of it. Even the teams they had in the early 90's were disciplined rather than cavalier, sure they put cricket scores on teams at times but that was more down to fitness , full time vs part time players.

Millward was loved at Saints and is still my favourite coach, his face didn't fit with McManus and his crew so he had to go, sadly though with the exception of Anderson (possibly Brown) McManus has proven himself to be a shit judge of coach.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulx2 View Post
    Oh yeah, and the Fozzster, guaranteed tear up.

So it used to be heading into Good Friday..........Even when we never won... ....Will we win???? Will Tony Sullivan go the length after being let loose?? Will Foggy smash one of theirs just for the crack when we are 20 down.........Will Newy do them and crash over after some great work from the halves, will Scully tear them a new one?? Will Bobby do one of those cross field kicks that makes them S**t themselves? Will Darren Albert go the length? Will Preccy diffuse everything they can throw at us and return with interest?? Will Longy take it to the line to the extent that he gets his face caved in just to make them look stupid?

Now it's more like ........Will we get away with a narrow defeat or victory with no stand out performers?

Will we be able to out muscle them down the middle, if no, then what? Will we get pasted or will the guys on the pitch manage to stop that from happening?

Will we be able to control the game with sterile tactics enough to grab a two point victory? Will we be able to crash over from short range on the back of two penalties?

All in all, the result is becoming insignificant, the fun's just gone now and it's really taking the pure unadulterated love/hate uncertainty/expectation that Derby day used to get you excited about out of the whole thing.............No matter how pants we were, we always used to go down there with an optimism that we'd stick it to them and have a real good go.........Toss it about and win or lose we would have something to talk about but it's just not like that this year. Win or lose, we just don't seem to have that vibe now and that's what is sad.

I've said something similar earlier today about Friday's game. The nerves and excitement just won't be there for me. I just feel complete apathy at the the minute.

I might feel differently once I'm inside the ground and the game kicks off but I just feel completely and utterly lost with it at all.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I've said something similar earlier today about Friday's game. The nerves and excitement just won't be there for me. I just feel complete apathy at the the minute.

I might feel differently once I'm inside the ground and the game kicks off but I just feel completely and utterly lost with it at all.
    Agreed, but let's face it you're right, a few pints down and in a packed out ground there's only one result we'll be screaming like loonies for . In some ways it may be a less pressurised game for KC cause this isn't about him, it's just about beating them!

Unless it goes horribly, horribly wrong that is.

In The South Stand

It's all about opinons but how old was Graham when Millward was around? Really started to establish himself under Anderson so maybe credits him for that?
    Was 17/18 ish wasn't he ?

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Was 17/18 ish wasn't he ?
    I think he was the Great Britain u/18's captain just before he got promoted into the first team squad at 18.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I think he was the England Academy Captain just before he got promoted into the first team squad at 18.

In The South Stand

I went to watch a reserve / academy team when Wilkin signed to see what this lad Wilkin was like and when I got home I phoned my mate and told him I had been watching as I described him this tall ginger haired lad ripping the place up knocking players of and scoring 2 tries I said he had a blinding game , it turned out to be Graham and shortly after he captained the British academy and they beat the Aussies so you can check his age from when we signed Wilkin .

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    I went to watch a reserve / academy team when Wilkin signed to see what this lad Wilkin was like and when I got home I phoned my mate and told him I had been watching as I described him this tall ginger haired lad ripping the place up knocking players of and scoring 2 tries I said he had a blinding game , it turned out to be Graham and shortly after he captained the British academy and they beat the Aussies so you can check his age from when we signed Wilkin .

Watched our 21-21 draw with Wigan from Good Friday 2004 for a bit of nostalgia before friday. That brawl was a bit brutal and I never realised it the 2 lads who started it was Newton and Wilkin. Wilkin must only have been 19 then so although he is a waste of space now. His longevity is impressive.

He got his dinner off Newton though. Poor lad