Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Few Thoughts...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    It's a sad indicment of the standards of the game if people genuinely thought we had a good squad. I keep hearing from respected supporters that "we've got a good squad" and "it's just the coach" but on what basis?

The way I look at it is that we have four genuinely quality players:

Percival
    Lomax
    Walmsley (when he fancies it)
    Roby

We have some good players who are decent pros and good journeymen but players that could never be described as top bracket:

Smith
    Amor
    Fages
    Wilkin (although he's close to bottom bracket these days)
    Taia

We have a couple of good players at club level who would never make internationals:

Swift
    Makinson

The young, nice but will never do owt bracket:

Thompson
    Knowles
    Fleming
    Ashworth

Then we have the sack of shite bracket:

Owens
    Morgan
    Peyroux
    Walker
    Lee
    Douglas
    Scarsbrook
    Richards

There isn't an ounce of pace in the whole lot of them and very little class.

Cunningham is clearly a clueless coach, but anyone who actually thinks we have a squad capable of honours is more deluded than Deluded Dunders. Quite frankly, it's the worst squad of players we've had in the 30 years I have been going by some distance.

I personally disagree with some of your assessments - I think you're too pessimistic. Douglas, Morgan & Walker are much better than you've portrayed (Douglas & Morgan were NRL regulars, in Douglas' case for years, for nothing, whilst Walker has shown even here that he has the foundations to be a very decent offloading prop - look at how Douglas & Walker performed together in the 4-nations last autumn). To put those three in the bracket of Owens, Peyroux & Lee is pretty insulting.

I maintain that we have one of the best & most balanced squads in SL. Our problem is purely the coaching. Proven players struggling isn't because they've suddenly lost ability, it's because they're playing crap or confusing tactics that are too easy to counter, which leads to falling away of confidence. Look at some of the sides an injury-hit wi*an have put out over the past couple of seasons - on paper they're pretty ordinary, but they're well-drilled to play effective rugby. Even current darlings Cas have assembled a team with no shortage of misfits, rejects & journeymen (why was Shenton so average at Saints) that on paper you wouldn't pick the majority for international level, yet their coaching allows them to shine.

Edit - to add, we do have a few really poor players in the squad who wouldn't get in most other SL sides, yet we repeatedly pick them. This creates holes in our team that others must try to fill, which negatively impacts their game. Like most of us have identified, the right hand side is ineffective, mainly because the SR options there are so poor.
    Last edited by Webbo Again; 1st April 2017 at 15:35.