Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tonight's game

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    The two main components of a CEO is operations from top to lower levels and management of resource, its the latter that he has struggled with since his tenure.
    What evidence is there that he's struggled though mate?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGunFunk View Post
    Makinson full back, Grace/Wellington wing, Lomax stand off, Ashworth second row, Theo interchange with Roby. Owens water carrier, Lee kicking tee, Peyroux pre-match rubdowns, LMS post match entertainment. Ideally Wilkin nowhere near the ground, drinking coffee and herbal tea somewhere with Cunningham, but one step at a time eh.....
    It would be a start. Sticking with what we have on the pitch won't change a thing in terms of the results. As mentioned in other posts our right hand side attacking threat at present with ball in hand is non existent and if teams stack up well on our left were stuffed other than driving it down the middle and Smith kicking it to one of the wingers.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Not just me then.
    Agree with both you and the Captain.
    Isnt Ashworth on loan for a month though?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitoh View Post
    Wello, he's really come on as a water carrier.
    Enough to get Gleeson yellow carded.

The two main components of a CEO is operations from top to lower levels and management of resource, its the latter that he has struggled with since his tenure.
    The Finance and Sales and Marketing people might not agree with your definition of a CEO

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Twentyman View Post
    You've mentioned this a couple of times today. What compulsory qualifications do you think you need to be a CEO? Anyone can be a CEO, they need extensive knowledge of what they are operating, they need leadership and management skills which he has demonstrated at various levels of the club including the first team. Obviously there's the financial side of things and putting strategies etc in place but who are we to know his personal qualities with them things. The chairman will know. You don't learn everything in uni, you learn from experience and he has tons of it at Saints.
    None/few of us know his exact remit. Does he have control of recruitment? Player contracts? An input into tactics?

We do know that he has limited experience of the game at the top level. We know that his one stint as head coach was marked by a safety-first approach and one-dimensional rugby (after Simmons' poor and eratic start to the season, most of us admittedly were relieved for some stability at the time).

We also know that, under his CEO tenure we've generally gone backwards, winning just one trophy in umpteen years after being the dominant force in SL.

We've seen a struggling and inexperienced ciach be given an undeserved contract extension. We've seen past-it players be given 2+years contract extensions that aren't warranted. We've winced as the club's signed players we could all see would be very poor. We've watched as our pack's average age has increased, as we've let promising youngsters leave and brought in ageing players.

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

Plans A-X - Fages and Smith
    Plan Y - Wilkin and Smith
    Plan Z - Fages and Wilkin

Not to mention the Roby/Lee farce
    RHINO balls are like Bon Jovi albums - Slippery When Wet

ST HELENS RFC - Back in business, Thank you Justin Holbrook.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    None/few of us know his exact remit. Does he have control of recruitment? Player contracts? An input into tactics?

We do know that he has limited experience of the game at the top level. We know that his one stint as head coach was marked by a safety-first approach and one-dimensional rugby (after Simmons' poor and eratic start to the season, most of us admittedly were relieved for some stability at the time).

We also know that, under his CEO tenure we've generally gone backwards, winning just one trophy in umpteen years after being the dominant force in SL.

We've seen a struggling and inexperienced ciach be given an undeserved contract extension. We've seen past-it players be given 2+years contract extensions that aren't warranted. We've winced as the club's signed players we could all see would be very poor. We've watched as our pack's average age has increased, as we've let promising youngsters leave and brought in ageing players.
    You nailed it in the first paragraph...none of us know. So not sure why he's getting singled out for criticism.

Anyone notice the amount of Matty Smith drop off passes? Thought that was just a Luke Walsh thing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Anyone notice the amount of Matty Smith drop off passes? Thought that was just a Luke Walsh thing.

They interviewed Matty on Sky and he said " he really enjoyed his time at Salford because he was given free rein on how he played" they may not be his exact words but near enough.
    Maybe he now has a very short rein. I think the drop off is more KC than Luke Walsh.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    They interviewed Matty on Sky and he said " he really enjoyed his time at Salford because he was given free rein on how he played" they may not be his exact words but near enough.
    Maybe he now has a very short rein. I think the drop off is more KC than Luke Walsh.
    Dunno, Walsh has been doing plenty of them at Catalans as well

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    Because he's the CEO and so the buck stops with him. Same reason KC gets criticism when players under perform.
    He won't be doing anything without McManus's say so. McManus is running that ship.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

the only move Cunningham knows.

I actually thought we did try to throw it around a bit last night. Unfortunately for KC, no matter what he tries now he is a victim of his own dreadful recruitment.

Got A Season Ticket

I mentioned quite a few games back that Ashworth should be getting the nod over Peyroux as the young lad is a natural second row/centre who runs with his head up and sees whats in font of him. He will make a few errors just like Richardson but if you don't give him game time he isn't going to learn under a pressure game stage, its KC and his usual conservative play safe perspective. As for LMS he is a lightweight prop, started his career as such, and is not a natural ball handling backrower, he can run good lines when everyones on the same hymn sheet, he puts in a lot of effort but its all huff and puff these days, he only made 30 metres from 9 carries yesterday.
    30m from 9 carries? He actually ran about 300m sideways to get that far forward

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

He won't be doing anything without McManus's say so. McManus is running that ship.
    And what evidence do you have to prove this? The chairman removed himself from the dual role to step away from the running of the club, the CEO will report to the board like in any business but I believe Rush handles the day to day operations.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    And what evidence do you have to prove this? The chairman removed himself from the dual role to step away from the running of the club, the CEO will report to the board like in any business but I believe Rush handles the day to day operations.
    Boys club .

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I don't have any mate, but I'd be amazed if Rush makes any big decision without it getting signed off by McManus. I'm only guessing of course, but so is everybody else. We're all looking for people to blame and solutions in how to repair things. I do like Rush though and believe he loves the club. He didn't have the 'there's nothing I don't know about rugby league' attitude when he held the first team reigns and we finished a respectable 3rd and did the best thing for the club by stepping aside for Brown.

Banned

I do like Rush though and believe he loves the club. He didn't have the 'there's nothing I don't know about rugby league' attitude when he held the first team reigns and we finished a respectable 3rd and did the best thing for the club by stepping aside for Brown.
    He might be the most likeable chap on the planet, and I've no doubt he loves the club. But from what I've heard, he DOES have a major say in the running of the club, and must carry at least a big chunk of the blame for the disastrous state the club is currently in, with an inept coach on an extended contract, a squad playing well below its potential, some long-standing players well on the downward curve of performance being given new contracts, the signing of some utter dross (at best, Rush has blindly rubber-stamped the signings; at worst agreed with Dunderhead).

In short, he's presided over the demise of the dominant force in SuperLeague, into a team struggling to make the top 8 and, a couple of games apart, playing some of the most turgid, one-dimensional crap rugby I've ever witnessed from a Saints team.

Like we've seen, any team with pretensions for honours can have the odd brainfart of a game, but losing to pre-season relegation favourites Leigh, Wakefield, Salford within the first 7 matches (especially given the clueless manner of our defeats) is an embarrassment.

But there doesn't seem to be any accountability at the club. Failure appears to be met with a shrug of the shoulders by those who own the club.

Enough is enough. Cunningham needs to be booted out, and Rush put on a warning that if his decisions regarding Cunningham's replacement, and ridding the club of overpaid garbage like Wilkin, LMS, Lee, Owens, Peyroux, don't bear fruit, then he'll follow them.

Then again, there's still too many apologist fans who'll moan about performances on the pitch, but then make excuse after excuse for the coach & CEO, so I don't expect anything to change.