Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jack Owens

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

I think if Owens was a lad that had come through the acedemy he would be getting praise for his last 2 games.
    If he's still playing when we have no injuries then the debate becomes different, but I'd be staggered if that happens. As it is he is doing nothing to let us down at the moment

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

One of his earliest appearances for Widnes was against Saints. He played on the wing that day and scored a couple of tries against us.
    He looked a promising young player that night and on other occasions when I saw him in any televised games he looked good.
    He has played for England Accademy and was Widnes top scorer for two seasons.

So when we signed him I thought it was a good move.

Last season he was a klutz. The more he seemed to try the more mistakes he made.

This season he seems steadier, he was on the ball for try he read it well and started his run early.

He's no Darren Albert but he won't be on the sort of money that a modern day Albert would get.

A club has to assemble a squad according to the budget then it's up to the coach to get the best out the players he's got.

My next door neighbours cat could coach the team if we had Inglis, Thurston and Sam Burgess ;-)

Banned
    KC. Be so kind and take Owens with you when you leave. That's a good chap.

i just don't rate Owens at all

Not even to cover injuries.
    Happy for him to prove me wrong. If he is at least consistently reliable without being great or good (depending on your standards). Then that would be proving me wrong.

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Onetimepost View Post
    i just don't rate Owens at all
    Really?

You've never mentioned it.
    WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF POOR BEN FLOWER?!

Starting A Programme Collection paulx2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    One of his earliest appearances for Widnes was against Saints. He played on the wing that day and scored a couple of tries against us.
    He looked a promising young player that night and on other occasions when I saw him in any televised games he looked good.
    He has played for England Accademy and was Widnes top scorer for two seasons.

So when we signed him I thought it was a good move.

Last season he was a klutz. The more he seemed to try the more mistakes he made.

This season he seems steadier, he was on the ball for try he read it well and started his run early.

He's no Darren Albert but he won't be on the sort of money that a modern day Albert would get.

A club has to assemble a squad according to the budget then it's up to the coach to get the best out the players he's got.

My next door neighbours cat could coach the team if we had Inglis, Thurston and Sam Burgess ;-)
    And yet South's look less than ordinary even though they have 2 of the 3 you mention and some superstars to add to the list as well !

I think there is more to getting a successful side than star players, Salford are doing better than previously with fewer "stars" and Cas have made stars out of average players.

We have seemed to make average players out of stars and sign less than average players to make up the cover over the past few seasons.

Having said all that, the last 3 performances have made me think/ hope we have turned the corner and are going to play more expansively for the rest of the season which i am sure, win, lose or draw is what we all are mega happy to see.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Verminator View Post
    Really?

You've never mentioned it.
    Oh ok. Thought I had
    No I don't think he's any good.
    I will mention it a few more more times so everyone knows my opinion on the matter.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Oh ok. Thought I had
    No I don't think he's any good.
    I will mention it a few more more times so everyone knows my opinion on the matter.
    You've got me thinking!!!!!!!!!!! When you brush your teeth in the morning is it Top Front or Bottom Rear.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 28th March 2017 at 09:02.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    You've got me thinking!!!!!!!!!!! When you brush your teeth in the morning is it Top Front of Bottom Rear.
    I have not worked out if his (or her) teeth are milk or ones that sit in a glass at night.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I have not worked out if his (or her) teeth are milk or ones that sit in a glass at night.
    I'm concerned early hypo signs "overdose of Pepsi Max", maybe.

Learning All The Songs yogi bear's Avatar

Owens is THE worst player currently playing regularly in SL - simple as that, he wouldn't get a look in anywhere else and only gets selected for us because of KC's pig headedness in not wanting to admit he's signed a duff.

His try against Wire is the first decent thing I've seen from him since he signed. I could probably list 20 cock ups he's made (and that's just at Salford away last year).
    For me all he is doing is stifling the opportunity for one of our youngsters to come through. I get the impression he was probably a decent youth level player (Eng academy) but never developed.

Banned

Careful. An opinion is only valid on here if it's in line with the rest of the sheep.

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogi bear View Post
    Owens is THE worst player currently playing regularly in SL - simple as that, he wouldn't get a look in anywhere else and only gets selected for us because of KC's pig headedness in not wanting to admit he's signed a duff.

His try against Wire is the first decent thing I've seen from him since he signed. I could probably list 20 cock ups he's made (and that's just at Salford away last year).
    For me all he is doing is stifling the opportunity for one of our youngsters to come through. I get the impression he was probably a decent youth level player (Eng academy) but never developed.

To be fair, he wasn't on his own against Salford last year, 44-10 losses aren't just down to one winger. I said last year that I felt he was getting some stick because he was a conduit for the ill feeling towards Cunningham, playing on the wing close to the crowd as with Dawson, he was signed then bigged up by the Coach as something he never was, and so copped some unwarranted flack because of it.

Yes he's not the quality we're used to, but in the absence of any clear plan or through an ill-thought out, designed structure of the coach, he was offered a deal and then picked to play for us. It's not his fault the coach decided to tell all and sundry he couldn't believe Widnes let him go, he probably felt under pressure himself the moment those ill-advised words left Keirons lips.
    RHINO balls are like Bon Jovi albums - Slippery When Wet

ST HELENS RFC - Back in business, Thank you Justin Holbrook.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13

Learning All The Songs

Careful. An opinion is only valid on here if it's in line with the rest of the sheep.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when they keep repeating themselves over and over again it becomes tiresome and sounds like an obsession.

Banned

At times it's enfuriating with some of the decisions that have been made at saints in recent years and venting here is one of my only outlets

I'm a massive saints fan. Always have been and Since KC has been in charge things have taken a drastic turn in my opinion.

Learning All The Songs

Owens is THE worst player currently playing regularly in SL - simple as that, he wouldn't get a look in anywhere else and only gets selected for us because of KC's pig headedness in not wanting to admit he's signed a duff..
    Spot on. Look at everyone else's wingers in the league...

Leeds - Briscoe & Hall
    Cas - Eden & Minikin
    Wigan - Which ever 2 they choose from the seemingly never ending production line
    Hull - Fonua & Michaels
    Widnes - Thompson & Marsh
    Leigh - Higson & Dawson
    Salford - Carney & Johnson
    Wakefield - Jones-Bishop & Johnston
    Huddersfield - McGilvary & Murphy
    Catalans - Yaha & Thornley
    Wire - Lineham & Russell.

Agreed there are a few poor players on that list but which clubs would swap one of their wingers for Owens if he became available?
    In my opinion he's the poorest player in this position in the league and Cunningham is blocking young talent coming through by playing him regularly.
    He played 25 games last year and showed nothing to warrant selection. If he was signed before KC took over would he still be at Saints?

Banned

Exactly. And like I've said. This is directed at KC. Picking him is beyond a joke

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

At times it's enfuriating with some of the decisions that have been made at saints in recent years and venting here is one of my only outlets

I'm a massive saints fan. Always have been and Since KC has been in charge things have taken a drastic turn in my opinion.

No 5h1t....don't think any of us have noticed that...
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    Spot on. Look at everyone else's wingers in the league...

Leeds - Briscoe & Hall
    Cas - Eden & Minikin
    Wigan - Which ever 2 they choose from the seemingly never ending production line
    Hull - Fonua & Michaels
    Widnes - Thompson & Marsh
    Leigh - Higson & Dawson
    Salford - Carney & Johnson
    Wakefield - Jones-Bishop & Johnston
    Huddersfield - McGilvary & Murphy
    Catalans - Yaha & Thornley
    Wire - Lineham & Russell.

Agreed there are a few poor players on that list but which clubs would swap one of their wingers for Owens if he became available?
    In my opinion he's the poorest player in this position in the league and Cunningham is blocking young talent coming through by playing him regularly.
    He played 25 games last year and showed nothing to warrant selection. If he was signed before KC took over would he still be at Saints?
    You've listed each team's 1st choice wingers in comparison to Owens; that makes no sense. Our 1st choice wingers are Makinson and Swift and Owens is only playing because Makinson has been temporarily moved to full back. Shouldn't you be comparing Owens to everyone's 3rd choice winger?

I'm no fan of Owens by the way; I'm just pointing out that comparing him to 1st choice wingers doesn't really make sense.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

It's all part of the highs & lows of being a Saints fan ;-)

Other than winning the lottery & buying the club there's nowt the likes of you and me can do about it ;-)

It could be worse you could have been born a Wire fan :-)

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    You've listed each team's 1st choice wingers in comparison to Owens; that makes no sense. Our 1st choice wingers are Makinson and Swift and Owens is only playing because Makinson has been temporarily moved to full back. Shouldn't you be comparing Owens to everyone's 3rd choice winger?

I'm no fan of Owens by the way; I'm just pointing out that comparing him to 1st choice wingers doesn't really make sense.

The list above (apart from Minikin) are the wingers who played in this round - Thornley, Michaels, Marsh & Monaghan all 3rd choice, all arguably offer more than Owens.

Cas - J Monaghan
    Leeds – Handley
    Wire - Penny
    Salford – Evalds
    Wigan – Take your pic
    Hull – Michaels
    Huddersfield – Ormsby
    Wakefield – Caton-Brown
    Widnes – Marsh
    Catalans – Thornley
    Leigh - Brown

Some very poor players there but again, which coach would do a swap for Owens?

In The South Stand

I don't think there is anyone on here who thinks Owens is good and i doubt you would find many who would want his contract to be renewed. But we can at least acknowledge players when they put the effort in and improve. As for comparing him with starting wingers well that's just daft, we all know he is backup.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drake920 View Post
    The list above (apart from Minikin) are the wingers who played in this round - Thornley, Michaels, Marsh & Monaghan all 3rd choice, all arguably offer more than Owens.

Cas - J Monaghan
    Leeds – Handley
    Wire - Penny
    Salford – Evalds
    Wigan – Take your pic
    Hull – Michaels
    Huddersfield – Ormsby
    Wakefield – Caton-Brown
    Widnes – Marsh
    Catalans – Thornley
    Leigh - Brown

Some very poor players there but again, which coach would do a swap for Owens?
    Probably very few of them in all honesty. As I said, I'm no fan but we need to compare him like for like with other 3rd choice wingers. Now we've done that, your point very much stands!
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

You're completely missing the point as usual. No-one is saying that he's 'Saints standard' or whatever else. I doubt you'll find anyone who wants his contract renewed. Jack Owens didn't sign himself but when he does play he gives absolutely everything he's got and when he has had a decent game or scores a try, people are pleased for him because they recognise the effort that he puts in. He's not fast enough or athletic enough but that isn't his fault, that's the hand he's been dealt with but you could never ever knock him for effort.

Until we start sending more of our young guys out on loan, Owens will stay in there. There's a big 'the youngsters can't do no wrong' culture on here especially but if we opened our eyes, we'd see that Grace/Bailey and these boys in the outside backs are miles from being good enough right now. We've got a first team squad with 10 or so players in there we can't pick. The smart thing would be to get these lads out on loan where they can play at a higher level against grown men but we've got them strolling about in a reserve competition that hardly any of the clubs genuinely care about. It's no wonder they wipe the floor with most teams every week.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Got A Season Ticket

The good news is that Lomax is back for this week, so Makinson can return to the wing. The bad news is that Swift is injured so Owens will keep his place :-)

Seriously though, I have nothing against Owens. Wingers are in the most exposed position on the field, where all of their errors are magnified. Remember Meli?? Darren Albert made plenty of howlers, as did Anthony Sullivan. And whilst Owens is no Albert or Sullivan, he gives 100% every time he plays, and we should give him 100% support every time he plays in the red vee too

Quote Originally Posted by KelCloset View Post
    The good news is that Lomax is back for this week, so Makinson can return to the wing. The bad news is that Swift is injured so Owens will keep his place :-)

Seriously though, I have nothing against Owens. Wingers are in the most exposed position on the field, where all of their errors are magnified. Remember Meli?? Darren Albert made plenty of howlers, as did Anthony Sullivan. And whilst Owens is no Albert or Sullivan, he gives 100% every time he plays, and we should give him 100% support every time he plays in the red vee too
    I absolutely take your point, but I must say I struggle to remember Darren Albert making a single mistake in his Saints career. I may be being misty-eyed, but I remember him being absolutely rock-solid.