Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Matty Smith

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twentyman View Post
    You slag the lad off, constantly.
    Get's him off Wilkin's back.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Jesus wept.

He's had a handful of games after a broken leg.What an embarrassing bunch some of us are.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Smith was dreadful on Friday. He offers nothing bar the spectacular drop off pass.
    I think your too harsh. He did some good stuff on Friday. He's improving along with the team in general and tbh from the hopeless position we were in a few weeks back I'll take that.

Banned

Pramtown is consistent with his or her diatribe.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furlongs View Post
    Pramtown is consistent with his or her diatribe.
    So is Twentyman to be fair, mention Matty and they appear.
    It's odd that the majority of their posts are about one player

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

To be fair, kicking aside, Smith never takes the line on and seldom even gets near the line to even tease or confuse the defence. He used to do this often when with Wigan.

So, I hope we can put this down to him coming back from injury. Let's give him time. But I hope his present style isn't going to continue much longer.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    So is Twentyman to be fair, mention Matty and they appear.
    It's odd that the majority of their posts are about one player

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Unfair that mate. Posted on a variety of subjects. I do admittedly find myself defending players but I'm still struggling to move with the times where it seems that slaughtering our own players is perfectly acceptable.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

All I'll say on the matter is you expect Smith to organise, and have a good kicking game, he's never going to be an all action half like Sean Long.

He's not a bad player, but he's out of form too

Banned

Matty is what we have signed, it is no great shock is it. Matty lacks pace and always has. On heavy grounds he is usually very good with his short kicking game. He has leadership skills and whilst we have signed him is a natural team captain. He will be ok with players with pace around him. Fages developing quickly is the key to Matty being effective. Effective is his bench mark.

Banned

Jack Owens, Matty Dawson, Peyroux and our former coach really bigging them up! That annoyed many of us being taken for fools by the club. I will cheer any lad giving his all if he is a squad filler, Fleming for instance I know he is not and will not be a centre of the calibre this club demands but he is quietly doing a job. Honesty and respect is what most fans want and Keiron "Gerald Ratner" Cunningham got that badly wrong.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    Of course it's acceptable. It's an opinion. I can"t get behind this idea that we should accept rubbish and not criticise, always thinking our players are marvellous. A quick glance at the league table suggests they're not that good.
    If a player is giving his all for the shirt then that's fine by me. It's up to the coach to do the culling if they're not up to the job and I acknowledge that one or two are not. However, I think we're all guilty at times of having it in for certain players, to the point where we ignore the positive things they do but shout from the rooftops the bad things they do because it reinforces our preexisting views on them. That happens an awful lot on here.

Noooobie

Too many players out of form lately. Think the new coach needs to take a broom through the place!

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    Every one of us would give our all. That's a pre-requisite. They've got to be good enough too. And if they're not, which many of these are not, we're entitled to say so.
    Players don't always give their all.

And yeah, you're entitled to slag off the players as much has you want. Good for you.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

If a player is giving his all for the shirt then that's fine by me. It's up to the coach to do the culling if they're not up to the job and I acknowledge that one or two are not. However, I think we're all guilty at times of having it in for certain players, to the point where we ignore the positive things they do but shout from the rooftops the bad things they do because it reinforces our preexisting views on them. That happens an awful lot on here.
    Most of us are giving constructive criticism based more on game observation rather than individual personal dislike, every single person who wears that shirt deserves our full support despite there limitations. Some new recruited players have come to us with varying degrees of expectation by way of there experience, skill set or future development, when we see those expectations fall short on a regular basis then its the fans only response to make an opinion based on what the majority of fans are seeing on the pitch.

Jack Owen, Dom Peyroux, LMS, John Wilkin, Morgan Ryan and Matty Smith have divided opinion on there efforts and performances so far this season, I don't think any fan is primed to be critical of the players mentioned we want them to do well.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Most of us are giving constructive criticism based more on game observation rather than individual personal dislike, every single person who wears that shirt deserves our full support despite there limitations. Some new recruited players have come to us with varying degrees of expectation by way of there experience, skill set or future development, when we see those expectations fall short on a regular basis then its the fans only response to make an opinion based on what the majority of fans are seeing on the pitch.

Jack Owen, Dom Peyroux, LMS, John Wilkin, Morgan Ryan and Matty Smith have divided opinion on there efforts and performances so far this season, I don't think any fan is primed to be critical of the players mentioned we want them to do well.
    Some are critical and that's fair enough but some don't acknowledge the positives and choose only to highlight the negatives in order to back up their own opinion. I'd go as far has to say there's a small minority who want certain players (or the team itself) to fail.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Given our recent turn around in form it does feel as though we are still hanging onto any negative we can. Rather than admitting it's a competitive league and we have positives to be thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Given our recent turn around in form it does feel as though we are still hanging onto any negative we can. Rather than admitting it's a competitive league and we have positives to be thinking about.
    Until we get a decent attacking structure in place that will always be the case, we have a decent defence but its our attack thats up and down like a fiddlers elbow that doesn't give us that air of positive confidence. We,ve got the players to promote it, but we know which players are playing below par.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Until we get a decent attacking structure in place that will always be the case, we have a decent defence but its our attack thats up and down like a fiddlers elbow that doesn't give us that air of positive confidence. We,ve got the players to promote it, but we know which players are playing below par.
    I'm not too concerned with our actual structure as such. We've got Fages taking first receiver on the left a lot more and that enables us to shift the ball quicker than we were early in the season. We mix it up quite well when we're in good ball in terms of our shape. We've got three genuine middle unit forwards to staty the game and Wilkin playing right side back row will benefit us too. It's a subtle change from Long but it will help us over time. We've missed Lomax enormously because the other two lads are not consistent passing threats. It's become more and more obvious over the last few weeks and we've left a few tries out on the field, on both edges. It's put more pressure on the halves to create something because there's only ever a running threat from full back. Some teams can get away with it when you've got pace to burn but we don't really. Put Roby and Lomax in and all our ball players will have more time, it's tough being without two players in key positions.

What's disappointed me though is we haven't adapted to that well enough. We haven't been patient enough and we've tried to magic things out of nothing, it's why we've made so many errors. I'd like to think we'll make less errors with those two lads in the team because we can play differently but as I've said previously, we need to be smarter and that's what's let us down. Even against Wigan and Cas there were signs of it.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Furlongs View Post
    Jack Owens, Matty Dawson, Peyroux and our former coach really bigging them up! That annoyed many of us being taken for fools by the club. I will cheer any lad giving his all if he is a squad filler, Fleming for instance I know he is not and will not be a centre of the calibre this club demands but he is quietly doing a job. Honesty and respect is what most fans want and Keiron "Gerald Ratner" Cunningham got that badly wrong.
    Entirely agree.

Banned

It's not as black and white as that pal and I'm sure you know that. And it's human nature to take a dislike to people.

Banned

I think we can put to bed the myth that he was suffering from poor ball from Lee.
    Last edited by markrvr; 13th May 2017 at 17:32. Reason: Autocorrect

Time to bring Richardson back into the 17, Matty isn't organising anything and keeps passing behind the player.

In The South Stand

Surely Matty sh!t gets dropped now and Richardson gets another go?

Got A Season Ticket

What a waste of cap space. I fully expect history to be repeated and Matty Smith shipped out on loan long before his contract is up.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by lee.ashtonsaint View Post
    Surely Matty sh!t gets dropped now and Richardson gets another go?
    As much as I agree with this. There isn't one person in this club with the balls to make this decision