Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Matty Smith

Learning All The Songs

Default Matty Smith

Bossing it tonight to be fair. Best I've seen him play. That kick for the Owens try was top class. But not only that, Wire couldn't get out of their own half in that first half and solid defence and his kicking were the foundations.

I'm glad we kept the goal kicking away from him too and we actually offloaded it a fair bit.

Good signs.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Makes you wonder if KC etc are bowing to fan pressure the way they are playing.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

I will give him credit as i thought he played with confidence considering he broke his leg a few weeks back, but bossing it is a bit far.
    Hes done 2 or 3 things that were really good but hes not bossed the game imo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I will give him credit as i thought he played with confidence considering he broke his leg a few weeks back, but bossing it is a bit far.
    Hes done 2 or 3 things that were really good but hes not bossed the game imo

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    How many times have Wired returned their ball from in front of their 20m line in that first half? Don't get me wrong, the kick chase has been good and our defence has been very good, but we haven't given them an inch and a lot of that is where they've returned the ball from

Learning All The Songs

Jinxed him, sorry guys.

Starting A Programme Collection craigo12's Avatar

He played well but there are still serious problems within the club that needs sorting out. Unfortunately I feel Smith's decent performance will mask these issues for a while.
    "When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro."

He waan't MoM thats for sure

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Sausalito View Post
    He waan't MoM thats for sure
    I'd probably say Percival over 80 but Smith for first 40 and I guess the game was won then. I wouldn't argue with it

Got A Season Ticket

He was MOM and deservedly so. He's got to do it week in week out. However I'm confident he will prove them people wrong who slated him for not being good enough to play for the club when we signed him.

Starting A Programme Collection

For my thoughts first game back he lead the team well ! The kick for the Jack Owens try was brill! He took a lot of pressure off Wilkin and I think he deserved the MOM

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

For his first game back after injury his kicking game was excellent except for the one that went out on the full. Don't think the Wire put him under too much pressure, probably allowed to ease into the game because of the poor opposition. He probably needs around 3 games to get going and organise the side a bit better.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    For his first game back after injury his kicking game was excellent except for the one that went out on the full. Don't think the Wire put him under too much pressure, probably allowed to ease into the game because of the poor opposition. He probably needs around 3 games to get going and organise the side a bit better.
    Disagree with the first bit. My only concern was that once he'd made the mistake of hitting it out on the full, his confidence took a hit and he then kicked two dead. There was no reason for him to doubt himself after his first half performance. I hope it was a one off.

Quote Originally Posted by teddlyf View Post
    Disagree with the first bit. My only concern was that once he'd made the mistake of hitting it out on the full, his confidence took a hit and he then kicked two dead. There was no reason for him to doubt himself after his first half performance. I hope it was a one off.
    I think the two that went dead were a bit unlucky on the bounce. His kicking was outstanding generally

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I think the two that went dead were a bit unlucky on the bounce. His kicking was outstanding generally
    First half, yes. Second half, Wilkin kicked better (that 40/20 <3)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

His kicking game at the end of the set was excellent, Ratchford never really got to take the ball on the full to return and make ground, the ones he did get was bombs and got hammered. It looked as though Smith was kicking at the post for a rebound a couple of times he managed one the other two went dead. For a first game back after injury he put in a better performance than what Walsh could ever muster.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

First game back after a leg break was miles better than when Walsh came back. Granted not the same injury but a leg break nonetheless. Controlled the game well. Confidence took a hit from the error but not surprising after the stick he's got since signing. All round good performance and he'll Only get better.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    First game back after a leg break was miles better than when Walsh came back. Granted not the same injury but a leg break nonetheless. Controlled the game well. Confidence took a hit from the error but not surprising after the stick he's got since signing. All round good performance and he'll Only get better.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Yes an excellent summary of Smith's performance. After a broken leg to play like that. Well you have to hold your hand up. The link up with Fages looked good. Both players having the ability to ship the ball out under pressure.

In The South Stand

To play for a full 80 mins only eight weeks after breaking a leg and put in that level of performance was excellent. When he gets back to full match fitness you would expect him to be even better. I don't think he deserved man of the match but it certainly was a strong performance all things considered and his kicking game in the first half was spot on.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Just started watching the game back, bet the guy who was dead set on Smith's return being too soon feels like an idiot now.

I'll be honest I wasn't pleased with the Smith signing but from what I've seen so far it looks promising and just like the chap above I got it wrong. I commented to my pals at the widnes game how different we look with a proper 6&7 and how long had we been playing without 1 or the other. Yes it's early days but promising signs are there. I wouldn't have given him mom myself but maybe in the context of being his first game after injury it was justified. He seems a decent lad that wants to do well for the club so fair play. Keep working hard matty

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Told you he would improve us substantially.He will get better with match fitness and will take on the line as well.
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

When Angela powers asked him about coming back to Saints his answer of "it's what I always wanted" seemed spontaneous and unrehearsed. It relaly did sound like he was being truthful.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    When Angela powers asked him about coming back to Saints his answer of "it's what I always wanted" seemed spontaneous and unrehearsed. It relaly did sound like he was being truthful.
    He's a St Helens lad, his family are massive Saints fans. Even when he played at Wigan you'd see him in the away end watching saints

Feel feel a massive second chance

In The West Stand

First half, yes. Second half, Wilkin kicked better (that 40/20 <3)
    Wilkin can kick well when its once/ twice a game.

To see Smith yelling at Wilkin at one point in the first half for getting in the way of a play was the most positive thing of all for me. It wasn't a perfect display by a long stretch, but there was a lot to build on. Cautious optimism.

A very solid debut by Smith. The vision and execution of the kick for Owens try was good, and fair play to Owens to for a committed chase to get to the ball first. The side looked a lot more balanced with Matty Smith in the half back role, and there are reasons to be positive today.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Smith is a great game manager and that's what we saw from him last night. Someone like Walsh might make more breaks and have a bit more flair but you get nowhere near the consistency of Smith.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.