Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Wakefield

In The South Stand

This would not surprise me if they did this. Plus with the RFL taking about considering bringing back licensing to gain a place in the SL in 2019, therefore ending promotion and relegation as it is today. If they did it then, bringing a 'new' team into the SL would be seen to be more palatable under licensing.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

The story from the other week obviously was a fore runner to this. I wonder if Wakefield have been given any incentive to maybe pursue this approach? Do we see Super League in 2018 with Toronto, Coventry or Newcastle? I can only imagine the clamour in Coventry and Newcastle for a Super League team! Toronto at least have some interest, but do we simply make a space for them because they are an expansion club in a big city in North America?

One thing is for certain. If Wakefield do 'voluntarily' give up their place, it won't be taken by a team that deserves it on merit that plays in the M62 corridor.

There are a lot of hurdles to go before it (even if it does) happens, but for me however undeserved the team getting the nod might be I would go for Toronto because the RFL need to be bold in their expansion prospects. The North American route may be more rewarding than in this country which has failed everytime it's been tried before.

Banned

Course, this might just be a tactic to try to force the hand of Wakefield council or other parties, who may be dragging their feet about something (I don't know, I'm just speculating)

On the wider issue, we need to make a choice as a sport. We don't have the financial clout of football, and the money in the sport doesn't even extend the full way down the top division, never mind into the second tier (only a few Championship clubs, independently funded by a wealthy owner, have any ability to pay decent full-time contracts). Without Sky's TV money, even SL clubs would regress to part-time status. We have a SuperLeague with concentrations of clubs in small areas which, whilst great for local rivalry, does little to attract interest from the wider British population.

In an ideal world, we'd have financial strength penetrating deeper into the sport, and have healthy promotion & relegation, all done on merit. But we have far from an ideal world, and if we are to survive as a full time sport, we need to expand our appeal. Previous attempts to expand geographically have largely failed, which doesn't fill one with optimism about future ventures. But without trying, we will gradually wither.

The key question me is not whether we should be looking to expand, but how to do this successfully.

From the bits and bobs I have read about Wakey and their ground issues, I get the impression the council don't give a damm about the club.
    As much as I don't want a club to fold and the fact I actually enjoy going to Wakey, the ground is an absolute mess and not anywhere near worthy of any pro club.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doghead View Post
    Maybe I am mistaken but I thought when we went back to promotion/relegation that was the end of franchising. Is there a franchise to sell? The RL said they would be open to the idea of clubs relocating, relocating is a bit different than selling a place at the top table. What would the top Championship teams think if someone from a lower division outbids them?

Starting A Programme Collection

That will be Tom Johnstone off to Warrington

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by cheify View Post
    That will be Tom Johnstone off to Warrington
    I think he'd be an asset for us!

In The South Stand

Opens up a lot of avenues, the condition of stadia is back on the agenda again, without a new stadium Wakefield fail.
    Looks to be interested parties from outside the heartlands who want instant Super League, Wakefield could of course be trying to force the councils hand over a new stadium.

Sad in many respects but not a place i would miss visiting to be honest and they do not bring a great deal to the party. Selling their Sl place? They should have been turfed out long ago for failing to fulfil the requirements of framing the future - the rule that only applies to Lancashire clubs.

Banned

Belle Vue is the only stadium which has gone progressively worse over the years. I first went in 1973 and it was tidy. The pitch length stand is as it was and facing this was an ornate seated stand for around a thousand, then behind the sticks a covered end with the same type of structure as the smaller side stand with the open kop at the other end. Capacity around 28000. Instead of repair or replace they just demolished everything.