Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian McDermott

Banned

Default Brian McDermott

He has done so much good for Leeds but following last season and the current campaign will he resign tonight or be pushed tomorrow.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I reckon he could be gone at the end of the season his legendary players have gone to get him out of jail. For me I can see Leeds offering Powell a big money deal with a couple of Cas players for 2018.

Got A Season Ticket

Got to go after that!
    Joke of a performance if you can call it a performance!

Who will be first to go KC or McDermott?

Would imagine both clubs would want Powell as the replacement; although as was said on another thread I can't see Powell leaving Cas now he looks to have built a team capable of challenging.

It maybe Powell goes to Saints or Leeds at the end of the season. If we got hammered like that I would expect Keiron to resign or be sacked the following morning!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Furlongs View Post
    He has done so much good for Leeds but following last season and the current campaign will he resign tonight or be pushed tomorrow.
    Do you think Leeds could go after KC to get a structure in place....?

Could be a case of whoever wants Powell (if indeed he was interested) or any other replacement may have to make the first move

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I reckon he could be gone at the end of the season his legendary players have gone to get him out of jail. For me I can see Leeds offering Powell a big money deal with a couple of Cas players for 2018.
    Would Powell go back to Leeds though ?

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    They treated him very badly last time. He was just starting to produce something and they got rid.

Powell has everything he wants and needs at Cas he isnt going anywhere.

McDermott will last the season and thatt'll be him then along with Leeds for a good 5 years i'd say. The re-building job there is huge

Got A Season Ticket Duke Eddington's Avatar

He will stay at Cas. Why would he go back to coach Leeds again, after being forced into an 'upstairs job' to facilitate Smith?

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

You have to admire him for his honesty, he generally tells it like it is and doesn't sugar coat it.

However, more performances like that or just struggling in general, and his brutal honesty could be his undoing as coach.
    RHINO balls are like Bon Jovi albums - Slippery When Wet

ST HELENS RFC - Back in business, Thank you Justin Holbrook.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Why would Powell leave Cas, it's not like football where a team could massively increase his wage. At cas he's comfortable, as long as he keeps them in the top six, he's got a job for life.

If he goes to Saints or Leeds there'd be an expectation of winning trophies

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Why would Powell leave Cas, it's not like football where a team could massively increase his wage. At cas he's comfortable, as long as he keeps them in the top six, he's got a job for life.

If he goes to Saints or Leeds there'd be an expectation of winning trophies
    It's not always about the money although I'm sure he would get a pay rise. Regardless of current form both Leeds and Saints are bigger clubs than Cas and his chances of achieving sustained success you would say would be greater.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Oldham_Saint View Post
    You have to admire him for his honesty, he generally tells it like it is and doesn't sugar coat it.

However, more performances like that or just struggling in general, and his brutal honesty could be his undoing as coach.
    Give over, he talks as much rubbish as KC. He came out with this pearler last night...

“As crazy as it sounds, I didn’t think we were miles off in the first half"

Learning All The Songs

There's no way he'll ever go back to Leeds after the way they treated him last time. Within the space of 5 years he'd gone from head coach to being shipped upstairs as Director of rugby, to going to Leeds Dykes and also shipped off to their then partner club York.

Obviously there is the bigger club, bigger crowds, bigger salary etc. He may want to go back there to prove a point from his past association with the club, but I think he would want to cherry pick a few bits of Cas to go with any deal.
    I think Powell needs to win silverware this season, great team to watch just wondering if they can keep it going until the business end of the season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Give over, he talks as much rubbish as KC. He came out with this pearler last night...

“As crazy as it sounds, I didn’t think we were miles off in the first half"
    At least he knows it sounds crazy.
    Learned comment from The Don

I think Powell needs to win silverware this season, great team to watch just wondering if they can keep it going until the business end of the season.
    This^
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Feel a bit sorry for him. A coach can only do so much.

Speaking of Leeds though, it just shows how easily you can fall from grace. Lose a couple of quality player to retirement, make a few bum signings, throw in a few injuries and presto, you're up s*** creek.
    When you look at the quality that we lost from 2007-2010 (Long, KC, Scully) its pretty impressive that we managed to maintain a decent standard and remain a top team. Whilst most of our academy players didn't progress as well as we would have liked the likes of Clough, Gaskell, Lomax, Wheeler, Dixon, Ashurst etc certainly played their parts in keeping us up there.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

I've never rated him that highly. Leeds have been a player-led club for years, as proved by them dossing around the finishing 5th two years in a row and then deciding to be bothered for a month. Sinfield, Peacock, Leuluia, Webb and co. ran that team. In 2015 I think a concerted effort was made to send Sinfield and Peacock off in style by trying the dominate for the whole season, which they did because they were the best team. But in no other year under McDermott have Leeds come close to their potential over a full season, despite being the most talented team and proving it in the play offs.

Now that the leaders are disappearing and the same player-led system has crumbled we are seeing Leeds crumble as well. He talks about 2016 like it was a dodgy six game spell or something. They were atrocious and even with some excuses you cannot hide behind them because Leeds were easily good enough to avoid the Middle 8s if they'd had the right attitude. I think massive changes are needed there, and he will be one of them.

When Leeds lose McQuire, Burrow and JJB from retirement all the last leadership qualities have gone from the team. I think its a reflection on the state of super league the quality of player is in rapid decline. Leeds might end up a team in and around that 8th team spot, similar with the Giants.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

When Leeds lose McQuire, Burrow and JJB from retirement all the last leadership qualities have gone from the team. I think its a reflection on the state of super league the quality of player is in rapid decline. Leeds might end up a team in and around that 8th team spot, similar with the Giants.
    You're absolutely right.
    For the last few years we have been hearing from Sky how great Jordan Lilley, Sutcliffe and Stevie Ward, Handley, etc. are and that they are the natural successors to Sinfield et al. The truth is they are simply not the same quality and have never kicked on. Sutcliffe is now 22, Ward is 23, Lilley is 20. They are not young kids any more and should now be taking that team by the scruff of the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldham_Saint View Post

I think that is his saving grace, he tells it how it is. But there has been no improvements in performances.

Would someone be able to come into Leeds and rebuild without the likes of Sinfield and Peacock, they have players with potential but can they do anything with it?

On the other hand, I can't help but laugh, friends of mine that are Leeds fans wouldn't listen to me when I said Leeds would struggle massively without Sinfield.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    You're absolutely right.
    For the last few years we have been hearing from Sky how great Jordan Lilley, Sutcliffe and Stevie Ward, Handley, etc. are and that they are the natural successors to Sinfield et al. The truth is they are simply not the same quality and have never kicked on. Sutcliffe is now 22, Ward is 23, Lilley is 20. They are not young kids any more and should now be taking that team by the scruff of the neck.
    Lilley is 20, he's played just over 30 games. He's still learning the game. He might not be a kid in age but he's young in his career.

Pity Swap Shop isn't on anymore. Perhaps we could have asked Noel to facilitate a swap of coaches with Leeds

To be honest I was more of a Tiswas fan. Perhaps we could have Sally James instead ��

The way I'm feeling at the moment I'd even settle for Spit the Dog.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    I've never rated him that highly. Leeds have been a player-led club for years, as proved by them dossing around the finishing 5th two years in a row and then deciding to be bothered for a month. Sinfield, Peacock, Leuluia, Webb and co. ran that team. In 2015 I think a concerted effort was made to send Sinfield and Peacock off in style by trying the dominate for the whole season, which they did because they were the best team. But in no other year under McDermott have Leeds come close to their potential over a full season, despite being the most talented team and proving it in the play offs.

Now that the leaders are disappearing and the same player-led system has crumbled we are seeing Leeds crumble as well. He talks about 2016 like it was a dodgy six game spell or something. They were atrocious and even with some excuses you cannot hide behind them because Leeds were easily good enough to avoid the Middle 8s if they'd had the right attitude. I think massive changes are needed there, and he will be one of them.
    As usual, spot on
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............