Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Wakefield (H)

Banned

Default Wakefield (H)

Looking ahead to the Wakefield game, I believe this will be a tough game and a close scoreline. I think Wakefield have threatened to win both matches they have played; i.e they have'nt been hammered and have enough form on board to pose a threat on Friday.

I respect the job Chris Chester has done at Wakey. I thought they'd be dead in the water after Smith did'nt work out for them, but they have cut their cloth and done as well as they can with the resource available. With Saints missing Matty Smith and Wilkin still overly interfering in play making, Wakey have two half backs who have opportunity to get on top and they'll look to open up space.

I think this could be a 4-6 point game either side. Especially as I think Saints will look to grind this one out given the poor perfromance at Leigh and the injury to Smith. Interesting to hear other observations/thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Looking ahead to the Wakefield game, I believe this will be a tough game and a close scoreline. I think Wakefield have threatened to win both matches they have played; i.e they have'nt been hammered and have enough form on board to pose a threat on Friday.

I respect the job Chris Chester has done at Wakey. I thought they'd be dead in the water after Smith did'nt work out for them, but they have cut their cloth and done as well as they can with the resource available. With Saints missing Matty Smith and Wilkin still overly interfering in play making, Wakey have two half backs who have opportunity to get on top and they'll look to open up space.

I think this could be a 4-6 point game either side. Interesting to hear other observations/thoughts?
    I suspect that our forwards will be smarting after being soundly whipped by Hock, Hansen, Acton and co., will come out firing and will have too much for the Wakefield pack. I don't expect us to be able to translate that advantage into as many points as we should, though. I foresee a solid but unspectacular/boring victory.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I reckon the team will create a false dawn and put in a great performance, hopefully Walker and Taia will play to open things up from the pack. Richardson and Fages must have more responsibilty in controlling the game, I,m almost willing Wilkin to pick up a niggly injury just before halftime to let Richardson and Fages off the leash.
    Hopefully Ashworth will come in for a Peyroux who is just not at the races at the moment.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I hope to see big changes in terms of our line-up, our attitude, our defence, our tactics and our execution.

I would love to see Walker and Taia in there for Douglas and Peyroux. If not Taia then Ashworth instead. We need to start with Roby and Walmsley too. As another poster said the other day, why not try racking up a decent lead with our best players in the first 20-30 mins instead of trying to start "steadily" and end up chasing the game?
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I reckon the team will create a false dawn and put in a great performance, hopefully Walker and Taia will play to open things up from the pack. Richardson and Fages must have more responsibilty in controlling the game, I,m almost willing Wilkin to pick up a niggly injury just before halftime to let Richardson and Fages off the leash.
    Hopefully Ashworth will come in for a Peyroux who is just not at the races at the moment.
    If Peyroux was a race horse he'd be holding shoe boxes together.

Agreed: Peyroux shouldn't be anywhere near the side on Friday. Ashworth and a jet-lagged Taia shoud both be ahead of him in the queue. I really wish he'd let Wilkin get on with being a forward, but I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully introducing Walker will make a difference. But I can't help but get that 'deckchairs on the Titanic' feeling after last week.

Start with Knowles and give Zeb a couple of 20 min spells

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Might be controversial but once Zeb settles in, I would play him starting loose forward and drop Wilkin to the bench. Wilkin is just not big enough for a back row forward these days, he lost bulk quite a few years back to play in the halves and is far too light for the modern game based on momentum.
    LMS, Thompson, Knowles, Ashworth and Peyroux in that order your remaining backrowers with Knowles developed towards being the next loose forward.
    I would play Roby for the first 30 mins in the first half and the last 30 mins in the second half with Wilkin/Knowles covering, unfortunately no place for Lee until injuries start to bite.

Learning All The Songs

LMS,Wilkin,Peyroux and Lee were half our forward pack against Leigh and fans wonder why we got beat

Learning All The Songs

It's going to be a dreadful game played in front of a sparse crowd. Saints to win by 8, so it'll keep the boo boys & girls quite for a few more weeks because everything is wonderful again.

Banned

Pramtown I still believe you are one of our six fingered country cousins, however, we all want the club to do well but judgement day is coming and it's Easter. Most fans are now so detached from Kez I think the damage is done. I hope he takes his headphones off so he can listen to his customers and I hope he stands pitch side from kick off. The forwards are generally fast track bullies in the red vee. Walmsley Peyroux LMS and sadly Thompson let themselves badly down at Leigh.

We will win this one and don't be shocked if he starts with Lee at half back. 12000 against Leeds on a Thursday and the following to Leigh minimum 3000 will have the bean counters in raptures and at present glosses over the rugby for them. However Gerald Ratner took his customers for granted and a fans favourite he is no more.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Furlongs View Post
    Pramtown I still believe you are one of our six fingered country cousins, however, we all want the club to do well but judgement day is coming and it's Easter. Most fans are now so detached from Kez I think the damage is done. I hope he takes his headphones off so he can listen to his customers and I hope he stands pitch side from kick off. The forwards are generally fast track bullies in the red vee. Walmsley Peyroux LMS and sadly Thompson let themselves badly down at Leigh.

We will win this one and don't be shocked if he starts with Lee at half back. 12000 against Leeds on a Thursday and the following to Leigh minimum 3000 will have the bean counters in raptures and at present glosses over the rugby for them. However Gerald Ratner took his customers for granted and a fans favourite he is no more.
    Not very positive comments from a so called saints fan.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

In the scheme of things, it's an important game for us in terms of how we play. We lost last week and we've got Catalan, Hull and Warrington on the horizon. It's impossible to predict how games will go this season because the standard is pretty similar across the league but we've got some big matches coming up. Win well this weekend and the players will pick up some confidence going into these games. We can't have anymore soft slip ups - we saw last year how tight that top four was at the end of the year and it's important that we work on a few things on Friday night.

Rugby can be a really simple game. You run hard, stay as a line defensively and play to where the space is. We need to be more clinical with the ball and turn the chances we do get into points and as I've said elsewhere, no more flying out the line defensively. I want to see Peyroux out for Thompson, Roby and Walmsley in from the start and if he is still set on Fages and Richardson (I'm far from convinced but I don't want to go into that again), we need Wilkin to play as a forward firstly. I want him to be a ball player but just not as often as he is.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Starting A Programme Collection

[QUOTE=Southport Saint;684497]LMS,Wilkin,Peyroux and Lee were half our forward pack against Leigh and fans wonder why we got beat[/QUOTE

Fielding a small pack means were always going to struggle certainly on defence, and attack as well. In addition Knowles and Robes don't exactly add size.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    LMS,Wilkin,Peyroux and Lee were half our forward pack against Leigh and fans wonder why we got beat
    A very good point. Last year I thought our pack was reasonable and stood up to most packs but I feel we have gone backwards physically especially in the back row. The only good thing is we have a re-inforcement coming in and none too soon.

Starting A Programme Collection

I'd personally like to see Ashworth given a game this week. I liked what i saw last season and he's very similar to Greenwood. He runs a good line and hits hard in defence. Peyroux should definitely drop out after last week. Start with Ashworth and LMS in the 2nd row with Taia on the bench and give him 15 mins in each half to break him in gently.

Learning All The Songs

[QUOTE=58er;684523]
    Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    LMS,Wilkin,Peyroux and Lee were half our forward pack against Leigh and fans wonder why we got beat[/QUOTE

Fielding a small pack means were always going to struggle certainly on defence, and attack as well. In addition Knowles and Robes don't exactly add size.
    Not so much their size I meant ability, we'll win nothing with them playing regularly