Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Daryl Powell 'is the man we need'

Got A Season Ticket

Default Daryl Powell 'is the man we need'

Can I just ask who on Earth thinks he would leave his current role to join Saints?! Sick of reading people suggest him as our new coach. More chance of getting Paul Anderson!

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by saint88 View Post
    Can I just ask who on Earth thinks he would leave his current role to join Saints?! Sick of reading people suggest him as our new coach. More chance of getting Paul Anderson!
    Why post this then ?

Castleford play some fantastic rugby and he is the kind of coach we need to get us playing the expansive stuff we like. All this bullsh*t about skill levels not being as high as they once were doesn't wash with me, it's just an excuse to gloss over the fact that we play some absolutely drab stuff. Did our coach and assistant coach really play in the most exciting teams we've ever seen or am I imagining things?

Anyway back on topic I think Powell is a great coach and I fancy Castleford to do really well this season and possibly even win some silverware.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Castleford play some fantastic rugby and he is the kind of coach we need to get us playing the expansive stuff we like. All this bullsh*t about skill levels not being as high as they once were doesn't wash with me, it's just an excuse to gloss over the fact that we play some absolutely drab stuff. Did our coach and assistant coach really play in the most exciting teams we've ever seen or am I imagining things?

Anyway back on topic I think Powell is a great coach and I fancy Castleford to do really well this season and possibly even win some silverware.
    providing they don't have major injuries eg Shenton missing the whole season .We play them on Easter Monday at home so it could be two bad defeats after the Pies whip us on Good Friday

Learning All The Songs

Money talks. If Powell is willing to move across the Pennines (and I imagine none of us know the answer to that), Saints would be a massive job for him. He'd get to coach in front of nearly twice as many fans for a much bigger club who would embrace his philosophy. He'd get a big wage boost too, make no mistake about that.

We just need to hope we get him before Leeds do in my eyes.

I don't understand his critics. Finish 5th with a side decimated by injuries last year and they've lost Dorn, Carney, Solomona, Chase etc. in recent years and they still play the same rugby and the lads he brings in all fit in and work. He makes average players look good. When was the last time we had a coach that did that?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teddlyf View Post
    Money talks. If Powell is willing to move across the Pennines (and I imagine none of us know the answer to that), Saints would be a massive job for him. He'd get to coach in front of nearly twice as many fans for a much bigger club who would embrace his philosophy. He'd get a big wage boost too, make no mistake about that.

We just need to hope we get him before Leeds do in my eyes.

I don't understand his critics. Finish 5th with a side decimated by injuries last year and they've lost Dorn, Carney, Solomona, Chase etc. in recent years and they still play the same rugby and the lads he brings in all fit in and work. He makes average players look good. When was the last time we had a coach that did that?
    Powell won't come to Saints he's seeing the "silverware lining" with Cas. It would put Powell back a couple of years trying to sort out a "rag, tag and bobtail" club like ours at the moment.

Learning All The Songs

Powell will not leave Cas. And as for money, there will be a lot to pay KC and Long if they are sacked

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    Powell will not leave Cas. And as for money, there will be a lot to pay KC and Long if they are sacked
    Surely its only 6 or 7 months of their contracts?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs yogi bear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maghullsaint View Post
    How much does it cost seeing attendances drop from 12k to 10k ??? Because that's what was happening last year and more of the same looks to be coming.

Starting A Programme Collection

Powell would be best-case scenario but I can't see it either. I'd imagine we'd have to look to Australia for promising assistants/junior coaches as there really isn't much available over here. Knowing Saints, we'd probably appoint Daniel Anderson and expect 2006 to happen again.

Learning All The Songs

Kieron has a contract until 2018, hasn't he?

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Castleford play some great stuff and were fantastic last night. They have the best full back in SL, The best '7' and overall halves combination/options as well. A good pack and plenty of strike out wide too.

And Phil Clarke made a good point about the whole Castleford coaching set up- Powell, Orr, Sheridan, they were all halves weren't they? And I think this helps. The try that Luke Gale finished off, from the Hardaker break, Gale said that they practice that move on the training paddock all the time. It would be interesting to know what influence Sean Long has on Saints tactics?

Regards,

STEVO

Learning All The Songs

Would like to have seen Paul Rowley at Saints.

In The South Stand

Although money does talk and Powell would be a good fit at Saints I just cannot see him leaving Castleford. At the moment they are a very good fit and I think he might be there for quite a while. He may never decide to go back to Leeds based on how he was shown the door last time. In many respects there are lessons there too. He went away as a less experienced coach and went to Featherstone and learned and proved what he could do as a coach before joining Castleford and has transformed them from relegation fodder to a highly competitive attractive team to watch. In the same way Kieron Cunningham should have done the same thing and got some more experience as a head coach away from Saints. I thought the same at the time he was appointed that it was the wrong move by the club as he needed more experience away from Saints in a different club environment be it in Australia, the Championship or at another SL club. At the end if the day it is very difficult to sack a former playing great whose statue sits outside the stadium.

Id never say never with Powell but at the moment I'd tend to say its not likely he will come here. One of the issues also now with Aussie coaches is that their price will have gone higher in the same way that NRL players and their salary cap has. Personally, I think it's now the reason why there are far less Australian coached teams in SL at the moment. A new coach isn't just the answer, the way in which our players are recruited, retained and scouted also needs a shake up.

Shows you though how a club can have as many match winners in a team...remember when we used to have more than one.

Sent from my P023 using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Castleford play some great stuff and were fantastic last night. They have the best full back in SL, The best '7' and overall halves combination/options as well. A good pack and plenty of strike out wide too.

And Phil Clarke made a good point about the whole Castleford coaching set up- Powell, Orr, Sheridan, they were all halves weren't they? And I think this helps. The try that Luke Gale finished off, from the Hardaker break, Gale said that they practice that move on the training paddock all the time. It would be interesting to know what influence Sean Long has on Saints tactics?

Regards,

STEVO
    No influence I'd imagine and I wish you'd pack it in with these daft "australianisms".

Banned

With any manager in any sport there's always a huge risk that they cannot reproduce the playing style and/or results once they move clubs. I'm not convinced by Powell; he seems to lack adaptability when his usual tactics aren't suited, and this is why Cas have put in some great displays over the past few years, but have always fallen short in big games.

There'd also be the problem of Rush, who, as has been explained by some of the really experienced & knowledgeable posters on here, got 'seduced' by the less-expansive brand of rugby deployed by Daniel Anderson, and has been committed to an even more boring/safety-first rugby since - hence why he's Cunningham's biggest ally at the club. Would Rush be capable of such a huge turn-round in the playing style culture of the club that Powell would try to bring?

I'm not convinced it is bull Dean. Absolutely no doubt in my mind that the quality of player has dipped massively in recent years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    I'm not convinced it is bull Dean. Absolutely no doubt in my mind that the quality of player has dipped massively in recent years.
    IMO, they're not coached to think (and play what's in front of them), but drilled to follow a strict gameplan.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    IMO, they're not coached to think (and play what's in front of them), but drilled to follow a strict gameplan.
    I couldn't agree more Webbo.

Learning All The Songs

Hope Powell stays at Cas and does well!

Starting A Programme Collection NortonSaint's Avatar

I personally don't think Powell would come to the Saints, another poor season at Leeds could see him move there. But in saying that all things are possible and at the end of the day money talks. When Saints tempted the great Jim Sullivan to leave Wigan I dare say people at the time thought that was improbable. That is what it would take someone of stature and new to the club.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by NortonSaint View Post
    I personally don't think Powell would come to the Saints, another poor season at Leeds could see him move there. But in saying that all things are possible and at the end of the day money talks. When Saints tempted the great Jim Sullivan to leave Wigan I dare say people at the time thought that was improbable. That is what it would take someone of stature and new to the club.
    If we consider the improbable, what about Ian Millard?

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    If we consider the improbable, what about Ian Millard?
    Not a chance. Not whilst EM is in charge.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Not a chance. Not whilst EM is in charge.
    Why not? Did something happen behind the scenes? I loved watching Saints when he coached the team