Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 535455152535455
Results 1,351 to 1,366 of 1366

Thread: Kieron OUT

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    No need to defend me mate, just the way it goes. He had a really, really good game today and as I say that's probably the best I've seen him play. I watched him play a month or so ago and the player I was with agreed that he was far from ready for first team rugby. There's a lot on here who probably haven't see him play before; those of us who have will probably agree his defence and reading of the game is below average. He went out there today though and did 99% of the things he was asked to do brilliantly.

I'd like to think I've made a few decent contributions and enough valid points since I came on here aged 18. Just the way it goes. He's clearly brilliant with the ball, it's just his defence that has concerned me in the past but I hope I'm wrong and he builds on today.
    The fact Grace wasn't targeted more is due to the fact it can be hard to target wingers as much as a centre as the ball is going furthest it can to the edge but also because Grace didn't look out of place.

There was an occasion in the 2nd half where he was isolated on the blind side on the Saints line and managed to wrap his man up well. It went unnoticed but it was good defensive work. I guess the test will be when he has to make more collusion type tackles and his positioning is put under the microscope more, but given the low bar that Owens set it was a promising start.

I certainly was one who has seen a lot of Grace and never doubted his pace, but have mentioned on here re his defensive deficiencies. I was glad he got picked when I saw the team sheet, if not a little nervous (for him and me). After watching him today I have to say it was a great debut. One error which in the scheme of things was quite big (not letting kick off go out on the full) apart he was solid. As said he was not tested too much defensively, but when he had to he was confident and assured. His pace will scare any team. He will have tougher tests and will make errors, but I am happy to be proved wrong about doubting he was ready.
    Credit to the coaches for picking him. Truth is we needed a change. I hope we give him a run now.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs

I noticed that. Plenty of players have fallen asleep in the same situation and I was worried.

I think it was more that Wigan, correctly, recognised that our right edge is our weak point so rather than attacking one player on one side, attacking a host of underperformers on the other makes more sense

I've watched Grace a few times and have to admit that I shared Tez's concerns about his defensive readiness for first team selection. Having said that, I am sure that it is easier to defend outside Taia and Percival than is the case in the U19s or Reserves.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I've watched Grace a few times and have to admit that I shared Tez's concerns about his defensive readiness for first team selection. Having said that, I am sure that it is easier to defend outside Taia and Percival than is the case in the U19s or Reserves.
    He is a little suspect defensively but that's the fine line with bulking him up for the level needed and bulking him up too much spoiling his running threat. As said outside Taia and Percy he is protected to some extent but defensively needs to sure his game up. Attacking wise, looks the part

In The South Stand

If he has the potential to score 20+ trys a season then you can overlook a certain lack of defence. He looked ok defensively today, he will make errors but his pace is going to worry many a team.

Starting A Programme Collection Oldham_Saint's Avatar

Might just be me, but when I started watching League in 1986 wingers generally weren't expected of too much defensively, albeit tracking back and/or dealing with opposing threequarters. I don't see how their role has changed all that dramatically over that period, aside from the size and physical nature of some wingers now.
    RHINO balls are like Bon Jovi albums - Slippery When Wet

ST HELENS RFC - Back in business, Thank you Justin Holbrook.

"I turn the TV volume down because these comedians on SKY are speaking a load of rubbish. They're making a simple game complicated with their long-winded, pointless jargon". Kevin Ashcroft

...I think it's a fair slogan for the World Cup. If you come to England and you don't like the weather, TOUGH TITTIES!!! Andrew Voss, PNG vs Samoa, 4:Nov:13

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Oldham_Saint View Post
    Might just be me, but when I started watching League in 1986 wingers generally weren't expected of too much defensively, albeit tracking back and/or dealing with opposing threequarters. I don't see how their role has changed all that dramatically over that period, aside from the size and physical nature of some wingers now.
    we had offiah he coudnt defend but he was lethal i think this kid will be awesome only problem nrl will be watching

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

I'm not going to knock Owens here, he gives his all but if one of our back 3 are out especially Lomax were loosing so much pace. Picking Owens because he can take a first carry up without dropping the ball is just negative. We had Roby and Lomax out yesterday and were desperate for some pace coming into the side, it was the correct call adding grace. Well done kid you took your chance, take a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen07 View Post
    Good on you for turning up to face the inevitable told-you-sos. I think we'll see instances of why you were concerned about Grace further down the line. He won't play that well every week. But in the context of what was keeping him out of the side it's clear that he should have been in before now. Even if he makes mistakes in defence in the future he's exciting to watch and that's priceless at Saints.
    Agreed. The type of player who will get fans putting their hand in their pockets again. It was like a breath of fresh air yesterday. As you say, he will make mistakes, but that's inevitable with a young lad, especially one who didn't grow up playing rugby league as far as I know

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Agreed. The type of player who will get fans putting their hand in their pockets again. It was like a breath of fresh air yesterday. As you say, he will make mistakes, but that's inevitable with a young lad, especially one who didn't grow up playing rugby league as far as I know
    It wasn't just about speed either, the way he jumped over escare was absolutely fantastic.

Similar running style to that of Robinson or Offiah

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    It wasn't just about speed either, the way he jumped over escare was absolutely fantastic.

Similar running style to that of Robinson or Offiah
    Always thought he's a bit more Mark Calderwood, slightly off balance but illusive and rapid

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Always thought he's a bit more Mark Calderwood, slightly off balance but illusive and rapid
    This is a better description I reckon

Learning All The Songs

Can live with a few mistakes if we keep seeing the lads passion, speed and flair. Those runs were the best thing we've seen at Saints for a long time.

If the young lads can play without fear of being thrown under the bus the future will be brighter.

Well done to the lad. Hopefully more to come

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Reminded me of Barrie Ledger , with his pace and swerve.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Phil Ford?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk